Potty Training a former puppy mill momma

maggiemoo

Dec 10, 2017
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie Moo
We adopted a rescue bulldog that was a former momma at a puppy mill. She has made tremendous progress as far as socialization, but I am still struggling with one area of potty training. She will not potty randomly in the house when we are home. However, the problem is when we leave the house. We put her in the laundry room and she will potty on the floor in there - but only when left alone. She will potty in her crate - appears she lost all instinct to not "soil her den" when she was confined for so many years - so crate training is not an option. Currently I am leaving puppy pads in the laundry room when we are gone, but I would love to teach her to hold it until we return. Has anyone had success potty training a former mill dog?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I have no experience of this but am so happy that you have taken care of her! And what a cute name - Maggie Moo! As long as she functions well in other respects and doesn't potty in the house when you are home, I would probably just put paper on the floor in the laundry room when she's on her own at home and try to minimize the time she needs to be at home alone.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
It’s amazing progress, in my practice puppy mill dogs never got right, but Maggie made really huge progress! I don’t know if you can beat this last little piece of a problem, but did you ever tried dog toilet with pee pads? I used it like a safety net when Tank was learning toilet and it helped a lot. It prevents dogs from eating pads, looks not too ugly. And cleaning is easy, you just change a pad.

https://www.amazon.com/Richell-Trax...TF8&qid=1512949156&sr=8-5&keywords=dog+toilet

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It sounds like this is an anxiety problem, not a "potty" problem. The suggestion that @Lalaloopsie gave is a good one. My aunt had a very sweet cat, who all of a sudden just freaked out and was unfriendly and terrified. After trying several remedies, her Vet suggested using this
shopping
It worked wonders(but one for cats..) and the cat turned completely around and became her sweet self again.This shows a pic. of the refill, but there is a plug-in for it. This may help her anxiety of being alone, and could help with her pottying in the room. I say it's worth a try.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I was thinking anxiety as well... try leaving an old t-shirt with your scent on it --- see if it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.