Need a little help with walking

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
Hello all...so just quick recap and I'd be curious if anyone can give me some advice on what to do or change.
Moose is 4 and a half months old, we live in an apartment building. My issue is, he never wants to leave the apartment, walk down the hallway and to the elevator to go outside.
Once we are outside, he walks without issue. I take him for walks, he likes car rides. He even walks home without any hesitation. However, any time I open the door he just stands there and I have to lure him with treats for 10 minutes for him to walk 20 feet.
I know bulldogs are stubborn, but from your experiences, what can be done to make it easier to walk out. I think he's house trained as he hasn't had an accident in over a month and he knows where to go pee outside. So why isn't his instinct telling him I need to go outside to pee?

Thanks for your insight.

Jimbo K

Feb 13, 2018
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
All I can tell you is what I've experienced since I got my bulldog last September. She never lets me know that she wants to go out even though she hasn't had an accident in the house in months. She used to urinate in the house on occasion before I had her spayed, now it never happens. So that problem is solved...... Hopefully.

We're finishing up our second semester of dog school tonight, this will be the last week of ten. Prior to training her I had a similar problem, she wouldn't leave the yard on the leash. She still isn't perfect but I've seen great improvement.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Hello all...so just quick recap and I'd be curious if anyone can give me some advice on what to do or change.
Moose is 4 and a half months old, we live in an apartment building. My issue is, he never wants to leave the apartment, walk down the hallway and to the elevator to go outside.
Once we are outside, he walks without issue. I take him for walks, he likes car rides. He even walks home without any hesitation. However, any time I open the door he just stands there and I have to lure him with treats for 10 minutes for him to walk 20 feet.
I know bulldogs are stubborn, but from your experiences, what can be done to make it easier to walk out. I think he's house trained as he hasn't had an accident in over a month and he knows where to go pee outside. So why isn't his instinct telling him I need to go outside to pee?

Thanks for your insight.

Do this: get small treats, pieces of dog biscuits etc. Once he does go with you, give a treat and praise praise praise. Do it a few times on the way down as you're walking him and tell him what a good boy he is for coming down to potty. Do this every time you go downstairs with him. I'm not kidding. You will see a change. (I hope!)

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
Never a problem with Ty, just the opposite. HE LOVES THE OUTSIDE

but I did use training treats when potty training. Our code word is "wizzel" I would take him out tell him to wizzel, and when he did, praise, and training treats.
I was told once by somebody that bulldogs will do anything for food.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have never had this experience, as I don't live in an apartment. Is there something about the hallway/elevator that scares him? Is the floor slippery-does it have an echo when you walk? Is he afraid in the elevator? Since he does not seem afraid in the house, and outside, there must be something in hallway or elevator that he doesn't like. Try to observe him closely and see if he shows any reactions to the area. OR maybe he has you trained to give him treats!! [MENTION=4447]bulliemommi[/MENTION] As far as treats-I would buy some "super special extreme tasty" treats, and only give him them when you get in the elevator! He just may eventually WANT to go in the elevator!
Sorry I can't be of more help-this is just a theory that I would try, if I were having that problem.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
I have never had this experience, as I don't live in an apartment. Is there something about the hallway/elevator that scares him? Is the floor slippery-does it have an echo when you walk? Is he afraid in the elevator? Since he does not seem afraid in the house, and outside, there must be something in hallway or elevator that he doesn't like. Try to observe him closely and see if he shows any reactions to the area. OR maybe he has you trained to give him treats!! @bulliemommi As far as treats-I would buy some "super special extreme tasty" treats, and only give him them when you get in the elevator! He just may eventually WANT to go in the elevator!
Sorry I can't be of more help-this is just a theory that I would try, if I were having that problem.
Ohhh yes, all of that plus maybe the strange noises he may hear! Our bully would get scared of the silliest things sometimes even as an adult.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As suggested high value treat only used for hallway and elevator.... bulldogs are notorious for being afraid of inanimate objects

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Many bulldogs are like this in baby stage. Especially couple of months after leaving breeder, where they stay mostly caged. Sometimes they feel uncomfortable in bigger spaces after cage. May be, elevator produces sounds that he doesnā€™t like or vibrations? You never know, dogs have very sensitive ears, noses and other senses. First 2 months my bulldog didnā€™t want to walk outside apartment (he grew up in China). Actually, exactly like you describe, because we stayed 0,5 miles from the beach and he loved playing at the beach, but he was always not very enthusiastic about hallway and elevator.
Just carry him when he refuses to walk, itā€™s better not to attract too much attention to it, because bulldogs are stubborn, and the more you push, the less they want to obey. Most of them develop love for walking eventually. Very few prefer staying at home. Before we moved to the US and got a house, I told my husband that all dogs I had were crazy about walking, but our bulldog isnā€™t really. But now when he can run outside freely, he is very happy and the first to go outside.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
To distract him from the scary corridor, perhaps bouncing a tennis ball might help? As long as it doesn't disturb the neighbours or roll down the stairs that might be worth trying. Keep the dog on leash in one hand and the ball in your other hand and bounce it in front of him.

Members online

No members online now.