Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
We got a English Bulldog 3 weeks ago. He's almost 5 months old. He refuses to walk on leash, even when I have my son walk ahead of us and bribe him with treats. He digs in and refuses to move, or lays down. How can I make sure he gets enough exercise if he won't walk? I try to play with him, he won't fetch or chase a ball. He play bites if I try to engage him with a toy and to be honest the biting scares me a little.

Also, I crate him at night, and when I wake up to take him potty he refuses to leave crate. I have to pick him up and carry him outside. He will not come when told. And he's still not house trained. I take him out every 3 hours because when I tried to push it to 4, he went in the crate. He's already 25 pounds I don't think I can keep carrying him outside much longer. I figure at almost 5 months he should be a little quicker to learn some basic commands. He only knows sit, and will only do it if he thinks he will get a treat. I feel exhausted and like I am failing at training him. I know it's only been 3 weeks, please tell me it gets better.

We have dog training classes we will start in March. Until then, any suggestions?

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
Yep, sounds like a bulldog to me.
with the leash training, keep trying. Make sure you have a good harness, so that it dosen't cause breathing issues.
With Ty, it took about 4 solid hours of simply playing tug-o-war/dragging him before he got the idea.
Biting; Ty was/is a horrendous biter, but it's all play, I tried the loud NO! when playing began biting, that didn't have much effect.
Soooo.........I went to Walmart and found a cheap water pistol in the toy isle, it's neon green, filled it with Lemon Juice, when he began to bite I squirted it on his tongue, worked like a charm, only had to use it twice. Now if he starts get to rough, all I have to do is show him the 'green-gun'

another thing,.........while I don't particularly like to play rough with him, the Hub's does. So it's important that everybody is on the same page.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=18050]Delaney24[/MENTION] It sounds like your pup at 5 months old, had no training at all, and was left on his own, before you got him. It will be more difficult to train him, as most pups are purchased at an earlier age, and have had a lot of training /attention by 5 months,by their new owners. To the contrary, because he is 5 months,and had NO training, he thinks that he can do whatever HE wants. You will have to be patient, and consistant with him. Do not let him bite-do not be afraid, it is normal for puppies to bite, and he is behind in all things because he had no training at a younger age. You can do what has been suggested by squirting [MENTION=14954]Clermont[/MENTION] or When he goes to bite, put a nylabone in his mouth, and say "bite this!" (that is what I did...)Since he is biting, do not let anyone play rough with him, he need to learn respect first. As far as leash walking-do you know someone nearby who has a dog(that gets along with other dogs?) If so, try taking walks together. Use a harness, instead of a collar, as pulling on a collar will hurt his neck,and affect his breathing. Puppy classes will certainly help you, but keep trying in the meantime. It will take lots of patience, but it WILL get better!
Do not give up. Just come here and cry to us,ask for help,anytime! We all have had problems-even with younger pups, and older dogs!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
We got a English Bulldog 3 weeks ago. He's almost 5 months old. He refuses to walk on leash, even when I have my son walk ahead of us and bribe him with treats. He digs in and refuses to move, or lays down. How can I make sure he gets enough exercise if he won't walk? I try to play with him, he won't fetch or chase a ball. He play bites if I try to engage him with a toy and to be honest the biting scares me a little.

Also, I crate him at night, and when I wake up to take him potty he refuses to leave crate. I have to pick him up and carry him outside. He will not come when told. And he's still not house trained. I take him out every 3 hours because when I tried to push it to 4, he went in the crate. He's already 25 pounds I don't think I can keep carrying him outside much longer. I figure at almost 5 months he should be a little quicker to learn some basic commands. He only knows sit, and will only do it if he thinks he will get a treat. I feel exhausted and like I am failing at training him. I know it's only been 3 weeks, please tell me it gets better.

We have dog training classes we will start in March. Until then, any suggestions?

I find a good way to train any of my lifetime pups with a leash was yes a little harness on n off during the day so he gets use to it. Put it on give him a treat n with a Good Boy...remove while he’s sleeping. Once in a while hook the leash on n let him drag it the you turn it into a game with more healthy treats...grab the leash and walk around the house with him...do the same outside. Same scenario... treats like real dry liver...no grains...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Gang gave great info.... patience and consistency

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
Yep, sounds like a bulldog to me.
with the leash training, keep trying. Make sure you have a good harness, so that it dosen't cause breathing issues.
With Ty, it took about 4 solid hours of simply playing tug-o-war/dragging him before he got the idea.
Biting; Ty was/is a horrendous biter, but it's all play, I tried the loud NO! when playing began biting, that didn't have much effect.
Soooo.........I went to Walmart and found a cheap water pistol in the toy isle, it's neon green, filled it with Lemon Juice, when he began to bite I squirted it on his tongue, worked like a charm, only had to use it twice. Now if he starts get to rough, all I have to do is show him the 'green-gun'

another thing,.........while I don't particularly like to play rough with him, the Hub's does. So it's important that everybody is on the same page.

I'm going to try your lemon juice trick. With my luck he'll like the lemon juice, but we'll try it.

OP
D

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
I tried your leash trick and he's getting a little better.

OP
D

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
[MENTION=18050]Delaney24[/MENTION] It sounds like your pup at 5 months old, had no training at all, and was left on his own, before you got him. It will be more difficult to train him, as most pups are purchased at an earlier age, and have had a lot of training /attention by 5 months,by their new owners. To the contrary, because he is 5 months,and had NO training, he thinks that he can do whatever HE wants. You will have to be patient, and consistant with him. Do not let him bite-do not be afraid, it is normal for puppies to bite, and he is behind in all things because he had no training at a younger age. You can do what has been suggested by squirting [MENTION=14954]Clermont[/MENTION] or When he goes to bite, put a nylabone in his mouth, and say "bite this!" (that is what I did...)Since he is biting, do not let anyone play rough with him, he need to learn respect first. As far as leash walking-do you know someone nearby who has a dog(that gets along with other dogs?) If so, try taking walks together. Use a harness, instead of a collar, as pulling on a collar will hurt his neck,and affect his breathing. Puppy classes will certainly help you, but keep trying in the meantime. It will take lots of patience, but it WILL get better!
Do not give up. Just come here and cry to us,ask for help,anytime! We all have had problems-even with younger pups, and older dogs!

I think you are right about having no training. Can't wait to begin puppy classes!

LJJ86

Feb 4, 2018
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Jasper
We had the exact same problem with Jasper when we got him completely untrained at 4 months - feel your pain!

He's by no means perfect now at six months but getting better.

For walking I found it useful to do a combo of treats as a reward for walking forward, and also if he sat down and refused to move, I turned an started walking in the opposite direction. We spent a lot of time going up and down the same few feet of street but it did seem to get him unstuck!

He was a really mean biter as well that time outs and substituting a toy just didn't work for. If we sat and ignored him trying to nip feet and hands he would up the ante and try launch himself your face or try to grab your clothes and tear them. In the end we had to go for really firm pushing him away (like, his whole body right away from you) with very stern "no" which probably isn't ideal but he seemed to understand it.

We have also had real success with general naughty behaviour (stealing, trying to go in the bin) with the "naughty can" - an empty drink can with coins taped inside it. If you catch him in the act with his head in the bin he gets a shake of the can and a "no" and that seems to shock him enough that he stops (at least for a little while).

Good luck with the pup as if they're anything like Jasper they have stubbornness to spare! :D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online