Crazy for guests

taytoD

Dec 11, 2017
Chicago area
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tayto
Tayto is 8.5 months old and is a sweet well-behaved boy when itā€™s just myself and my
Husband around. But when someone new comes over he turns into crazy Tayto. He wants to be all over people and even when we redirect/say no he is relentless. We even will put him in a blocked off area and he will whine and bark incessantly.

I always feel bad because he is mostly a sweetie when itā€™s just us but I donā€™t think guests believe it.

Any advice?

OP
taytoD

taytoD

Dec 11, 2017
Chicago area
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tayto
Oh, and as soon as guests leave heā€™s a big lump on the couch of course. AC06259A-D00D-4C82-85EA-48EAC940989A.jpeg

Mutsch Harvesting

Jan 1, 2016
SOUTH Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brosco
Tayto is 8.5 months old and is a sweet well-behaved boy when itā€™s just myself and my
Husband around. But when someone new comes over he turns into crazy Tayto. He wants to be all over people and even when we redirect/say no he is relentless. We even will put him in a blocked off area and he will whine and bark incessantly.

I always feel bad because he is mostly a sweetie when itā€™s just us but I donā€™t think guests believe it.

Any advice?

This is kinda hilarious because brosco does same thing
He thinks people are there to c him routine is always same greets the person run over to his living room stands on his couch and barks then gets his toy take it the person then runs it back and buries it so the person canā€™t touch it
We tried bribing him with snacks to sit and be quiet but he would continue behavior stop for the snack and go back showing whoever he is the king of the domain
Since he is the king and spoiled we now meet people in other parts of the house where he cannot come into
Our guests know he runs the roost so they bring him treats instead of us.....which seems to help a little but not much
Yep he is spoiled but a good dog he goes to sleep just like your bully after the company
They are precious and only grace us with a short time so we just put up with it
Probably not the advice you want to hear but thought cute to share ....

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
had to double take as thats my Hank and seems to be another bulldog thing! I often send pics of hank within seconds of my family leaving of him sacked out. they cant believe it and always gives them a laugh. Hank is nearing 2 and is just starting to be settle enough for them to even pet him when they come over. I just quit putting him in another room and let them deal with him and he now understands its THEM that want him to behave not ME ;) I think that helped. Also, not letting my grandson come in and immediately start playing w him. Grandson now comes in. Playes a game (oh thats hard to get him to do...ha!) and then plays on his time. even though i could keep him off people, his excitment leval was always there. He could behave, just not settle.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Very normal bulldog behaviour! He CANNOT behave or listen to you as usual, as he is too excited, all his little soul is overflowing with joy that these nice people came to visit him and he can show his love to humans! There is no way to stop it, guests have to bear with it, or leave:yes: my Tank will just cling to guests, giving them slobbery kisses, jump on them (which is strictly prohibited at all times) and nothing helps. He just cannot contain himself, because he is 60 pound blob of love, and you have to experience his love, no mercy:no: or you can lock him in the bedroom. But he lies under the door and gives heartbreaking sighs, and then you feel like a party pooper:) so tell your lady guests not to wear stockings, just jean and everyone be prepared for bulldog love shower:w00t:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
How would they like having 5 acting like [MENTION=17857]taytoD[/MENTION] ?!! That is what I have-every one overly excited! Arrgh!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Lol Lynn...

Same here. Mine are getting better as I tell the humans to stand straight n not to bend over them to pet or say hi. You need to ignore the dog till they settle down. Yes I know itā€™s hard. If youā€™re standing straight you can lift the knee n knock the furball out of their position.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Yup, sounds typical. Anytime someone comes over my boys go crazy, crazy, crazy. After time, they settle down on their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Anyone who comes over knows that Bella will be greeting them (no matter what) but after that few mins you are lucky if she gives you the time of day. If she really likes you be ready to have a toy brought to you, but don't try and touch the toy, just see it (maybe feel it pushed into/onto you) until the next new person comes in anyway. Then she is on to them! Lol

OP
taytoD

taytoD

Dec 11, 2017
Chicago area
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tayto
Lol seems I am not alone here. The problem now is he humps guests too! I can deal with the excited jumpiness but don't want him humping people. He's so strong too and locks his paws around your leg and goes to town...you have to pry him off lol

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Lol seems I am not alone here. The problem now is he humps guests too! I can deal with the excited jumpiness but don't want him humping people. He's so strong too and locks his paws around your leg and goes to town...you have to pry him off lol

Lol... Bella has done that to my hubby at times. (yes SHE has!) It's pretty funny. And yes when she uses her paws it's hard to get anything away from her.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Yeah, some dogs start humping, but you must check him out and observe what particular behaviour precedes humping, usually itā€™s licking peopleā€™s hands, and when you figure out, you have to say firmly NO before he starts unsightly activities. Difficult to stop in process :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Try leashing him before company arrives and stay on leash till he settles down.... my two are the same way, but we have been training them to sit when someone enters and the guest cant touch till they sit.... sometimes, it works šŸ˜ƒ

Members online

No members online now.