URGENT!!! Lack of Obedience and Aggression?

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Hello!

My 2 year old lacks basic obedience. He pulls, jumps to say hello, nips, etc. He is not neutered yet, but will be this weekend. He did go to a trainer who insisted on boarding him, but there was zero progress when he came back home.

We've had a lot of changes in our life recently and left our home to stay with my parents, and we lost our older Bulldog. Ever since then he's been aggressive towards me, jumping, scratching, biting and snarling. I'm not entirely sure what triggers it, sometimes it's me moving my leg on the couch, other times it's me standing there.

I have a couple trainers lined up to assist in the aggression/obedience. I'm just wondering if A) will two different trainers be beneficial until I know which one I want to use and B) could this be lack of obedience and respect towards me? I'm really worried I will have to give him up and that is the last thing I would want to do.

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hi, and theres im sure lots of 'thoughts' on this but i will share mine. I wanted to keep my Hank 'in tact' for various reasons. mostly, well all health. He is the sweetest boy and had been absolutely non aggressive...... then at nearing 1 1/2 years He twice tested me with aggression. Though he never landed teeth, He really scarred the bejebbas out of me!! I actually had to corner him with a chair to get him off the bed he was "protecting". The second time he did it his 'dad' was there and absolutely freaked out and said (right or wrong) "thats it, CUT UM OFF!!) Well, we were traveling but i did make an apt for when we got back. Now, i will admit that i had since figured part of the problem those times, but all in all, it should still have NEVER happened (his aggression) One thing i did b4 the neuter was slightly push his buttons to see if he would act out. At the even slightest ill reaction to me, i did the ole 'pin him' as i figured a non 'red zone' dog would be able to be pinned easier and the 'act' would still have the same results. Now, i dont know if the two times i did that b4 the neuter was what 'fixed' the issue, or the finally clearing out of testosterone that had no way out??? but now, it's been i think 8 weeks, and he is my sweet, rambunctious, unfrustrated boy i knew. I am so thankful for the reminder from all these folks here that *i* am to be pack leader so all an all, I think that with that, and (sorry Hank) the neuter, has helped him be a much happier boy than he was becoming... So, thats my thoughts. I wish you luck, i truly do. It's so hard when you love someone so much and things just arent flowing the way you know they should. Your guy has been through some tough stuff (and loss) so you have stuff to deal with, Hope someone else will have some answers and all will be well ...

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Testosterone is flowing and he thinks he’s in charge. Take away all of his privies when you take his PRIVIES. Testosterone will takes weeks months to settle. No more on the furniture or anyone’s bed. Kennel him now with nothing in the kennel. He can earn some privileges back once progress is being made.
Get a spray bottle and fill with water and next time he steps out of line drown him. Some dogs will go after the spray bottle but most do not. If he goes go after it then abandon that strategy, as he’ll never change his attitude toward it. Lastly, he may need a come to Jesus event to turn him back into the pup he once was. More on that if the aforementioned comes up short. Many others here have their own ideas about how to handle this situation and there’s more than one road to this destination. Pick the one you feel comfortable with or a combination. I will stress that cosistancy is very important. Everyone he's around must know and follow the rules you put in place!
Concerning the trainer, how much time was spent training you? That’s the most important part, IMO.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Testosterone is flowing and he thinks he’s in charge. Take away all of his privies when you take his PRIVIES. Testosterone will takes weeks months to settle. No more on the furniture or anyone’s bed. Kennel him now with nothing in the kennel. He can earn some privileges back once progress is being made.
Get a spray bottle and fill with water and next time he steps out of line drown him. Some dogs will go after the spray bottle but most do not. If he goes go after it then abandon that strategy, as he’ll never change his attitude toward it. Lastly, he may need a come to Jesus event to turn him back into the pup he once was. More on that if the aforementioned comes up short. Many others here have their own ideas about how to handle this situation and there’s more than one road to this destination. Pick the one you feel comfortable with or a combination. I will stress that cosistancy is very important. Everyone he's around must know and follow the rules you put in place!
Concerning the trainer, how much time was spent training you? That’s the most important part, IMO.

When he went to the trainer NONE of the commands were done by me. I asked the trainer over and over again how will my dog learn to obey me if YOU are giving him the commands. He assured me everything would be okay. Hard lesson learned.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
And yes [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] s stuff!!! Including the takes much time to get that testosterone level down. Hank turned into a wild boy… Not aggressive… But crazy energy for a while.. it scared me that this was going to be the “new” Hank.. He’s just now settling and its been two months..

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
[MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION]

That gives me some hope! I only had to wait so long because he's cryptorchid and the quotes were at least $600. But come Friday, snip snip.

I'm meeting with a trainer on Wednesday for a consultation. However she wants to train at her business. I don't know too much about training dogs, but hopefully training him in another environment will yield results in his own environment.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
It was a decision i am happy with now, and of course you do still have to work with him, but at least i truly feel im working with a level headed dog, not one led by his T...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
It's not just testosterone the issue. You went through a lot of changes n especially loosing your older bully sure wont help him plus moving out. Other thing is that trainer you had is absolutely useless. When you train any dog, the owner "must" be involved at all times. A good trainer takes the dog "one on one" for a few hours and if the dog is extremely difficult, its a whole day...then the owner must be taught on how to take control. Basically, you are both trained by the trainer. Dont give up on him. He's just going through a lot of changes n needs adjustment. Just hang on a tad longer. See what happens with a better trainer. Make sure you walk him 2x a day on regular basis as he needs it.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]

Yes I've been taking him on longer walks twice a day and a few short ones. Total I aim for 2 hours a day of walking. I didn't think that first trainer was right, but I trusted him and thought "he's the trainer". I'm also noticing Cyrus seems afraid of me, I'm not sure why but hopefully I can re-gain his trust with the new trainer.

Thank you!!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
omg i have to tell you something here...... Your situation ,as the trainer may have something to do with it all so is probably different but.............. both times that Hank acted out on me was when i shouted NO at him and he lowered his head 'as if ' submissive and afraid but then when i got angry and asked him off the bed, he turned ugly. The second time it happened, it wa the same thing, me being i believe fearful to him and he didnt know what to do. No excuse here AT ALL! but, it was a whole awakening of where i stood in the line of things. I had never even raised my voice to him so im sure he figured he was honcho and when i switched modes on him, he didnt know how to handle. Well, all thats changed, not that im a big meanie now, but we had a couple easy 'go rounds' that i think set things strait as now i can shout (if need be) and he just stops and listens, or gets off, or what ever need be and it's a whole diff picture. And true, NOT all testerone, but for Hank, there were other things that needed addressing as well so im glad it worked out as it did :)

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus

That sounds like exactly what's happening with my dog. He does NOT want me to be the boss so he's acting out. But I'm not sure why he's fearful.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank

That sounds like exactly what's happening with my dog. He does NOT want me to be the boss so he's acting out. But I'm not sure why he's fearful.

Hey, this may not sound right to you but, he just may not know “his place“. Hank is so much more secure now that he knows where we both stand and he’s the happiest little boy ever. He knows I can handle whatever I need to handle around him. He still scared of straight things, or things being moved around the house, or a box out of place etc., it’s just the way they are but as far as being a afraid or acting shy to you , He probably just doesn’t know where he stands, even if he’s been with you all this time, he may be, possibly be? Frustrated by hormones as well and just doesn’t know how to handle them.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

Also learn the "nothing in life is free" philosophy Dog Training: Nothing in Life is Free : The Humane Society of the United States

It may help to keep him on a Martingale dog collar and leash for a while in house too. I know Oscarmayer has suggested this before. You have to make sure he knows you are alpha- don't let him on furniture, jump on you, walk ahead of you, etc.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
It may help to keep him on a Martingale dog collar and leash for a while in house too.
TY DOwner, I forgot to mention that. We always have problem children on a short lead. We use an old lead cut back to about 3 feet long. They just drag it around, but it’s there in case it’s needed.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I use a Martingale collar on Louie and it definitely gives me more control over him.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.