Biting

Missy95

Jan 14, 2018
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Wyatt
Wyatt is 10 weeks old, and he wonā€™t stop biting. Heā€™s drawn blood on several occasions, and it seemike itā€™s all he want to do. Puppies play bite, but when heā€™s biting until I bleed, itā€™s unacceptable.how can I curb this?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=17963]Missy95[/MENTION] I have had, and raised a lot of different breeds. I found that English Bulldog Pups seem to bite more than any other breed! It is normal puppy "stuff" to bite,though. You can have a spray bottle of water, and squirt and say "no bite". You can stick a nylabone, or moose paddle in his mouth, and say no bite, here-bite this!
Or, you can use a can of rocks, and shake it(but I personally don't like that). I always gave them something that they could bite in-to replace me! It takes awhile for them to get the message-but if you don't give up, eventually they get it! It should be very little by the time they get older and lose their puppy teeth(4/5 months) It is all up to you! You have to be just as persistant(or more so) than they are! Hang in there!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Bulldogs never stop trying to chew their humans, their jaws are always itchy. Even big (mine is 2 yo) bulldogs like to gnaw dads (moms usually donā€™t encourage this) hands. But if your puppy BITES you, it is unacceptable. I didnā€™t get from your description what he really does - by biting I mean a quick attack. He must be stopped immediately with water spray, or grab him firmly by the neck and press him to the floor. Even a smack is appropriate as you donā€™t want this behaviour to imprint.
If he starts with gentle chewing your hands, and it gets stronger, then itā€™s normal play, then you must decide if you want this type of play - I donā€™t let my bulldog to chew me, as even gentle chewing leaves scratches on my hands, and it always becomes stronger and stronger, but my hubby loves tough play and he lets him to chew his hands. But by now my bully knows that mom is not for chewing and dad is!

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
get him lots, and lots of things to chew and bit on.

and like Manydogs was suggesting I used what we call 'The Green Gun"
kids neon green waterpistol filled with lemon juice, when he began biting I would yell 'NO BITE' if he continued to bite I squirted a little lemon juice on his tongue. he didn't like it.

only had to do it a couple of times,

now when he tries to bite, I yell NO BITE a couple of times if he doesn't stop all I have to do is show him the gun.

haile2066

Nov 1, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus and Brando
I have owned a couple of Rotts and now 2 bulldogs and I have always started sticking my hand in their mouths and say "no bite" at a young age and I do it often. They learn to associate my hand in their mouth as normal and not something that they chew or bite on. Now when I have to dig in their mouth to get something or just to look around, they go out of their way to not even hint at biting down. But if you're not comfortable doing that, then I would do what others say and get a water bottle with lemon in it. I wouldn't just use a water bottle, my dogs love water so they might associate it with a good thing...lol.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@Missy95 Biting is a natural puppy thing,when they are with the "pack" that is part of how they establish who is the alpha.You are the alpha Once you teach them that biting is a "no no", except when pups play with each other, and if it gets too rough,you stop them
As they grow, they should NEVER be allowed to bite anyone, especially their family. I have never had any dog who would bite me,I would not tolerate that. Gently pretending is a different thing,when playing.

OP
M

Missy95

Jan 14, 2018
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Wyatt
He has his brother now, but theyā€™re making each other bleed

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He has his brother now, but theyā€™re making each other bleed

Yes they will, part if being a puppy... try to redirect with toys, bones.... you'll lessen the scratches but not eliminate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.