FERRARI31

Dec 19, 2017
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
NONE
Hello

So let me give you all the info sofar and then I would love to hear some things I may be doing wrong or right to help this go smoother.

So to start I got Bruno on 12/23 and he was born 9/28

I know a schedule for a new pup is most important thing to get him potty trained so I have tried my best to adhere to it

The first 3 days/nights he did pretty well went out of his crate a few #1 accidents but thats it...with that being said the first 3 nights I did wake up to a crate full of poop.

The first night I had no schedule so I really won't count that...
night 2 I tried making his area in the crate smaller...still pooped
night 3 I fed him at 530pm and nothing after....still pooped

night 4 until now I set my alarm for 3-330am depending on this last time out and that seemed to do the trick
NO MORE MORNING BATHS AND POOP CLEAN UPS

Now I will tell you a typical day schedule I have him on

630-7am take him out he does #1 and 2

then we lay in my bed for an hour or so(we both catch about an hour nap)

8am he eats and drinks(then I usually put him in his crate for 20min)

820am I take him out and he does #1 and 2

11am take him out he does #1 and 2

2pm take him out he does #1 and 2

5pm take him out he does #1 and 2

then he comes in and has dinner

530pm take him out he does #1 and 2

9-930pm take him out he does #1 and 2

1130-12 take him out he does #1 and 2

3-330am take him out he does #1 and 2

ok with that said there is a lot of crate time in-between and always when nobody is watching him...and he always goes from crate directly outside.

So here are the mishaps I have encountered sofar
(keep in mind I have help when I am at work and cannot do it myself ...friends, my kids and mother)

1. he has peed when playing with us on the couch in the in-between times

2. Saturday (2 days ago) my mom came to take him out, he went out did both got praised and was given a treat then went back in his crate, well it wasn't locked correctly and about 15 min after my mom left he got out and pooped in the dining room. Luckily she came back and took him back out and then got him back in the crate. Keep in mind this was within 30 min of him originally going

3. Sunday NYE, a pee accident in the crate but I did run a little late and he was in there for 4 hours

4. Sunday NYE after going out and doing both we were playing on the couch and he pooped on the couch about an hour after going outside

5. Sunday NYE after bringing him out after the poop incident. he went in his crate for about half an hour then came out, I brought him outside he peed and then came back in and we were playing on the couch and he peed again

6. This morning, did our normal routine and about 5 min after eating he was in his crate and pooped in there(I luckily caught it half way and he stopped and finished outside)

Thats all of it

Any and all help input would be greatly appreciated

There is also a local trainer here that does a PUPPY BOOTCAMP that is 14 days of which he claims to do all training

only bad thing is its expensive and the puppy will be away for 2 weeks

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
First...Welcome [MENTION=17886]FERRARI31[/MENTION] and you will find tons of great info in EBN.

Now my first question which I don’t see anywhere, what are you feeding the little guy.....like what brand and how much you feeding him? Do you give him extras like oils, what kind of treats you give him etc. you basically need to answer these questions so we can guide you. He’s a pup n from what I see of the numerous pooping he does in 24hrs it has to do with the food.

OP
F

FERRARI31

Dec 19, 2017
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
NONE
My bad

I feed him about a cup and a half twice a day
NULO PUPPY Chicken and sweet potato grain free

and he gets 1 treat after going outside
Bil-Jac original recipe

Also his poop(not to sound gross) is of normal consistency not watery in any way

and he is 18.7lbs

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My bad

I feed him about a cup and a half twice a day
NULO PUPPY Chicken and sweet potato grain free

and he gets 1 treat after going outside
Bil-Jac original recipe

Also his poop(not to sound gross) is of normal consistency not watery in any way

and he is 18.7lbs

Ingredients :

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Whole Peas, Sweet Potato, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols & Citric Acid), Lentils, Pea Fiber, Deboned Turkey, Natural Chicken Flavor, Yeast Culture, Salmon Oil (Source of DHA), Dried Chicory Root, Potassium Chloride, Dried Carrots, Dried Tomatoes, Dried ...

I personally find there is too much "meal". Meal =300×more protein...Here's a link that will help you.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing-dog-food/about-meat-meal/

Also if you are not already subscribe to dog advisor, I would subscribe as its a great link to keep on hand n they send you all the recalls if there is any.

"Meal" is ok but not in every meat thats in the bag. I also find chicken makes my dogs poop more. I personally feed them raw n Acana Grassland for supper only. They both will be going full raw after the two bags are done. If you do the math, raw basically comes out to the same price as kibbles. Goes by weight of the dog.

One more thing, your dog is still a pup takes time to adjust their pooping habits. I went there all this tons of pooping. I changed the food n it started to get better slowly... also puppy food is very rich.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hello

So let me give you all the info sofar and then I would love to hear some things I may be doing wrong or right to help this go smoother.

So to start I got Bruno on 12/23 and he was born 9/28

I know a schedule for a new pup is most important thing to get him potty trained so I have tried my best to adhere to it

The first 3 days/nights he did pretty well went out of his crate a few #1 accidents but thats it...with that being said the first 3 nights I did wake up to a crate full of poop.

The first night I had no schedule so I really won't count that...
night 2 I tried making his area in the crate smaller...still pooped
night 3 I fed him at 530pm and nothing after....still pooped

night 4 until now I set my alarm for 3-330am depending on this last time out and that seemed to do the trick
NO MORE MORNING BATHS AND POOP CLEAN UPS

Now I will tell you a typical day schedule I have him on

630-7am take him out he does #1 and 2

then we lay in my bed for an hour or so(we both catch about an hour nap)

8am he eats and drinks(then I usually put him in his crate for 20min)

820am I take him out and he does #1 and 2

11am take him out he does #1 and 2

2pm take him out he does #1 and 2

5pm take him out he does #1 and 2

then he comes in and has dinner

530pm take him out he does #1 and 2

9-930pm take him out he does #1 and 2

1130-12 take him out he does #1 and 2

3-330am take him out he does #1 and 2

ok with that said there is a lot of crate time in-between and always when nobody is watching him...and he always goes from crate directly outside.

So here are the mishaps I have encountered sofar
(keep in mind I have help when I am at work and cannot do it myself ...friends, my kids and mother)

1. he has peed when playing with us on the couch in the in-between times

2. Saturday (2 days ago) my mom came to take him out, he went out did both got praised and was given a treat then went back in his crate, well it wasn't locked correctly and about 15 min after my mom left he got out and pooped in the dining room. Luckily she came back and took him back out and then got him back in the crate. Keep in mind this was within 30 min of him originally going

3. Sunday NYE, a pee accident in the crate but I did run a little late and he was in there for 4 hours

4. Sunday NYE after going out and doing both we were playing on the couch and he pooped on the couch about an hour after going outside

5. Sunday NYE after bringing him out after the poop incident. he went in his crate for about half an hour then came out, I brought him outside he peed and then came back in and we were playing on the couch and he peed again

6. This morning, did our normal routine and about 5 min after eating he was in his crate and pooped in there(I luckily caught it half way and he stopped and finished outside)

Thats all of it

Any and all help input would be greatly appreciated

There is also a local trainer here that does a PUPPY BOOTCAMP that is 14 days of which he claims to do all training

only bad thing is its expensive and the puppy will be away for 2 weeks

Hi and Congratulations on your new baby. Schedule is the most important thing you can do to train your dog.
It could be the food is not agreeing with his as many bullies are sensitive or allergic to chicken and grains. Also the amount of food as well, usually a puppy will eat 1 cup of puppy kibble 3 times a day until they are 6 or 7 months old, then they are switched to adult kibble and reduced to 1 cup of kibble twice a day.

The rule of thumb is that a puppy can hold their bladder for 1 hour for every month of age. So at 3 months of age your puppy can hold his bladder for 3 hours, so he should be taken out once every 3 hours, and then add an hour every month, so at 4 months he should be taken out every 4 hours. When they are 5 months old, your puppy should be hold for 5 to 6 hours. So they should be taken out every 5 to 6 hours during the day, with the last walk or potty break before you go to bed at around 10 or 11 pm. While they are puppies I set my cell phone alarm for 2 am since its way too long for a puppy to hold from 10 pm all the way to the morning. This is just a temporary thing just like a baby, once they are about 5 months old, you can eliminate the 2 am potty break and they should be good until the morning. Also when a puppy is excited from playing or lots of attention, they can have accidents or dribbles, this will also pass, but the puppy should be taken out before and after playtime to avoid accidents.

When I was training my guys, this is the schedule that I used:

6 am. Take the puppy outside for 1st potty

6:30 am. Feed puppy 1 C of kibble, place puppy in the crate for 10 or 15 minutes and then take out for potty break.

Take the puppy out every 2 to 3 hours during the day, and also after eating or after play.

12:00 noon. Feed the puppy 1 C of kibble, and then crate the puppy for 10 to 15 mins, and then take puppy out for potty

Keep taking the puppy out every 2 to 3 hours during the day.

6 pm. Feed the puppy 1 C of kibble, then crate the puppy for 10 to 15 minutes and then take the puppy out for potty.

6:30 pm. Take the puppy out again for a potty break.

10:00 pm. Take the puppy out for his last potty break before you go to bed.

2:00 am set your cell phone or alarm clock and take the puppy out for a potty break.

6:00 am. Start schedule all over again. Lol

this seems like a lot of work and it is, but training a puppy is like having a baby in the house. It is temporary, and by the time the puppy is 5 months old, you can eliminate the 2 am potty break, and taking them out every 2 to 3 hours.
Once they are 5 months old, they can go out every 5 or 6 hours. Good luck.

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
being a somewhat new bully owner myself, only additional advice I can give is...............PATIENCE.
It won't happen over night. I've had Boston terriers and Boxers all my life.
Terriers are very fast learners, boxers too.
Ty has taken a while.
but he's caught on. when we go outside for a "wizzle break" I ALWAYS go to the same spot, and highly highly praise afterwards, now he goes to the door, I have to watch him carefully though, he only gives me one chance

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
and if I've learned nothing else these last 20 months.

THERE'S MORE TRUTH TO THE PHRASE BULL-HEADED" THAN MOST P0EOPLE KNOW

he is stubborn

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN!!!

agree... that is way too much poo in 24 hours. Foods is the issue here and a great guideline for puppy feeding
8 weeks1/2 cup 3 times a day
12 weeks2/3 to 3/4 cup 3 times a day
4 & 5 months3/4 cup 3 times a day
6 months to 1 year1.25 to 1.5 cups twice a day

Also for potty.... they can only hold 1 hour more than they are old, so 3 months .. is 4 hour limit, but don't push it.
always take out immediaty when oming out of crate, waking up or at end of play session.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
I was feeding Bella too much when she was a puppy for almost a week... she was a poo monster! Woke me up every hour on the hour trying to get to the back door. (made it outside most times)
I found something on the internet that's how I figured out MY mistake! Lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online