pablosmum

Sep 20, 2017
UK
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I have an 11 month old EB named Pablo. I have to admit he is absolutely the boss in my house and very spoilt!

My question is around his crate - well it is more of a large cage with an open top. He has been in this since he came home at 8 weeks. He gets in there when we go out but the door is left open so he has free run of the kitchen (with a baby gate). Of a night time, he goes in and gets locked in.

For the past week, he has been put in his cage at night for bed and cries and cries. I eventually give in, and he comes and sleeps with me for an hour or so before he gets restless and I take him down again and he goes to sleep.

I'm starting to think he may just be outgrowing the crate now that he is older, but I can't get him to settle in the bedroom with me for the full night so I don't know what to do?!

He is perfectly fine in the day time when we aren't there (I have tested by standing outside the door listening) but it seems he just wants to be next to me when I'm in the house.

I did try to remove the crate 2 months ago but that didn't go down well at all and he howled in the kitchen, which leads me to believe he does like it!

Would appreciate your suggestions!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I don't use crate for my 1,5 yo bulldog, he is free to roam, but we close bedroom door for the night, as otherwise he would wake us up several times through the night with slobbery kisses, just to check if we are ok, or, may be mom feels like getting up at 3am and feeding her furbaby:Dso he sleeps wherever he wants in the lounge or kitchen, but NOT in the bedroom :D
I would recommend you just survive 2-3 nights his moans ( earplugs?). Leave him free, I don't think he needs crate. When he understands you're not giving up, he will have to get used to sleeping outside your bedroom. Don't rush for his every whine, otherwise he will disturb your sleep every time he feels lonely:D and dogs wake up several times during night!
Also, don't let him sleep in the evening before bedtime - take him for a good walk, play tug of war with him, make him tired. It helps!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
They usually like their crates, some feel secure in them. He is just wanting you to be with him, but he needs to know that at night, it's time to sleep. Spend some time with him and then put him in his cage and if the whines or barks, tell him NO, and hopefully in a few nights he will get the idea. Sometimes a crate works best as it has a top and he might feel better in that. We use only wire crates for ours. The plastic ones don't have enough ventilation for them and they can get hot.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Duke is 8 months n did the same for a few days. I ended up covering completely the kennel except I leave 8" bottom door uncover. The door is covered with one of my old nightgown so he has my order with him. It works!

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I have an 11 month old EB named Pablo. I have to admit he is absolutely the boss in my house and very spoilt!

My question is around his crate - well it is more of a large cage with an open top. He has been in this since he came home at 8 weeks. He gets in there when we go out but the door is left open so he has free run of the kitchen (with a baby gate). Of a night time, he goes in and gets locked in.

For the past week, he has been put in his cage at night for bed and cries and cries. I eventually give in, and he comes and sleeps with me for an hour or so before he gets restless and I take him down again and he goes to sleep.

I'm starting to think he may just be outgrowing the crate now that he is older, but I can't get him to settle in the bedroom with me for the full night so I don't know what to do?!

He is perfectly fine in the day time when we aren't there (I have tested by standing outside the door listening) but it seems he just wants to be next to me when I'm in the house.

I did try to remove the crate 2 months ago but that didn't go down well at all and he howled in the kitchen, which leads me to believe he does like it!

Would appreciate your suggestions!

Well, I am in mourning, but I did want to say just one thing...
My skin children are 45 and 42. I wish I had let them sleep with me and their dad when they were little and wanted to. I think they'd still have grown up and gotten married and had kids just like they did. When my son and DIL called me from their honeymoon, I asked the DIL if my son still sucked his thumb before he went to sleep. She said No so there's that.
My daughter and her husband live with us. Sometimes when I am stretched out on top of the bed watching TV, my daughter comes in and schooches next to me and we sort of cuddle. It makes my heart sing and I think, "if I die in this moment, that'll be OK.

That hour of cuddling you give him is something he needs.

Excuse my ramblings. I'm missing Daphne. I love you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Well, I am in mourning, but I did want to say just one thing...
My skin children are 45 and 42. I wish I had let them sleep with me and their dad when they were little and wanted to. I think they'd still have grown up and gotten married and had kids just like they did. When my son and DIL called me from their honeymoon, I asked the DIL if my son still sucked his thumb before he went to sleep. She said No so there's that.
My daughter and her husband live with us. Sometimes when I am stretched out on top of the bed watching TV, my daughter comes in and schooches next to me and we sort of cuddle. It makes my heart sing and I think, "if I die in this moment, that'll be OK.

That hour of cuddling you give him is something he needs.

Excuse my ramblings. I'm missing Daphne. I love you guys.

and I have to tell you something dear lady, I just see [MENTION=1664]Daphne[/MENTION] DeMaurier and It brings me to tears. You and that girl of yours is sorely missed. I'm so glad you show up here a bit as you too are a great loss. Many prayers for you dear one. If it hurts this bad for us, it kills me to know how it is for you... Hugs and love, me and Hank

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Try placing one of your t-shirts in the crate with him... he may just need your scent with him to fall asleep. since he seems to like the crate I would not remove it... it can be his 'safe zone' when he gets older

osubullymom

Oct 24, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hadley Jane
Hi! I'm new to this forum. My family and I have a 10 month old English Bulldog. She is fairly spoiled. She gets lots of attention from the family in the mornings and the evenings but is kenneled during the day (school & work). The last 3 nights she has refused to sleep....barking in her crate, whining, growling, definitely worked up. One night it was midnight, then 12:30 but up and down several times...last night 2:30 in the morning before she finally fell asleep....we get up at 5:30 for work. 3 hours of sleep isn't going to cut it. We have had her since she was 8 weeks old. Routine hasn't changed, food hasn't changed, she did have an allergic reaction a week and a half ago and was on benedryl for a few days. Any suggestions are welcomed! She eats Taste of the Wild puppy and gets 3 cups a day minimum..last night she even had a 4th cup at 12:30am.....Thanks in advance!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi! I'm new to this forum. My family and I have a 10 month old English Bulldog. She is fairly spoiled. She gets lots of attention from the family in the mornings and the evenings but is kenneled during the day (school & work). The last 3 nights she has refused to sleep....barking in her crate, whining, growling, definitely worked up. One night it was midnight, then 12:30 but up and down several times...last night 2:30 in the morning before she finally fell asleep....we get up at 5:30 for work. 3 hours of sleep isn't going to cut it. We have had her since she was 8 weeks old. Routine hasn't changed, food hasn't changed, she did have an allergic reaction a week and a half ago and was on benedryl for a few days. Any suggestions are welcomed! She eats Taste of the Wild puppy and gets 3 cups a day minimum..last night she even had a 4th cup at 12:30am.....Thanks in advance!

If you are reacting to the barking, it will continue.... Try placing one of your t-shirts in the crate with him... he may just need your scent with him to fall asleep. is the crate in your bedroom or is it in a room where no humans are ... living room etc?

osubullymom

Oct 24, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hadley Jane
If you are reacting to the barking, it will continue.... Try placing one of your t-shirts in the crate with him... he may just need your scent with him to fall asleep. is the crate in your bedroom or is it in a room where no humans are ... living room etc?

2Bullymama....We tried to ignore / are trying to ignore the barking. Was definitely difficult last night from 12:30 - 2:30. She stays in my high school daughters bedroom in her kennel/ crate. We cover her kennel with blankets to provide the den and safe, secure area. Last night it as constant barking for quite some. Finally had to throw in the towel and and bring her upstairs to the living room and she settled into her kennel about an hour a a half later. I love the idea of the t shirt but am concerned about her tearing it up. Thank you for the information and advice!! :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
2Bullymama....We tried to ignore / are trying to ignore the barking. Was definitely difficult last night from 12:30 - 2:30. She stays in my high school daughters bedroom in her kennel/ crate. We cover her kennel with blankets to provide the den and safe, secure area. Last night it as constant barking for quite some. Finally had to throw in the towel and and bring her upstairs to the living room and she settled into her kennel about an hour a a half later. I love the idea of the t shirt but am concerned about her tearing it up. Thank you for the information and advice!! :)

Since you gave in last night... she may be even worse tonight. Try a long walk after dinner, before bed... 20-30 mins. see if it wears her out at all. At her age she is in the terrible two phase and will try pushing buttons to see what she can get away with.
It may be she wants to be with you and not your daughter... might be an option down the road to move her crate?

osubullymom

Oct 24, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hadley Jane
Since you gave in last night... she may be even worse tonight. Try a long walk after dinner, before bed... 20-30 mins. see if it wears her out at all. At her age she is in the terrible two phase and will try pushing buttons to see what she can get away with.
It may be she wants to be with you and not your daughter... might be an option down the road to move her crate?

I am hoping not worse.....I'm feeling pretty sleep deprived. :w00t: She is my daughter's dog. They are very bonded. I am her 2nd favorite. We are going to try a nice long walk tonight or 2 and hope it helps her to get tired and sleep well tonight and not cause any allergy issues either - last weeks hives were never diagnosed as to what they were caused by. I was guessing terrible 2's of toddlerhood and pushing her limits. We have 4 other dogs, none bullies though. Not able to move her crate into my bedroom at this time as 2 other dogs are already crated there at night. She is living room crated during the day.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I am hoping not worse.....I'm feeling pretty sleep deprived. :w00t: She is my daughter's dog. They are very bonded. I am her 2nd favorite. We are going to try a nice long walk tonight or 2 and hope it helps her to get tired and sleep well tonight and not cause any allergy issues either - last weeks hives were never diagnosed as to what they were caused by. I was guessing terrible 2's of toddlerhood and pushing her limits. We have 4 other dogs, none bullies though. Not able to move her crate into my bedroom at this time as 2 other dogs are already crated there at night. She is living room crated during the day.

Good luck... hope the walks do it

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi! I'm new to this forum. My family and I have a 10 month old English Bulldog. She is fairly spoiled. She gets lots of attention from the family in the mornings and the evenings but is kenneled during the day (school & work). The last 3 nights she has refused to sleep....barking in her crate, whining, growling, definitely worked up. One night it was midnight, then 12:30 but up and down several times...last night 2:30 in the morning before she finally fell asleep....we get up at 5:30 for work. 3 hours of sleep isn't going to cut it. We have had her since she was 8 weeks old. Routine hasn't changed, food hasn't changed, she did have an allergic reaction a week and a half ago and was on benedryl for a few days. Any suggestions are welcomed! She eats Taste of the Wild puppy and gets 3 cups a day minimum..last night she even had a 4th cup at 12:30am.....Thanks in advance![/QUOTE

Been there done it. 3hrs of sleep for a month! Either I ring his neck or I give in. I THREW the towel in and put him in my bed. Did it for 2 months ish. After that 2-3 months he was toilet trained and I put him back in his kennel. He does have his bed in there. Plus I cover the whole kennel but I do leave 8" open view so he can see. I would never cover the front door completely. IMO NOT good for a dog. In the day if I n3ed to leave he's in his cage but door isn't covered. Just night time.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

How ae the walks working? Any better on the slepping?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.