Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
I know everybody here has heard me talk about Ty's bad behavior,

well this is what happened yesterday;

In the kitchen when I heard a strange noise from the dinning room
found Ty had pulled up the corner of the rug and was using it as a toy; chewing, shaking

I screamed no at him he just looked at me, 'I popped his butt, and screamed no again' he thought I was playing!!!
so in the end I took him to another part of the house and closed the baby-gate.
HE THOUGHT I WAS PLAYING:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

Did I do the right thing?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I'll let someone else step in with the 'right or wrong' thing ;) but!!!!!!!!! dang dogs think everything is play,.. and this kind of cracked me up.. :unsure: sorry :)

OP
C

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
everybody tells me 'you gotta' get strict with him'
I can't bring myself to do anything harsher than a pop on that darling little behind, no matter how mad he makes me.
then 10 minutes later I'm giving him kisses and telling (in baby talk) how much I wuv him.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I can't bring myself to do anything harsher than a pop on that darling little behind, no matter how mad he makes me.
then 10 minutes later I'm giving him kisses and telling (in baby talk) how much I wuv him.

it's horrible the power they have over us!!! lol I got some stuff called "Pet Corrector".. It's a red can like thing that when you push the top, an air sound comes out and Hank detests it. I used it a few times (you don't shoot it AT them, just near them) as I have a sweet grandson and hank wanted to pounce on him no matter what else I did. It worked AMAZING! (it was recommended by someone here a long ways back) So long as you don't over use so they got used to it, he now knows if I even point to that red container, that I mean business and I never had to lay a hand on him. Look it us and see what you think..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

How old is he again?

Lambeau is 3 yrs old... he does this with out bedding -- not fun at all

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
it's horrible the power they have over us!!! lol I got some stuff called "Pet Corrector".. It's a red can like thing that when you push the top, an air sound comes out and Hank detests it. I used it a few times (you don't shoot it AT them, just near them) as I have a sweet grandson and hank wanted to pounce on him no matter what else I did. It worked AMAZING! (it was recommended by someone here a long ways back) So long as you don't over use so they got used to it, he now knows if I even point to that red container, that I mean business and I never had to lay a hand on him. Look it us and see what you think..
This sounds like a very good idea. [MENTION=14954]Clermont[/MENTION] I have never tried this method , but "spanking" a Bullie is about useless! A can of coins,the Pet Correcter,as mentioned,sometimes a spray bottle of water,works(sometimes)! I haven't tried any of these, guess I just got lucky with my dogs! Also I don't have much here for them to get into,except what is theirs anyway.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I have a spray bottle with part vinegar and part water that I will spray at the boys (mostly always Louie) when acting up with a firm NO. Usually if I just grab the bottle now and show him, he will stop. But not always, he's Louie after all.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey

So right!! I used (and think that I posted) the Pet Corrector, it worked WONDERFULLY !!!! Pet Corrector.jpg

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
what I did even, was, hold it behind my back so "I" was the power behind that awful noise. Thing is, they're smart and for some reason, he still figured out 'the can' and I tellya, I even mention or point to it and he nearly rolls his eyes and quits what ever nonsense he's doing. Funny how very little I've actually used :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You have received good advice from members above. I used the can of pennies, and it worked. I used the pennies when they were puppies if they nipped us, or if they were playing too rough with each other, it caightbtheir attention and they would stop biting on each other. I also used it if they tried to jump us. I haven't had to use it since they were pups.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Well, I'm no expert on these things, but we did use a bottle with coins when Castor was young. We would shake it once just as he was about to do something he wasn't supposed to do. Timing is essential (not easy, I know) - there is not much use shouting at a dog who has already destroyed something. Overall, I don't think shouting or slapping helps. You rather need to make sure he understands you are alpha.

Make sure he stays close - do not let him out of sight until you know he can be trusted. When you are in the kitchen, make sure he's there with you. Have you tried activity toys? Castor likes a cube that I full with kibble and that he then rolls on the floor to get out the treats.

If Ty has high energy levels - does he get enough exercise? Long walks and play (playing football, catching a tennis ball, etc) will tire out most dogs.

Sorry, perhaps you have tried all of this... :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.