General Question Mental Stimulation

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Hello!!

I recently got a trainer because my 2 year old has been acting out. The trainer suggested giving Cyrus more mental stimulation. Iā€™ve bought him 2 kongs, which have been stuffed with his meal (heā€™s on raw), bacon, cheese, yogurt, and sardines. Heā€™s not interested in any of it. Heā€™ll lick it at first, then give up.

I tried a treat ball...no interest. The treats have been sitting in the ball for 2 weeks!

Iā€™ve also tried putting some treats in a water bottle with holes so he has to dispense it. The first couple of times worked, but now he just chews on the bottle. Snore.

The last game I tried was filling up a box with toilet paper rolls, then adding treats. He figured that sucker out in 10 seconds.

Does anyone have any other ideas?! OR any other products.

Raw feeders: by giving him a meaty bone that he needs to chew on...does that count as mental stimulation? The trainer said it doesnā€™t, but heā€™s still working for his food so I donā€™t see why not.

Thank you!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello!!

I recently got a trainer because my 2 year old has been acting out. The trainer suggested giving Cyrus more mental stimulation. Iā€™ve bought him 2 kongs, which have been stuffed with his meal (heā€™s on raw), bacon, cheese, yogurt, and sardines. Heā€™s not interested in any of it. Heā€™ll lick it at first, then give up.

I tried a treat ball...no interest. The treats have been sitting in the ball for 2 weeks!

Iā€™ve also tried putting some treats in a water bottle with holes so he has to dispense it. The first couple of times worked, but now he just chews on the bottle. Snore.

The last game I tried was filling up a box with toilet paper rolls, then adding treats. He figured that sucker out in 10 seconds.

Does anyone have any other ideas?! OR any other products.

Raw feeders: by giving him a meaty bone that he needs to chew on...does that count as mental stimulation? The trainer said it doesnā€™t, but heā€™s still working for his food so I donā€™t see why not.

Thank you!!

My two play with each other non stop. I buy them toys n all but one needs to steal the toy so the other one joins in...and they're off.One thing that keeps them occupied for hours is when I give them marrow bones. It's called "meal on bone" at pet valu. Bison. Also good long walks different places. Not the same route, change it, like in the woods. It's like kids, they get bored easily. It's you to find them new things to do outside n not in front of a tv. Example, my son comes over with his 3 dogs so all 5 are playing non stop. I try to go once a month in Banff so both walk with people on the street n visit, being pet, scratch n kisses/cuddle by people (bullies has this charm) or even the lakes. You have to do it as dogs wont. Just a thought.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Mental stimulation means teaching dog some commands. You should take may be 15 min a day and teach him some tricks - play dead, fetch, give paw etc. Also, sometimes there are dog playgrounds with some obstacles or mazes for dogs. Dogs need schooling too:yes:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Below is the definition for dogs.

Stimulate the nose. All dogs can track using their most powerful sense ā€“ their nose. ...Use your imagination. You don't have to spend a ton of money on toys or tools. ...Play like a dog. ...Discipline can be fun too! ...Tug of war -- but be aware of the risks.

Basically, it's how YOU make them think! You just play with their brain with different ways.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=8581]Shahster[/MENTION] - at 2 yrs of age... he is most likely testing the limits... what do you mean by 'acting up'?

I would go back to basic command training and just teach a new command or reinforce the old ones that he knows. also, walks count as it not only gives physical exercise it works all the senses (sound, sight, smell)... will tire him out for sure.

yes.. raw marrow bones with keep him occupied and exhausted when done.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Thanks everyone!! He gets roughly 2 hours of walking time a day. I usually take different routes for his sniffing. We also go on car rides because he loooves looking out the window.

But the trainer also wanted extra mental stimulation. All of her suggestions are falling flat. Iā€™m trying to teach him to name his toys, though! Thanks for your tips!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Take Cyrus for a walk. Only walk as far as you can carry 'em though.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry just saw you 2 hour walk response. Nevermind.

Members online

No members online now.