Help Needed! 7 yr old potty training regression

gdiaz0358

Oct 4, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hi,
I am new to the site, and I have been doing some research as to why my English bulldog is regressing in her potty training. I have had Bella (7yrs old) since she was 3 yrs old and she was fully potty trained. Probably had 3 accidents since I have had her. Recently, she has been peeing on every single rug, almost every day/night. She is let out several times a day (my nanny lets her out 3 times from 7am-5pm). I let her out as soon as I wake up at 5am and again a few times at night and ALWAYS before bed. She has been taking much longer to pee, she used to go out pee/poop and come right back inside. She now stays in peeing position for a few minutes and most of the times she doesn't even pee. I am not sure if that could be some sort of infection, or just old age. She has started peeing on every rug we own, to the point I am considering putting her in a crate at night. She used to sleep in our room, but was peeing in our bathroom rugs. So, we put her in the living room and there too she was peeing on the rugs. I went out and bought the pee pads. That didnt really help, she still was peeing on any rug she could find. I do reprimand her when she does it, but that also causes her to pee herself. I am not sure what else to do since she was so great about potty training the whole time I've had her.
The only thing that has changed has been the birth of my son, but he is turning 2 next month and these issues began earlier this year. It could be an attention thing, but even when we are home and with her she pees on the rugs.

Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I know there's a lot of experience on this so I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions. My first thoughts are infection of some sort as my cat, when getting older would occasionally go through something like this, I would give her some stuff but crap, don't remember what it was but it was a natural thing that cleared her right up. I'm pretty darn sure though it's something like that as when they are holding that posisition,,, something is going on. Hopfully, you'll get some thoughts so IF you need to take her in you'll get some good things to ask the vet. And btw...... welcome :) stick around it's a great place here :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would have her at the vet a.s.a.p. It sounds like a UTI,Bladder infection,or stones.If she is drinking alot, could even be Diabetes. I do not believe that this is a behavior issue. [MENTION=17650]gdiaz0358[/MENTION]

MomofJake

Sep 17, 2017
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I agree a vet visit is needed, especially if you notice a change in the length of her peeing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi,
I am new to the site, and I have been doing some research as to why my English bulldog is regressing in her potty training. I have had Bella (7yrs old) since she was 3 yrs old and she was fully potty trained. Probably had 3 accidents since I have had her. Recently, she has been peeing on every single rug, almost every day/night. She is let out several times a day (my nanny lets her out 3 times from 7am-5pm). I let her out as soon as I wake up at 5am and again a few times at night and ALWAYS before bed. She has been taking much longer to pee, she used to go out pee/poop and come right back inside. She now stays in peeing position for a few minutes and most of the times she doesn't even pee. I am not sure if that could be some sort of infection, or just old age. She has started peeing on every rug we own, to the point I am considering putting her in a crate at night. She used to sleep in our room, but was peeing in our bathroom rugs. So, we put her in the living room and there too she was peeing on the rugs. I went out and bought the pee pads. That didnt really help, she still was peeing on any rug she could find. I do reprimand her when she does it, but that also causes her to pee herself. I am not sure what else to do since she was so great about potty training the whole time I've had her.
The only thing that has changed has been the birth of my son, but he is turning 2 next month and these issues began earlier this year. It could be an attention thing, but even when we are home and with her she pees on the rugs.

Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I agree with the gang... vet visit is in order.

Members online