bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
Hello all and Happy New Year! As mentioned in my other thread, we have a 13 week old puppy. I am looking for some advice being a first time dog owner...

We've had our bully Moose for a week and in that short period of time he's gotten comfortable and learned a lot. When in his playpen, he has learned to go to potty on the training pad (although sometimes misses the pad:whew:) I'm now able to sense when he has to go to the bathroom and if he is with us playing or laying on the couch I take him to the playpen and he does his business.

My question is as follows, how can I train him to go to the playpen for potty when he is out and playing with us. It seems like he doesn't remember the spot if out of the playpen he will pee and poop everywhere. I still can't take him outside as he is not fully vaccinated and it's freezing and we live in an apartment building.

Thank you in advance.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have never trained with pads.. so unfortunately have no advice.

I'll tag a few members that might have some suggestions

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
No pads here either...always had a yard to allow them to go in. I'll run this by Sandy and see what she says.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
At first YOU will have to be trained to take him to the pad. When he is this young,you need to have a few pads around. You have to learn the signs of when he is going to potty,grab him up, and take him to the pad-fast! As he gets "with it" and learns that a pad is the place to go, gradually you can remove the other pads, and have your pads in the pen.

OP
bulldogs1501

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
At first YOU will have to be trained to take him to the pad. When he is this young,you need to have a few pads around. You have to learn the signs of when he is going to potty,grab him up, and take him to the pad-fast! As he gets "with it" and learns that a pad is the place to go, gradually you can remove the other pads, and have your pads in the pen.

Thank you for your comment. As I read more and get advice from you and others, I'm realizing it all comes down to lots of repetition. It would be great if they could learn in 2 weeks, but I know that's not the case. I can tell when he has to poop as he gets fire under his belly and starts running around and sniffing so those accidents are rare. I'll keep at it and I'm sure in a few months it will be a lot better.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Having had many breeds of dog over the years, I found that Bulldogs take longer to "get it", than any other breed I've had! [MENTION=17893]bulldogs1501[/MENTION] hang in there!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.