how to stop indoor marking

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
Since the weather has been miserably cold and Ty gets bored indoor all the time, his marking has really gotten out of hand.
He does seem to use the same places over and over,
is there any way I can discourage him?
I can't have my eyes on him each and every second, so I don't catch him in action. When I do find it, I bring him to it, and give a good scolding, ..........
and he in turn gives me The Bully Look......you know the one like 'I'm halfway ignoring you.......blah blah blah.......'

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
How old is Ty again?

In order for them to realize theyā€™ve done something wrong, you have to catch them in the act. Scolding them after the fact doesnā€™t really help as they donā€™t know why theyā€™re getting scolded.

Louie is just about 11 months and he loves to lift his leg and mark everything. Heā€™s not too bad in the house but he did recently pee on the toy basket and in Jaxā€™s crate. Yesterday he was on the deck and tried to pee on the propane tank but I caught him in time. Louie gets neutered next week so Iā€™m hoping that will help.

Are you using an enzyme cleaner in the spots he goes? That is supposed to help rid of the scent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
Ty is 18mo,
I had him neutered for that very reason to prevent marking.
If I do happen to see him get into position for a lift, I can say his name and a strong NO and he stops.
It hasn't been a problem till the past few weeks, (yesterday in paticular)
he loves to play outdoors, we live in the country with a huge fenced in back yard so him and his Boston sister get kicks out of treeing squirrels,
I'm really thinking he's bored.

And I use a Lysol wipe to clean the areas.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Neutered, castrations, vasectomy or keeping the jewels, if a dog wants to mark, they will mark. But thatā€™s another story. Wash everywhere with vinegar. I always keep a bottle 3/4 vinegar n 1/4 water. Make sure it goes in all cracks. Vinegar is the only product will kill any smell. And no it wonā€™t harm wooden floor. Iā€™ve been using water n vinegar to wash all my wooden floors for decades n my mom n her mom lol. No matter what you need to take him out for walks. Cold or not. I live in Canada and itā€™s been like a roller coaster here with +10 to -45 with winds. I put on their jackets if itā€™s -20 and more and off we go. Btw, how cold is it in your area?

OP
C

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
I'm in the north Georgia mountains, this week it's only been down in the 20's, last week we had single digit temps. thats without windchill.
we do go out for pee-breaks and stay out aout 10min making sure he goes,

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Since he usually marks in the same areas, as was suggested, use vinegar to clean. I have heard(asking @helsonwheels) that dogs do not like the smell of spearmint oil, and if you apply some to "his areas" he will avoid it. May be worth a try. Not putting it on the dog-on the pee spots.
Also let him go out and play! If you think it's too cold, get him a coat!! In the snow and cold today, my 5 had coats on and were outside while I cleaned the barn!
** One more thing-are you sure he does not have a urinary tract/bladder infection? [MENTION=14954]Clermont[/MENTION]

OP
C

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
no, not sure he doesn't have an UTI, would there be any other symptoms?
he drinks lots of water.

we'll take a trip to pet smart and get a couple of sweaters, so him and sister Boston can terrorize squirrels again.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
no, not sure he doesn't have an UTI, would there be any other symptoms?
he drinks lots of water.

we'll take a trip to pet smart and get a couple of sweaters, so him and sister Boston can terrorize squirrels again.
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION]. I never heard of dogs not liking the smell of spearmint but I do know they donā€™t like any citrus smell like lemons or grapefruit etc. They also donā€™t like mothballs, vinegar of course n chili peppers.

Yes if a dog out of nowhere starts drinking a lot I would have him checked out. How cold is it??? Dogs do climatize to the weather. Why Iā€™m asking how cold it is. Just depends. I donā€™t know your areaā€™s weather.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Well, Louieā€™s new thing seems to be peeing in Jaxā€™s crate. Heā€™s going to get it!! I told the kids to keep the door shut so Louie canā€™t get in. They listen just as well as Louie does [emoji849]

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, Louieā€™s new thing seems to be peeing in Jaxā€™s crate. Heā€™s going to get it!! I told the kids to keep the door shut so Louie canā€™t get in. They listen just as well as Louie does [emoji849]

Put the kids in the crate!

OP
C

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
Ty has always been a big water drinker, I think all the chewing he does makes him thirsty.
No issues yesterday, (fingers crossed)

Here in the Northeast GA mtns. we had a little sprinkle of rain late last night, so in turn it froze made a lovely sheet of ice, and this morning snow to top it all off. and the weather man predicts Sat. temps of 60's - gotta love this GA weather. :blush2:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ty has always been a big water drinker, I think all the chewing he does makes him thirsty.
No issues yesterday, (fingers crossed)

Here in the Northeast GA mtns. we had a little sprinkle of rain late last night, so in turn it froze made a lovely sheet of ice, and this morning snow to top it all off. and the weather man predicts Sat. temps of 60's - gotta love this GA weather. :blush2:

If your weather goes up n down like that on regular basis n more on the warmer side you donā€™t need a jacket. Stay outside longer. I walk daily for 30 mins or so n itā€™s way colder here. Play in the backyard with him like throwing a ball n fetching. At that age they love it. I know even myself I donā€™t always like staying out there cause of the weather but I have no choice. I got 2 pups and itā€™s my responsibility to make sure they have a quality life. Trust me when itā€™s -40 I really donā€™t want to go out but I do. I donā€™t want my dogs to be lazy n sleep all day as that create issues down the road. In your case heā€™s marking. Throw him out n praise him when he pees outside.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Here it is in the single digits. Outside water froze,having to chop ice and carry many buckets of water to the donkeys. Every part of my body is sore. Can't get out of here everything is frozen! Dogs run out,pee, and run back in and sit by the heat! Looking forward to the 60. Although everything will then be mud-I will take mud! This has been a rough winter here! But no matter,it could be worse and is mostly everywhere-(praying for Cali.)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Here it is in the single digits. Outside water froze,having to chop ice and carry many buckets of water to the donkeys. Every part of my body is sore. Can't get out of here everything is frozen! Dogs run out,pee, and run back in and sit by the heat! Looking forward to the 60. Although everything will then be mud-I will take mud! This has been a rough winter here! But no matter,it could be worse and is mostly everywhere-(praying for Cali.)

Funny how dogs get use to temperature as per where they live. My breeder all her 20ish dogs outside all year round. Yes even at -40 they all have beautiful runs, houses with straw etc. Summer they each have a pool n umbrella lol.. all they need is their margarita....lol I swear I went over and they are all happy campers.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.