Dog gets overly excited around little kids

SMSiegman

Jan 17, 2016
California Bay Area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Red
Red is almost 5 and gets overly excited around little kids. Especially kids that are around the one and half year age. He doesnā€™t bite he just wants to lick. I donā€™t have a lot of kids to take him around very often so Iā€™m not sure how to get him to behave. Please help

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Red is almost 5 and gets overly excited around little kids. Especially kids that are around the one and half year age. He doesnā€™t bite he just wants to lick. I donā€™t have a lot of kids to take him around very often so Iā€™m not sure how to get him to behave. Please help

I wish that I could help, but Joey, almost 3 years old, will also get excited around small children, and since the CHILDREN cannot be placed in a harness and leash, I keep Joey in harness and on leash to avoid any little ones getting knocked over and LICKED all over :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I wish that I could help, but Joey, almost 3 years old, will also get excited around small children, and since the CHILDREN cannot be placed in a harness and leash, I keep Joey in harness and on leash to avoid any little ones getting knocked over and LICKED all over :)

LOL! When my 2nd son was little, I HAD to have a harness and leash on him!! I think [MENTION=15352]SMSiegman[/MENTION] that [MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] solution may be the only one!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
LOL! When my 2nd son was little, I HAD to have a harness and leash on him!! I think [MENTION=15352]SMSiegman[/MENTION] that [MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] solution may be the only one!

OMG that cracks me up!!!!! If it were up to me, anytime little humans come to visit I would require a harness and Joey could be FREE HAHAHAHAHAHA

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
OMG that cracks me up!!!!! If it were up to me, anytime little humans come to visit I would require a harness and Joey could be FREE HAHAHAHAHAHA

Totally agree with that!! My son didn't learn to walk-he RAN! He would have disappeared in a split second-and of course he didn't listen. Hyper! The dogs listened-boy didn't !:fie:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Take him for walks near a small school or playground so he gets use to kiddies.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
First of all, they are of his size and he thinks they are his fellow dog buddies. Second, licking is usually a preparation for humping, as small kids in dogs opinion are suitable object for dominating behaviour. So, keep him under control around children. Petsafe collar also can help, if you want to use it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Sorry but licking is not a preparation to hump. Just a bad habit that some dogs have. God Duke licks every chance he can get. Been pushing his face away and a firm Stop Licking...heā€™s finally getting it. Once in a while I still have to remind him.

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
on our walks we go past the playground, (he's on a leash of course) and gets kinda excited with kids playing, it seems the louder they play the more he likes it.
There was a baseball game going on one afternoon, he got really amped up!! he looked at me like ' they are throwing a ball and running, and cheering, they obviously want me to join in!!!..........let me go mom!!'
I think he just wants to join in the fun

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you

Agree with Lynn... leash him so you can control the situation and he'll cone to know what is expected... Banks was like this as she just adored children and her size was too much so we leash her till she settled down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.