Sudden "destructive" behavior

taytoD

Dec 11, 2017
Chicago area
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tayto
We leave Tayto (9 months old) out to do as he pleases because he hasn't caused any damage...until this week. Yesterday he chewed the side of a wall and today he chewed and unstuffed a couch pillow. I really don't want to keep him crated up or penned in during the day as I like that he is able to have some freedom, but is it time to enforce some boundaries?

He has a dogwalker that comes every day to at least break up the day. Any suggestions?!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I personally would crate or confine him when he is home alone. Louie is 11 months old and just based on his personality, I will be shocked if the day ever comes where he can have free range.

OP
taytoD

taytoD

Dec 11, 2017
Chicago area
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tayto
Yeah that was how we started but gave him a trial period of leaving him in the living room but gated off from kitchen and rest of the house. He hadn't touched a thing or left any "surprises" til this week. He must be going through the teenage angst period ha. We will probably have to confine him...

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yeah that was how we started but gave him a trial period of leaving him in the living room but gated off from kitchen and rest of the house. He hadn't touched a thing or left any "surprises" til this week. He must be going through the teenage angst period ha. We will probably have to confine him...

My Frenchie who is 4 can be trusted but Louie? No way. He has ants in his pants and cannot sit still so I know he would be up to no good lol. So in the crate he goes!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Tayto is having a "puppy rerun". His age is about when they rebel! I suggest that you use the crate again,or bad habits will develop .If he has a walker to take him out during the day,he will be fine. If you don't crate him,he may hurt himself,choke on something, and develop bad habits that may never be corrected.I think mine were 2 when I could do away with the crates.(some dogs you never can) I started with leaving them out for short times at first, [MENTION=17857]taytoD[/MENTION]

OP
taytoD

taytoD

Dec 11, 2017
Chicago area
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tayto
Thank you this is great info!! I will start confining him so he can't hurt himself. One of my coworkers has two bulldogs and said something similar and that bulldogs have a love for dry wall and ripping up things with stuffing ha.

pauline

Dec 30, 2017
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Hobson
Hobson hated the crate and just wouldn't settle in it, but we got him a puppy pen which he loves, it is very big. We put him in it at night and if we are going out, he settles instantly and I know that he is safe and so is my house!!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you this is great info!! I will start confining him so he can't hurt himself. One of my coworkers has two bulldogs and said something similar and that bulldogs have a love for dry wall and ripping up things with stuffing ha.

Yes crate. For his own safety. Can get to an electric cord. I wouldn’t leave Duke free. Pfffft he loves my shoes too much.

OP
taytoD

taytoD

Dec 11, 2017
Chicago area
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tayto
I am trying the pen today! We have used it when guests are over and he can't control himself ha. He is afraid of the metal so I know he won't knock it down (even though he easily could ha!)

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I am trying the pen today! We have used it when guests are over and he can't control himself ha. He is afraid of the metal so I know he won't knock it down (even though he easily could ha!)

Have you ever tried a camera to monitor his behavior while you are out? I used the ones that I could talk through while transitioning Joey from crate to run of the house. I still use them just to peek in from time to time while I am out.

OP
taytoD

taytoD

Dec 11, 2017
Chicago area
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tayto
Welp. Into the crate he will go. Dog walker reported he tore up his bed. 01_2018-01-18.9.02.jpg

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Welp. Into the crate he will go. Dog walker reported he tore up his bed.View attachment 110408

Oh, Louie doesn't get a bed/crate pad at all when he is home alone anymore. All he does is destroy them. I started just throwing a blanket in there with him but he is destroying that now as well. He sleeps in a crate at night and that is the only time he gets the crate pad.

OP
taytoD

taytoD

Dec 11, 2017
Chicago area
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tayto
Have you ever tried a camera to monitor his behavior while you are out? I used the ones that I could talk through while transitioning Joey from crate to run of the house. I still use them just to peek in from time to time while I am out.

I haven't but have thought about it! I just don't know if I'd get any work done cuz I'd be watching it the whole day ha

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Crate is a safe way for all of you.... at 11 months he has entered the toddler stage and is most likely bored while you are away.... I would crate him till he is at least 2 -3 yrs old... then start to see how much freedom he gets after that

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.