Help Needed! Advice on my sweet Pup

ramsey12

Oct 9, 2017
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Hi, my name is Maddie and I have a English Bulldog named Tank who is almost 1! Me and my boyfriend absolutely adore him. He is full of energy and loves to be outside, we live on some land so hes able ot run around tons when we're home. Tank and my boyfriend are inseperable they do everything together, they have a bond like i've never seen before. This is my first English Bulldog so im very new at this. Since hes gotten older and stronger we have been struggling with him. We have tried 3 different cages and hes managed to break all of them. We dont care about the cages but he bends the wire and could easily hurt himself while we're gone and that scares me the most. When he breaks out of the cage he pees all over the floor, trashes the house and messes up anything he can get to, so he has to be caged. He is not fixed yet but we're scared to get him fixed because we love his personality and energy so much and we dont want that to go away but we cant keep having this issue with him so should we get him fized? Would that even have anythig to do with him breaking out of the cage? Sorry for the long post but if anyone has any suggestions about cages or if we should get Tank fixed please let me know! Thanks!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Obviously Tank hates to be caged, and is peeing and running around after he gets out because of that. I would confine him to a safe tiled area of the house without wires to chew on or put packaging/shipping tape on the wires. Put clear shipping/packaging tape on baseboard corners where he might chew on, since they don't like the smell and feel of it. Chastise him every time you see him doing something bad and ignore him for an hour. Take him to a trainer. Easy way would be to drop him off at doggie day care every day.

It should be ok to neuter him after 1 year of age since he shouldn't have orthopedic issues in the future after you do that. It will calm him down a little.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Also you might try putting a worn t shirt in cage with him, a dog safe plush toy, and covering the cage.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
You've described Duke my pain the the butt! (My little white face). His kennel is also bulging as he rams into it n little Houdini escaped many times. Went to Home Depot got a big clip that screws so now he cant escape. But its discipline. What I do is when I walk in I ignore him till he calms down. Walk towards his kennel and do the hand gesture. Arm out hand open and do Shhhuuuu. He settles as he knows he wont get out. Once he sits I slightly open the door with still having the hand gesture. The I open it completely and say OK. But took time to teach him that. But he gets it. Same thing with his food. The hand gesture with the Shhuuuuu. Persistent n patience you will need!!! Now I know some members dont agree but heh, life goes on...:D I decided to have a vasectomy for Duke n not neutered or castrated. I wanted him to keep his little jewels n hormones. More n more studies are showing dogs that have vasectomy dont have more cancer or any health issues than neutered dogs. Just vets schools dont teach how to do vasectomy. Time to think out of the box as there's great technology out there that is even better than the old school. If you read in any forum even in here, you will read even neutered dogs get cancer or any other health issues. If it's going to happen, it will. Key word is maintenance and especially, feed your dog as naturally as you can. Nooooo grains! Ok that's my 2 cents worth.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN!

Neutering will not change his personality.. it MIGHT lessen some things but it should not impact playfulness or character.

As for crate... try a dirty t-shirt of your husbands in crate so he has his scent. Leave the room or house for a few minutes and see how he does. You can also try a raw marrow bone to keep him occupied. If not, find a room in the house as Dollys Owner suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
You've described Duke my pain the the butt! (My little white face). His kennel is also bulging as he rams into it n little Houdini escaped many times. Went to Home Depot got a big clip that screws so now he cant escape. But its discipline. What I do is when I walk in I ignore him till he calms down. Walk towards his kennel and do the hand gesture. Arm out hand open and do Shhhuuuu. He settles as he knows he wont get out. Once he sits I slightly open the door with still having the hand gesture. The I open it completely and say OK. But took time to teach him that. But he gets it. Same thing with his food. The hand gesture with the Shhuuuuu. Persistent n patience you will need!!! Now I know some members dont agree but heh, life goes on...:D I decided to have a vasectomy for Duke n not neutered or castrated. I wanted him to keep his little jewels n hormones. More n more studies are showing dogs that have vasectomy dont have more cancer or any health issues than neutered dogs. Just vets schools dont teach how to do vasectomy. Time to think out of the box as there's great technology out there that is even better than the old school. If you read in any forum even in here, you will read even neutered dogs get cancer or any other health issues. If it's going to happen, it will. Key word is maintenance and especially, feed your dog as naturally as you can. Nooooo grains! Ok that's my 2 cents worth.

Neutering a male dog is not for health reasons like it is for female dogs. It's to solve behavioural issues. At this time Duke is not aggressive towards people or other dogs or humping everything ( that we know of ) so his neutering can wait. But I wouldn't waste money on a vasectomy right now since if he does become aggressive later you'll have to pay for a neutering at that time. Some doggie day cares and kennels require dog to be neutered or have a vasectomy, but I think Rover.com is a better solution anyways for dog sitting and I've heard of https://www.trustedhousesitters.com but not tried it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Neutering a male dog is not for health reasons like it is for female dogs. It's to solve behavioural issues. At this time Duke is not aggressive towards people or other dogs or humping everything ( that we know of ) so his neutering can wait. But I wouldn't waste money on a vasectomy right now since if he does become aggressive later you'll have to pay for a neutering at that time. Some doggie day cares and kennels require dog to be neutered or have a vasectomy, but I think Rover.com is a better solution anyways for dog sitting and I've heard of https://www.trustedhousesitters.com but not tried it.
I've seen dogs intact and wouldn't harm a fly as we say and were mid age. Can't label all dogs will turn aggressive cause they are not fixed. Also why would a vasectomy turn into a neutering job later on? Yes hormones can rise but if there is NO discipline and training it can cause an issue. But dont mean its 100% guarantee dogs all have to be fix or you're going to have behaviour problems. Like ive said my GS was trained to perfection but had an issue with other animals. He was sure fixed and that sure didnt solved his escalating brain problem. Boils down it remains up to the owner what they want to do.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I've seen dogs intact and wouldn't harm a fly as we say and were mid age. Can't label all dogs will turn aggressive cause they are not fixed. Also why would a vasectomy turn into a neutering job later on? Yes hormones can rise but if there is NO discipline and training it can cause an issue. But dont mean its 100% guarantee dogs all have to be fix or you're going to have behaviour problems. Like ive said my GS was trained to perfection but had an issue with other animals. He was sure fixed and that sure didnt solved his escalating brain problem. Boils down it remains up to the owner what they want to do.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I meant to say Tank, not Duke. I think it's cheaper to wait for now, and do a vasectomy or neutering later once it's seen how Tank develops.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.