Help Needed! My bully doesn’t like harnesses

Sparky the Bullie

Sep 6, 2017
Hong Kong
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sparky
We’ve always heard and been told that harnesses are much better than collars for bulldogs. And we have used 2 harnesses on my bulldog and he does not like them at all. He refuses to walk when we put him on a harness, especially with the leash on. We have to pull him really hard to make him walk every time. He walks much better with a collar. So any suggestions on how to train him to walk with a harness or any tips would be great! Or we should just be patient and he’ll eventually get used to wearing a harness. [emoji13]

His first harness, was not an expensive one
9970ea4db271e600cdc6bcb7312c01e8.jpg

Refuse to walk
b0d5fc2a5480a2c1cb030abc011136b9.jpg

Then we bought him a Julius-K9 recently, same thing, refuses to walk
9057f980579191412986cab24b7f9bf1.jpg

f8b25bf54cabe4587f468f6277879743.jpg

Thanking you all!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
So doggone cute though! And not that this would make a difference but it looks a little bit snug ?. And Hank is not fond of harnesses either and he Loves to walk but will walk really weird for a while even now when I put one on him. at first though, I put his julius on and let him choose to walk or not around the yard and house etc. so at least he got used to it being on and now he will walk he just prefers a collar

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I would leave it on him during the day (supervised) until he is used to wearing it. Put his collar on just to take him for a walk, leaving the harness on. He will eventually accept it but we all know how stubborn they can be!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
SAME thing happened with Joey, she HATES HATES HATES the Julius harness but does great with this one, we're on our second one

View attachment 111728

Here is the link at Amazon if you are interested https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Dog-A..._rd_wg=aLh8k&refRID=RX31GGP1A34VF04HN295&th=1

This is what we have for Monty. So soft, and washable. It doesn't help a great deal when he plants his feet and refuses to budge but then, nothing would! I just have to stand and wait until he decides to move again.

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
I went through about 3, before I found the GES TACTICAL DOG TRAINING VEST, on amazon, works like a charm without choking no matter how hard he pulls.
check it out. I love it

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
This is what we have for Monty. So soft, and washable. It doesn't help a great deal when he plants his feet and refuses to budge but then, nothing would! I just have to stand and wait until he decides to move again.

Oh right??? Joey is a STOPPER on walks too, we will be a block or two from home on our evening walk and she decides to plant her butt down and gawk at passersby :)

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Hi, your baby is incredibly cute! Harnesses are considered safer, as they don’t press on neck and dog cannot get out of it. My bulldog was ok with harness, but I noticed that his fur in his armpits looked shaved, and the problem persisted no matter how loose I made it. So I stopped using it and we use a collar, for 2 years already. But I must say my Tank is extremely obedient and he is not a big puller. Even if he wiggles out of collar when sniffing other doggie, he will come to me to put it back.
If you still want to get your dog used to harness, first of all you mustn’t pull him like on photo. Bulldogs are stubborn, get offence easily and have good memory, so if he will make association between harness and pulling, he will hate it more and more. And he will make walks difficult for you, as he has, you know, four legs and being more stable and closer to the ground he can pull better than you:yes:

To make harness a positive experience for him, put harness on just before you give him food. So he will associate it with good things. Then leave it on for the whole day on. And never pull him. I know, bulldogs sometimes are very irritating with their ideas that they want to take a rest when you need to run home in time to get dressed for work etc...but, it’s better to pick him up and carry for a while than to pull. They are very intelligent and manipulative dogs, and unfortunately for anything you want them to do or move somewhere you have to 1) bribe them with treats 2) give a lot of positive feedback 3) if cooperation isn’t achieved just give up or nonviolently move Bulldog from place to place using your hands.

taytoD

Dec 11, 2017
Chicago area
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tayto
I don't have a harness recommendation, but just wanted to say he is sooo cute!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Never pull a leash from the front as it will never work. Stick to the side and get a “small” leash. No need to have a long leash to train just yet. Leave a little leash drag along with him so he gets use to seeing it at his side. Do this in the house. Pick up the leash and walk then drop it again n repeat....use treats!!!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
ya know it seems like it's 'something going over their head' that bothers them. At least hank... He looks up at it like 'what is that' which is what distracts him from walking. with the collar, the lead falls downward so doesn't 'spook' him. Just a thought in which I'm going to 'test' this afternoon as well ;)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
IMO, nothing worse than training any dog with a harness. Especially a bully where all the power sits in the chest. Harness are great once trained but I rather stick to a collar or choker IF you know how to use one. Small like that a collar n small leash will do for now. That’s my 2cents on harnessed pups.

OP
Sparky the Bullie

Sparky the Bullie

Sep 6, 2017
Hong Kong
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sparky
So doggone cute though! And not that this would make a difference but it looks a little bit snug ?. And Hank is not fond of harnesses either and he Loves to walk but will walk really weird for a while even now when I put one on him. at first though, I put his julius on and let him choose to walk or not around the yard and house etc. so at least he got used to it being on and now he will walk he just prefers a collar

That’s a brilliant idea! Will try leave the harness on him around the house so he gets used to wearing a harness.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.