Help Needed! Why does my bulldog always pees n his blanket or anything soft I put in his kennel? He won’t pee on non soft surface

Schultz1503

Oct 11, 2016
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and Tink
So frustrating I hate having to have to be in the kennel on a hard surface can never put a blanket or cushions he will P on them every time. I can never buy him a doggy bed just to lie on this is crazy. is there anyway to snap out of this habit? I’ve heard the Bulldog breed tend to do this. is this true? And he is 5 yrs old FYI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Yes, this is special bulldog trait:Dnever ever I would believe that healthy adult dog can pee on his own bed...until I got a bulldog:excited:when they see something soft, they pee on it. We rent a house with hardwood floor in the 1st level, but 2nd floor is carpeted. We had to ban him from the 2nd floor, as this pig wants to wee there. Bathroom rugs are also his favourite spot, so I usually close the door. Otherwise I find a yellow spot on my white rugs. This is bulldog, baby!i tell to myself putting carpet into washing machine:yes:d

dont worry, they can perf3tly sleep on the hard surface, no actual need for bed. Rolls of fat on bulldog can serve as bedding for them:)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
My guys don't pee on their bedding, but they eat them. I can't put any beds, pillows, blankets or towels in their crates because they will tear them apart and eat the stuffing from the beds and pillows and they will eat the towels. They also can't have any soft toys like Stuffies for the same reason. They sleep on their crate trays, which I feel bad about, but it's for their safety. They do have a pillow bed to lay on during the day when they are up, but can only be on them when they are with us.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Louie doesn’t pee on his bedding but he rips everything up so when he’s crates and no one is home, he’s on the hard tray as well. He gets a crate pad at night when’s sleeping.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=16440]Schultz1503[/MENTION] This is a common trait amoung many Bulldogs. Why?? That is the mystery! I am lucky mine grew out of it. I "think"(and someone will know) that it is even more common with males. At Jeffers.com they have cusioned plastic covered mats they call "prison beds". They are the same as prisoners use. I know [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] has the same type mats,but purchased elsewhere that they use. Maybe that would work for your "child"!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
If you have no choice, remove all. Or... Wait a few days n reintroduced the blanket with a firm NO PEE!! and see what happens. Repeat n scold him Again....But after 2-3x stop and remove all. It worked with Duke. Animals in the wild don’t have blankets.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Duke is one clever boy:yes: Tank listens to my scolding,looks very guilty, shows remorse with all his body wiggling...but when he is alone at home...sometimes yellow spots on my snowwhite rugs appear if I’m so stupid that I forget to close the bathroom
door:D

juju07

New Bullie Mommy
Dec 18, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
OMG Brisket does the same thing. His pen is in the living room which is all tiles but his crate is in my room which is all carpet. He has a patch of grass in his pen to pee on, so I thought he thinks of my carpet and all the rugs at home as grass. I thought it was just him lol Hopefully, he outgrows it

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
OMG Brisket does the same thing. His pen is in the living room which is all tiles but his crate is in my room which is all carpet. He has a patch of grass in his pen to pee on, so I thought he thinks of my carpet and all the rugs at home as grass. I thought it was just him lol Hopefully, he outgrows it

This patch of grass actually teaches him exactly what you said - any grasslike surface is for peeing. I don’t think it’s the best idea to use that grass to pee, as it is too complex for dogs to make difference between grass patch and bathroom rug. I always propose to use for emergency peeing dogs toilet with pads. It’s inexpensive and works magic, as puppy can’t eat the pee pad. And easy to clean, just change pad once a day usually. May be check something like this

https://www.overstock.com/Pet-Suppl...ViYizCh1WYQ9YEAQYCiABEgKkBvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
We've had 2 of 20+ of our own that peed on bedding. They slept in crates with no bedding. One slept on a horse pad...thick rubber material that can be cut to size, the other on the hard plastic kennel liner.
You might consider a Kuranda Bed. Just make sure you order one that will fit inside your kennel. We have one of those for Zoey as she'll eat any other type of bedding.

juju07

New Bullie Mommy
Dec 18, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
This patch of grass actually teaches him exactly what you said - any grasslike surface is for peeing. I don’t think it’s the best idea to use that grass to pee, as it is too complex for dogs to make difference between grass patch and bathroom rug. I always propose to use for emergency peeing dogs toilet with pads. It’s inexpensive and works magic, as puppy can’t eat the pee pad. And easy to clean, just change pad once a day usually. May be check something like this

https://www.overstock.com/Pet-Suppl...ViYizCh1WYQ9YEAQYCiABEgKkBvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thank you so much! Will definitely try it this week. :yes:

OP
S

Schultz1503

Oct 11, 2016
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and Tink
Great advice and experiences glad my boy isn’t the only one lol

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Look into Primo Vinyl Crate pads, they may work for you. We have them in all our crates.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.