General Question How To Get A Bulldog More Active

SoxMunkey

Oct 18, 2015
Orlando, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus, Spartacus
Greetings everyone! Maximus sleeps about 22 hours out of a 24 hour day. I should have named him after one of the Seven Dwarfs (Sleepy). He is about 4 years old and I have had him for about a year and a half. He is a rescue from the "doggie prison". I believe that he is still exhibiting the behaviors from when he was with his previous family. I am not sure what that was like, but he finds his few favorite places in the house and sleeps. He only wakes or shows activity when it is time for him to go for his walk to go potty or to eat... and even that can be an event.

I am wondering if he is still living through some possible trauma that he might have went through in his early days. He is not aggressive, no more than what his breed calls for. He doesn't use the house as his bathroom. He is just very inactive. Any ideas on how I can get him more active?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Aww poor guy... have you tired taking him for short walks, say 20 min or so? Does he like going for a ride in the car? Try walking him somewhere new... or take him to the pet store to get him out and about. See if he takes an interest in any toys, balls, or chews... maybe he's just not used to being spoiled... Lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Greetings everyone! Maximus sleeps about 22 hours out of a 24 hour day. I should have named him after one of the Seven Dwarfs (Sleepy). He is about 4 years old and I have had him for about a year and a half. He is a rescue from the "doggie prison". I believe that he is still exhibiting the behaviors from when he was with his previous family. I am not sure what that was like, but he finds his few favorite places in the house and sleeps. He only wakes or shows activity when it is time for him to go for his walk to go potty or to eat... and even that can be an event.

I am wondering if he is still living through some possible trauma that he might have went through in his early days. He is not aggressive, no more than what his breed calls for. He doesn't use the house as his bathroom. He is just very inactive. Any ideas on how I can get him more active?

try to fine interactive toys... like a treat ball or treat dispenser (Kong wobbler) ... marrow bones could keep him at least awake. When he is sleeping, try to go over and engage him in some form of play,, roll or bounce a ball, tug rope etc. if he lived in a non-engaged environment (in crate or a lone in a room) he has no idea how to play or interact with you.... you'll need to teach him.

Please keep us posted and good luck

OP
S

SoxMunkey

Oct 18, 2015
Orlando, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus, Spartacus
I take him on some pretty decent walks. I do so when it is not too hot outside. I am going to try to engage him more in activities while I am working around the house. Thank you all of your wonderful and very helpful suggestions! Much appreciate it!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.