OP
L

LJJ86

Feb 4, 2018
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Jasper
Having looked at dog pens - would this be any different from just keeping him in one room with the baby gates? Do you think this would just move the toileting problem inside the pen when he is left in it? Would you put a pad in the pen or just work on the same premise of crates that they won't go where their bed is?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@LJJ86 These are the type pens that I used. The wire one, I had one side open,and put the crate there,and tied each side of the pen to it. I had it in my kitchen . I put a heavy plastic table cloth on the floor,(pen holding it down)-they had toys,and water. I also had a puppy pad in there. If they chewed it, I put a washable nursing home pad.
pup pen.jpgpuppen2.jpgThis was when they needed a nap,or when I left the house.

OP
L

LJJ86

Feb 4, 2018
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Jasper
@LJJ86 These are the type pens that I used. The wire one, I had one side open,and put the crate there,and tied each side of the pen to it. I had it in my kitchen . I put a heavy plastic table cloth on the floor,(pen holding it down)-they had toys,and water. I also had a puppy pad in there. If they chewed it, I put a washable nursing home pad.
View attachment 110913View attachment 110914This was when they needed a nap,or when I left the house.

Oh my gosh I wish I had room for that sort of set up! That pen is nearly as big as the whole room he has now :w00t:

I think a pen might be a plan though - bigger than a crate but will keep him away from stealing/chewing and hopefully little enough that his only option would be the pad. Would it be ok to have a pen big enough for his bed, his pad, water bowl and not much more?

Did your pups just eventually stop using the pad inside the pen in favour of toileting outside or did you use some other form of training?

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
I have that wire pen above and my 4 month old puppy can just about jump over it (30") and he actually got his paw caught in the wire trying. So unfortunately it didn't work for us, really wish it did. I am having the same issues with my puppy, he turns 5 months next week. This morning I took him for his crate upon waking outside, he went pee. Brought him in, he curled up on his bed and fell back asleep so I thought it would be safe to get dressed for work. I was out of sight for less than 5 min and he got up and went poo on the carpet in the next room. Its frustrating.

OP
L

LJJ86

Feb 4, 2018
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Jasper
I have that wire pen above and my 4 month old puppy can just about jump over it (30") and he actually got his paw caught in the wire trying. So unfortunately it didn't work for us, really wish it did. I am having the same issues with my puppy, he turns 5 months next week. This morning I took him for his crate upon waking outside, he went pee. Brought him in, he curled up on his bed and fell back asleep so I thought it would be safe to get dressed for work. I was out of sight for less than 5 min and he got up and went poo on the carpet in the next room. Its frustrating.

I feel your pain! I just caught mine in the act sneaking behind the door and crouching to poop, luckily I got there before him and successfully made it outside.

I'm tempted to try something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ellie-Bo-M.../B00IYP1O12/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Concerned about whether he could jump out or tip it over though as obviously I don't want a load of steel pen collapsing on him from trying to escape!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=18020]LJJ86[/MENTION] I have never had a pup that tried to jump over the pen. I know it will take longer to potty train when you have to leave them all day, but it can be done, eventually.
The best thing is if you are able to have someone come during the day, while you are at work. I never did, but did manage to train them eventually. Seeing the pen you posted, it is less likely to be pushed over,than the one I posted,but mine never tried.They usually do not like to potty where they sleep,so puppy pad opposite their crate. I would try to use washable nursing home pads, so they don't tear up the pad. Get on the most routine schedule you can. When out first thing in the morning-give them time to poop and pee. Sometimes it seems forever. Take them out immediately after eating,playing,and every chance inbetween!! Hang in there, it takes awhile.
Seems no one has enough patience-but IT CAN BE DONE(eventually!) The pen really does help,they cannot go wherever they feel like it!

OP
L

LJJ86

Feb 4, 2018
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Jasper
Quick update on this in case anyone is interested!

We got a pen like the one I posted before, big enough for his bed and a pad.

Gradual introduction went out the window since Jasper decided to eat my skirting boards the day after we got the crate so he was in at the deep end!

On the good side, he has taken to the crate really well and doesn't try to climb it or cry to be let out. We have had a few dry nights and even the day he ripped up the pad he still pooped on the little section that was left stuck to the floor:D

I am hoping this will eventually translate into him being able to hold it long enough to not use the pad at all....but maybe not because he snuck in there tonight while we were in the house and peed inside the crate when a pad wasn't even down....so who knows! At least it is on a pad on top of the patch of lino we used to line the crate rather than my floor I suppose?!

MindyD

Apr 7, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophia
Hi, just wanted to add to this with my thoughts/ concerns also. I got great advice from our vet regarding crate training. We have her crate in our living room and at night, we point it away from where people are going to walk, such as going to the bathroom, and we put a blanket over all sides except the one that faces the chair/wall. As soon as her crate is covered, she goes quite. I put some chew toys in there, but have never heard her playing or anything. However, with that being said, last night was the first night, she didn't poop in there. I had stopped feeding around 6pm and would walk her quite a few times before we went to bed around 10, and every morning, there would be poop. Last night, I fed her right before I covered her crate and no poop, this morning! Yea, I don't get it either...lol My husband gets up and 5 and takes her outside, then she gets in bed with me and sleeps until 8 ( like an alarm clock lol) so I guess slowly but surely, we are getting into a routine.

Sophia is 14 weeks old and we've had her just over a week, so it's definitely a learning process for all involved.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.