kaosthe3rd

Sep 24, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kaos
We have owned our male bulldog since he was a puppy, he just turned 5. We've noticed he's becoming increasingly aggressive and are wondering if this is normal behavior or if it could be caused by pain or something else? About a year ago he'd hurt his paw at a kennel, when we took him to the vet he was obviously in pain and they had to put a cone on him to look at the paw. Since then, we cannot take him to any vet without him turning into a snarling, snapping nasty dog! Now this behavior is appearing when we take him to the groomer for his monthly bath and nail clipping. He has always loved baths, not so much the nail clipping, but he's never tried to bite anyone while they're bathing him. When he comes inside after having to go outside in rainy weather, he has always loved the 'towelie' drying him off, but during the excessive rainy days of Harvey here in Houston, he was snapping at us when we tried wiping him down. He has always been sensitive when petting his hindquarters, but we think it's worse than it used to. We are wondering if maybe he is in pain from his back or hip possibly and it's causing him to react. Has anyone else dealt with similar issues? We moved in February and haven't found a local vet yet who we are super comfortable with.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hi and welcome... Im thinking that your on to something with a 'pain' issue. I still hate that he would react that way and not just try to warn, but personally, i think it becomes 'fear' activated as they want to run from the pain, cant, and respond inappropriately. It does need to be nipped in the bud i think, but not the one to figure that out as pain is pain, and has to be found if possible. When my Hanks feet are tender, and i need to do the 'wipe' off to dry, his reaction is sweet but defiantly protective instead of just the normal 'go for it mom' attitude. I hope you find a good 'bulldog' vet as these certainly are a different breed that need special handleing. Even then, our guys can be trying. Once they get in their heads they want to be a certain way, it's hard to convince otherwise and only a bulldog person would understand and work with it. but again welcome :) Your sure to get some great input from ones who have sooooooooo much more experience than me :)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
It can definitely be pain. Does he tremble at all? Is he neutered?

Hopefully you can find a good billy vet soon so he can get a check up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We have owned our male bulldog since he was a puppy, he just turned 5. We've noticed he's becoming increasingly aggressive and are wondering if this is normal behavior or if it could be caused by pain or something else? About a year ago he'd hurt his paw at a kennel, when we took him to the vet he was obviously in pain and they had to put a cone on him to look at the paw. Since then, we cannot take him to any vet without him turning into a snarling, snapping nasty dog! Now this behavior is appearing when we take him to the groomer for his monthly bath and nail clipping. He has always loved baths, not so much the nail clipping, but he's never tried to bite anyone while they're bathing him. When he comes inside after having to go outside in rainy weather, he has always loved the 'towelie' drying him off, but during the excessive rainy days of Harvey here in Houston, he was snapping at us when we tried wiping him down. He has always been sensitive when petting his hindquarters, but we think it's worse than it used to. We are wondering if maybe he is in pain from his back or hip possibly and it's causing him to react. Has anyone else dealt with similar issues? We moved in February and haven't found a local vet yet who we are super comfortable with.

yes... he is in some type of pain. Being in Huston area... Brittmore is the best bully vet in the area based on many of our members in that area. Please keep us posted, but it seems he is in some level of pain based on your description.

OP
K

kaosthe3rd

Sep 24, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kaos
It can definitely be pain. Does he tremble at all? Is he neutered?

Hopefully you can find a good billy vet soon so he can get a check up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, he's neutered. We haven't noticed much trembling to speak of and he generally seems in good health, that's why this is such a mystery. The only odd thing we've noticed is intermittent episodes where he's laying down and seems like he's sleeping but his legs move really fast like he's running in his sleep and his tongue moves in and out too. We thought it may be some kind of seizure, but when we call his name, he'll pop up like we just woke him up. Strange.....

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I would take him to the vet and Brittmoore is definitely the place. Dr Dikeman or Chellappan. It is a drive for me but well worth it, they are the best in Houston. I hope you can figure out what is going on.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online