rayedrgn

Apr 1, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Three days ago I took in a friends English Bulldog, the owner believes he is around 3 years old, he has had little to no training and hasn't been socialized with other dogs or his surroundings. When I first got him he would constantly try to hump and display dominance over my passive 8 year old lab mix but the behavior has lessened after several corrections. He is not a bad dog but does have a few dominance and aggression behaviors that we are trying to work on. He will often make dominant eye contact with my older dog who has no interest in fighting or playing alpha and just wants to be left alone but sometimes the bulldog will persist and I will correct him, after being corrected he usually will walk away. I am thinking that getting him neutered might help a lot with his aggression and calm him down a bit.

He is rather playful and very food motivated which I have been using to teach him simple commands such as "down" and attempt to maintain some self control.

My question is what is the best way to correct him when he is displaying dominance and bad doggy manners like shoving his way first into a doorway before my lab and when is the line crossed from normal dog behavior and when the human needs to step in? I don't want to over correct and cause more harm than good. He has not bitten or caused any damage but he has gotten a bit snappy with the older dog over a raw hide bone, which I removed after the bad behavior. I am not real familiar with the breed so any good training advice or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• imgpsh_fullsize.jpg
    imgpsh_fullsize.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 336

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Three days ago I took in a friends English Bulldog, the owner believes he is around 3 years old, he has had little to no training and hasn't been socialized with other dogs or his surroundings. When I first got him he would constantly try to hump and display dominance over my passive 8 year old lab mix but the behavior has lessened after several corrections. He is not a bad dog but does have a few dominance and aggression behaviors that we are trying to work on. He will often make dominant eye contact with my older dog who has no interest in fighting or playing alpha and just wants to be left alone but sometimes the bulldog will persist and I will correct him, after being corrected he usually will walk away. I am thinking that getting him neutered might help a lot with his aggression and calm him down a bit.

He is rather playful and very food motivated which I have been using to teach him simple commands such as "down" and attempt to maintain some self control.

My question is what is the best way to correct him when he is displaying dominance and bad doggy manners like shoving his way first into a doorway before my lab and when is the line crossed from normal dog behavior and when the human needs to step in? I don't want to over correct and cause more harm than good. He has not bitten or caused any damage but he has gotten a bit snappy with the older dog over a raw hide bone, which I removed after the bad behavior. I am not real familiar with the breed so any good training advice or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading!

View attachment 111841

Hi and welcome!!

You need to take over show whoā€™s in charge. Get him on a leash, let all other dogs go in first n then he walks in. Repeat.....
Always use a firm NO n get up immediately go correct him on the spot. Regards with rawhide, get ride of that. Absolutely not good for any dogs. Forms a ball in the stomach n doesnā€™t digest. Plus itā€™s all made with glue n chemicals. Give them all marrow bones but make sure YOUā€™RE sitting there n keeping an eye out or let him eat it in a kennel. Heā€™s new to you guys so ir will take time n patience.

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
Can't give much advice.......but..sounds like you've got your hands full!!

Be patient.....when you get fustrated, remember it's not his fault ....he's never been shown any other way than what he is

Patience and diligent work, and you'll have a friend for life

OP
R

rayedrgn

Apr 1, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Thank you for the replies, he can be frustrating at times. I would have to say his most annoying habits right now is that he cant seem to sit still when we are in the family room together, he constantly gets up and walks around. I chalk this up to him being locked up in a cage most of the time and now that he isn't he doesn't seem to know what to do with himself. The second most annoying trait is that if my other dog looks like he licking,sniffing, something etc, he feels the need to come over and investigate constantly or be in his face to see what he is doing which annoys my older dog. :unsure:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for the replies, he can be frustrating at times. I would have to say his most annoying habits right now is that he cant seem to sit still when we are in the family room together, he constantly gets up and walks around. I chalk this up to him being locked up in a cage most of the time and now that he isn't he doesn't seem to know what to do with himself. The second most annoying trait is that if my other dog looks like he licking,sniffing, something etc, he feels the need to come over and investigate constantly or be in his face to see what he is doing which annoys my older dog. :unsure:

Geez, youā€™re describing Duke my white face. Nothing is wrong with constant walking or going to see why the other dogs is sniffing, licking something n he needs to investigate. It means you need to get him out there and exercise him. Duke is an over energetic EB. Itā€™s not all EB that sits, eat, sleeps all day or just be plain lazy. You have an active bully. Burn his energy! I walk 5km daily with both pups. Unless itā€™s extremely cold or hot I donā€™t but the sure move daily. I see why he has that behavior you first posted. Burn his energy and it will bring his behavior a few notches.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
You haven't had him long so he could also be stressed from the new environment. Monty paced and panted for quite some after we got him. The panting stopped after a few days but the pacing and what looked like not being able to settle continued. I can't remember for how long now. You have been given good advice from Helene and I am sure others will be along too. Do a search for 'nothing in life is free' on this site. It really helps with a dominant dog.

Found the link

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ioral/33985-life-free-training-technique.html

OP
R

rayedrgn

Apr 1, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Took him for an hour long walk today and last weekend he went with us on a hiking trail. It surprises me how much energy he has because i figured most bulldogs laid around all day and were tired, fat and lazy. I will be taking him to vet tomorrow for a check up to make sure that he doesn't have any worms or anything I don't know about.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Took him for an hour long walk today and last weekend he went with us on a hiking trail. It surprises me how much energy he has because i figured most bulldogs laid around all day and were tired, fat and lazy. I will be taking him to vet tomorrow for a check up to make sure that he doesn't have any worms or anything I don't know about.

From what Iā€™m reading you simply have an energetic bully. I have 2 of them. You are way better off having an energized ā€œbunnyā€ than a lazy one that sleeps all day. Youā€™ll have less health issues. I power walk mine while itā€™s still cool out there. Summers which arenā€™t that long but can get hot they have their kiddie pool outside and they play non stop. Good job on talking him on hikes!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You haven't had him long so he could also be stressed from the new environment. Monty paced and panted for quite some after we got him. The panting stopped after a few days but the pacing and what looked like not being able to settle continued. I can't remember for how long now. You have been given good advice from Helene and I am sure others will be along too. Do a search for 'nothing in life is free' on this site. It really helps with a dominant dog.

Found the link

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ioral/33985-life-free-training-technique.html

:up: exactly .... nothing in life is free'.... easy and very effective. this will work, but make sure all humans in the house are using the same commands and keeping the same limits so he stays in line. As for alpha between the dogs, they will work that out, but you will learn when to interject and make the necessary corrections. It might even settle down once he know that the humans are the leaders.

Not all bulldogs are lazy, it is a trait for sure, but some have tons of energy.. almost lab like, as Helene has mentioned about her Duke and Citty's Louie as well.

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
I commend you for taking him in and being interested and willing to work with him to become part of the family. I would definitely like ok at getting him neutered asap, as well.

He is a handsome fella.

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
I only have a 6 month puppy so I don't really have much experience. Mine is very food motivated too, so he really enjoys training sessions. His manners have gotten much better (except the humping) since we started training him. Plus the mental stimulation seems to wear him out which is awesome.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Sounds like my Louie...heā€™s my wild child. He turned 1 in February and heā€™s the Energizer Bumny...never stops. I just started sending him to daycare to help get some energy out and his second time there (last week) he had to go in a couple of time outs to help him calm down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taytoD

Dec 11, 2017
Chicago area
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tayto
Sounds like Tayto, too. He gets soo excited around other dogs. To the point of obsessive licking and sniffing. Nothing aggressive...but still rude ha!

Most Reactions