Help Needed! My puppy won’t go for walks!!

BaileyBulldog mummy

Nov 15, 2017
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
90EFF28C-E973-4186-8DA7-F422B313392B.jpegHi there. I’m a mummy to my first EB Bailey. He’s 15 weeks old and has been able to go out for walks for 2 weeks however I am losing patience �� I know they are stubborn but this takes the biscuit! I put the lead on and he just stands completely still and I have to drag him. He is good off a lead in the park - he is slow but does follow me no problem. It’s just I need to know how to get him to walk on a pavement on a lead. Ive tried treats but even his faviourites are not enough to get him going- all he wants to do is head towards the house or Car ������ I’m sick of everyone laughing at me dragging my bully. HELP!!!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Don’t drag him, it is not helping, looks awful and you will make him even more reluctant to walk. He is most probably scared of big spaces after small kennel where he stayed as a baby. Small puppies usually are like this. Be patient and kind to him, almost all bully babies do this in the beginning. Look how small he is and how endless world around is! When he stops walking, just pick him up and carry for some time, kissing this sweet snout. It will give him courage to walk a bit more. Then put him on the ground and walk him a bit, praising and feeding him treats. Then pick up again if he stops. You must make walk a pleasant experience for him, not stressful. Don’t worry, he will overcome his fear. Just be patient.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
He's just a baby it takes time to train them to use a leash. Give him time and be patient with him. Good luck!

OP
B

BaileyBulldog mummy

Nov 15, 2017
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
I know it’s only been 2 weeks but when I’ve taken him out every day for 14 days and we are still in the same boat I’m worried it’ll never get better! I suppose I expected to put a lead on and he’d just walk!?!?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
First let me say he is a cutie pie...oh my goodness!!

But agree with others, he is still a baby and they all go through that. I was lucky if I was able to get Louie to the corner and back, he just wasn't interested at all and now he is 9 months old and watch out! He loves to go for walks. So be patient and just keep doing what you're doing.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
He's just a baby and this sounds normal!

I would lift him up and carry him from your house to a place close by which is calm but yet so that he can see the pavement, people, cars, etc., and then I would just hang out there for a while. Perhaps there is a bench you can sit on and just watch people and cars? Four years with Castor have taught me that there are days when bulldogs stand still even though you tell them in all ways possible that it's time to move. Castor is an agile and happy guy, but also known in town as the dog that doesn't move. I was only today talking to my teenage son about the fact that Castor behaves just like my son did when he was small - we could stand for hours (it felt) looking at construction work, cars, trains, etc. Kids and pups need to learn about the world at their own pace!

If Bailey wants to go back home he is perhaps afraid of the big world outside - even more important to sit on a bench and just look at people, other dogs, bikes, and cars.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I know it’s only been 2 weeks but when I’ve taken him out every day for 14 days and we are still in the same boat I’m worried it’ll never get better! I suppose I expected to put a lead on and he’d just walk!?!?

2 things......NEVER drag your puppy n who cares if anyone laughs just ignore them. He's only 4 months old. Try leaving his harness on for an hour before walks. Put him on a long leash so he can feel free. Bit by bit shorten it. But whatever you do, dont drag him or he'll never walk.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Don’t worry, my Tank did the same, I even doubted he will ever enjoy walking. He just sat and looked at me with big eyes, sometimes even whined. He especially hated walking, exploring grass in the park he liked. Just bear with him. There is no progress yet because you forcing him, and it stresses him out. Just walk a bit, then carry. Your task is to make it fun experience for him!

You cannot force bulldogs. They are stubborn, but have very fragile mental health at the same time, if you push them or drag them, he can start regress in toilet training, like poop everywhere, wee, become aggressive or cowardice etc. They are very OCD prone and neurotic dogs. Everything must happen on their terms, or you have to bribe them.
I understand that you picture yourself ideal walk in a park with your super cutie pie, but wait, you will get it and all the jealousy of people, just baby steps!

p.S. there is also possibility if you go to the park regularly, try to feed him in the park - bring his breakfast or dinner with you in a rubber bowl, so he anticipates walk and dinner in the park.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a beautiful bully baby!!!

The gang gave you great advice and insight--- stay patient

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Bailey is such a cutie !
Bella used to stand still when I put her harness on. As a matter of fact I would sometimes put it on her when she was out of control running around and jumping on people when the first came in. It really helped calm her down.
Now she doesn't care about wearing it.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You have a sooo cute pup! I have always had more(too many more!!) than one dog at a time. I have had pups like yours, who refused to walk. I would tie their leash to the big dog, and the big dog would teach the pup to walk,as I walked the bigger dog! Do you have a friend with a well behaved dog? If so, you could try that method. I guess you could say it's the lazy way to teach! But-it has worked for me! No dragging, no frustration. OR just take a walk with a friend and their dog @BaileyBulldogmummy

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
You have a sooo cute pup! I have always had more(too many more!!) than one dog at a time. I have had pups like yours, who refused to walk. I would tie their leash to the big dog, and the big dog would teach the pup to walk,as I walked the bigger dog! Do you have a friend with a well behaved dog? If so, you could try that method. I guess you could say it's the lazy way to teach! But-it has worked for me! No dragging, no frustration. OR just take a walk with a friend and their dog @BaileyBulldogmummy

That's exactly how Duke walked. Saw his big sister walk and wanted to stay close to her. He was only 3 months old. Parts I had to carry him cause it was a long walk. Which was good as he saw Nyala was still walking.

OP
B

BaileyBulldog mummy

Nov 15, 2017
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Thank you all for your advice! Slowly but surely he is getting better but I must say, he walks better for my husband than me!!! He knows I’m a soft touch where as daddy doesn’t stand for any messing. His big gorgeous eyes just melt my heart and I want to cuddle him ♥️♥️ He’s full of a cold at the moment though and needing antibiotics. Poor bailey ��

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Good luck! Monty HATES to go for a walk! If I get him out of the driveway (which is not long at all) I consider that a major achievement. Even if we manage that, there will be several feet plantings where he just refuses to budge. Luckily we live in a cul de sac so there is no traffic. His idea of a walk is getting in the car and going for a ride! Hopeless!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you all for your advice! Slowly but surely he is getting better but I must say, he walks better for my husband than me!!! He knows I’m a soft touch where as daddy doesn’t stand for any messing. His big gorgeous eyes just melt my heart and I want to cuddle him ♥️♥️ He’s full of a cold at the moment though and needing antibiotics. Poor bailey ��

Hope Bailey feels better.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.