Sparky the Bullie

Sparky the Bullie

Sep 6, 2017
Hong Kong
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sparky
I would leave it on him during the day (supervised) until he is used to wearing it. Put his collar on just to take him for a walk, leaving the harness on. He will eventually accept it but we all know how stubborn they can be!

Totally agree! Will try leave it on him during the day and maybe give him a treat if he doesn’t fight. They are so food oriented so hopefully it will help get him to accept wearing a harness sooner. [emoji23][emoji13]

OP
Sparky the Bullie

Sparky the Bullie

Sep 6, 2017
Hong Kong
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sparky
OP
Sparky the Bullie

Sparky the Bullie

Sep 6, 2017
Hong Kong
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sparky
Hi, your baby is incredibly cute! Harnesses are considered safer, as they don’t press on neck and dog cannot get out of it. My bulldog was ok with harness, but I noticed that his fur in his armpits looked shaved, and the problem persisted no matter how loose I made it. So I stopped using it and we use a collar, for 2 years already. But I must say my Tank is extremely obedient and he is not a big puller. Even if he wiggles out of collar when sniffing other doggie, he will come to me to put it back.
If you still want to get your dog used to harness, first of all you mustn’t pull him like on photo. Bulldogs are stubborn, get offence easily and have good memory, so if he will make association between harness and pulling, he will hate it more and more. And he will make walks difficult for you, as he has, you know, four legs and being more stable and closer to the ground he can pull better than you:yes:

To make harness a positive experience for him, put harness on just before you give him food. So he will associate it with good things. Then leave it on for the whole day on. And never pull him. I know, bulldogs sometimes are very irritating with their ideas that they want to take a rest when you need to run home in time to get dressed for work etc...but, it’s better to pick him up and carry for a while than to pull. They are very intelligent and manipulative dogs, and unfortunately for anything you want them to do or move somewhere you have to 1) bribe them with treats 2) give a lot of positive feedback 3) if cooperation isn’t achieved just give up or nonviolently move Bulldog from place to place using your hands.

Great great tips! Thank you so much! Tank sounds like such a sweet dog! You’re right they are very stubborn. Sparky is also still young and likes to chase smaller dogs and jump on people. We do quite often need to pull him back from chasing or jumping. Especially with jumping, he once almost jumped on a little boy, his 31kg body probably would have crushed that poor little kid if we didn’t stop him in time. He was locked up in a storage room for 11 months before he got rescued so he didn’t know how to social. He is much better now.
Thanks again for the awesome tips!

OP
Sparky the Bullie

Sparky the Bullie

Sep 6, 2017
Hong Kong
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sparky
Never pull a leash from the front as it will never work. Stick to the side and get a “small” leash. No need to have a long leash to train just yet. Leave a little leash drag along with him so he gets use to seeing it at his side. Do this in the house. Pick up the leash and walk then drop it again n repeat....use treats!!!

Great idea will starting training him around the house. And will definitely use TREATS! We all know how food oriented they are! [emoji23]

OP
Sparky the Bullie

Sparky the Bullie

Sep 6, 2017
Hong Kong
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sparky
IMO, nothing worse than training any dog with a harness. Especially a bully where all the power sits in the chest. Harness are great once trained but I rather stick to a collar or choker IF you know how to use one. Small like that a collar n small leash will do for now. That’s my 2cents on harnessed pups.

It is not going to be easy. [emoji85][emoji23] He does walk a LOT bette on a collar. We’ll try and see if he can get used to wearing a harness.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
HOly cannoli.... he is freakin gorgeous!

I agree, this looks a little tight on him, try loosening it up and as Pam suggested leave it on while supervised at home let him get used to it

OP
Sparky the Bullie

Sparky the Bullie

Sep 6, 2017
Hong Kong
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sparky
HOly cannoli.... he is freakin gorgeous!

I agree, this looks a little tight on him, try loosening it up and as Pam suggested leave it on while supervised at home let him get used to it

Aww thank you! Yes it’s adjusted, we took the photos when we just got the harness and couldn’t wait to put it on him! [emoji13]

OP
Sparky the Bullie

Sparky the Bullie

Sep 6, 2017
Hong Kong
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sparky
It could be the type of Harness, my bully didn't like her's either (similar to your top pick). I bought one on Amazon that has padding under the belly so as not to cut into the arms, she likes this a lot better, it has a front clip and a rear clip (she's a puller so front clip works best for us).
https://www.amazon.ca/harness-Adjus...e=UTF8&qid=1523030812&sr=8-1&keywords=BARKBAY

Thank you so much! Will check it out. Right now he walks much better with harness. Think eventually he’ll get used to it.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Thank you so much! Will check it out. Right now he walks much better with harness. Think eventually he’ll get used to it.

oh i like this one.... size large for these guys prob? And glad your pup is doing better :) Hank still not fond of harness but he deals. I think it's hairs poken him.

OP
Sparky the Bullie

Sparky the Bullie

Sep 6, 2017
Hong Kong
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sparky
oh i like this one.... size large for these guys prob? And glad your pup is doing better :) Hank still not fond of harness but he deals. I think it's hairs poken him.

Hmmm, think my boy needs size EXTRA large. [emoji13] Thank you. Hank is a sweet dude!

Most Reactions