Growling while Playing

taytoD

Dec 11, 2017
Chicago area
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tayto
3FC964F5-A555-49AC-9374-215A53C6D1F0.jpegWhen my 8 month old Tayto plays with his toys he likes to growl and bark. I assume this is normal play behavior but want to make sure itā€™s not aggressive. I think he just gets so worked up and excited itā€™s like an emotional release ha.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
What you describe sounds normal to me. Louie who is 10 months old always growls and barks at Jax (4 year old Frenchie) when he wants to play.

OP
taytoD

taytoD

Dec 11, 2017
Chicago area
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tayto
Thanks guys!! So excited to be here. EBD are the best/such funny creatures.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Normal! My two growl so loud when playing (especially tug o war) that I frequently need to pause the tv. [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Omg, when my Tank plays, youā€™ll think he wants to tear you apart! It sounds so vicious, but he never was aggressive to anyone even he is at the peak of excitement. He bites soft, just playful. Itā€™s normal for dogs to growl loud and bark when they play.
If you want to make sure he knows that you are alpha, and always in control, train him to stop the play with Enough! or Stop! and gently, but firmly press him to the ground by the neck, just over his shoulders, until he lies down.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree.... sounds normal, but next play session, if you can.. video and post for us to see.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Chunky growls when playing tug but he really isn't even pulling the toy so its all part of playing.

Members online

No members online now.