Thread: 11 Month Old Will No Longer Sleep In His Crate

Country
    UK
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pablo
    Likes (Received)

Default 11 Month Old Will No Longer Sleep In His Crate

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I have an 11 month old EB named Pablo. I have to admit he is absolutely the boss in my house and very spoilt!

My question is around his crate - well it is more of a large cage with an open top. He has been in this since he came home at 8 weeks. He gets in there when we go out but the door is left open so he has free run of the kitchen (with a baby gate). Of a night time, he goes in and gets locked in.

For the past week, he has been put in his cage at night for bed and cries and cries. I eventually give in, and he comes and sleeps with me for an hour or so before he gets restless and I take him down again and he goes to sleep.

I'm starting to think he may just be outgrowing the crate now that he is older, but I can't get him to settle in the bedroom with me for the full night so I don't know what to do?!

He is perfectly fine in the day time when we aren't there (I have tested by standing outside the door listening) but it seems he just wants to be next to me when I'm in the house.

I did try to remove the crate 2 months ago but that didn't go down well at all and he howled in the kitchen, which leads me to believe he does like it!

Would appreciate your suggestions!

Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 11 Month Old Will No Longer Sleep In His Crate

I don't use crate for my 1,5 yo bulldog, he is free to roam, but we close bedroom door for the night, as otherwise he would wake us up several times through the night with slobbery kisses, just to check if we are ok, or, may be mom feels like getting up at 3am and feeding her furbabyso he sleeps wherever he wants in the lounge or kitchen, but NOT in the bedroom
    I would recommend you just survive 2-3 nights his moans ( earplugs?). Leave him free, I don't think he needs crate. When he understands you're not giving up, he will have to get used to sleeping outside your bedroom. Don't rush for his every whine, otherwise he will disturb your sleep every time he feels lonely and dogs wake up several times during night!
    Also, don't let him sleep in the evening before bedtime - take him for a good walk, play tug of war with him, make him tired. It helps!

3. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

They usually like their crates, some feel secure in them. He is just wanting you to be with him, but he needs to know that at night, it's time to sleep. Spend some time with him and then put him in his cage and if the whines or barks, tell him NO, and hopefully in a few nights he will get the idea. Sometimes a crate works best as it has a top and he might feel better in that. We use only wire crates for ours. The plastic ones don't have enough ventilation for them and they can get hot.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - Hazel, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Coup

5. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Duke is 8 months n did the same for a few days. I ended up covering completely the kennel except I leave 8" bottom door uncover. The door is covered with one of my old nightgown so he has my order with him. It works!

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Ollie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pablosmum View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I have an 11 month old EB named Pablo. I have to admit he is absolutely the boss in my house and very spoilt!

My question is around his crate - well it is more of a large cage with an open top. He has been in this since he came home at 8 weeks. He gets in there when we go out but the door is left open so he has free run of the kitchen (with a baby gate). Of a night time, he goes in and gets locked in.

For the past week, he has been put in his cage at night for bed and cries and cries. I eventually give in, and he comes and sleeps with me for an hour or so before he gets restless and I take him down again and he goes to sleep.

I'm starting to think he may just be outgrowing the crate now that he is older, but I can't get him to settle in the bedroom with me for the full night so I don't know what to do?!

He is perfectly fine in the day time when we aren't there (I have tested by standing outside the door listening) but it seems he just wants to be next to me when I'm in the house.

I did try to remove the crate 2 months ago but that didn't go down well at all and he howled in the kitchen, which leads me to believe he does like it!

Would appreciate your suggestions!
    Well, I am in mourning, but I did want to say just one thing...
    My skin children are 45 and 42. I wish I had let them sleep with me and their dad when they were little and wanted to. I think they'd still have grown up and gotten married and had kids just like they did. When my son and DIL called me from their honeymoon, I asked the DIL if my son still sucked his thumb before he went to sleep. She said No so there's that.
    My daughter and her husband live with us. Sometimes when I am stretched out on top of the bed watching TV, my daughter comes in and schooches next to me and we sort of cuddle. It makes my heart sing and I think, "if I die in this moment, that'll be OK.

That hour of cuddling you give him is something he needs.

Excuse my ramblings. I'm missing Daphne. I love you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes helsonwheels, Hceril, Manydogs, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne DuMaurier View Post
    Well, I am in mourning, but I did want to say just one thing...
    My skin children are 45 and 42. I wish I had let them sleep with me and their dad when they were little and wanted to. I think they'd still have grown up and gotten married and had kids just like they did. When my son and DIL called me from their honeymoon, I asked the DIL if my son still sucked his thumb before he went to sleep. She said No so there's that.
    My daughter and her husband live with us. Sometimes when I am stretched out on top of the bed watching TV, my daughter comes in and schooches next to me and we sort of cuddle. It makes my heart sing and I think, "if I die in this moment, that'll be OK.

That hour of cuddling you give him is something he needs.

Excuse my ramblings. I'm missing Daphne. I love you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    and I have to tell you something dear lady, I just see @Daphne DeMaurier and It brings me to tears. You and that girl of yours is sorely missed. I'm so glad you show up here a bit as you too are a great loss. Many prayers for you dear one. If it hurts this bad for us, it kills me to know how it is for you... Hugs and love, me and Hank

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Try placing one of your t-shirts in the crate with him... he may just need your scent with him to fall asleep. since he seems to like the crate I would not remove it... it can be his 'safe zone' when he gets older
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hadley Jane
    Likes (Received)

Hi! I'm new to this forum. My family and I have a 10 month old English Bulldog. She is fairly spoiled. She gets lots of attention from the family in the mornings and the evenings but is kenneled during the day (school & work). The last 3 nights she has refused to sleep....barking in her crate, whining, growling, definitely worked up. One night it was midnight, then 12:30 but up and down several times...last night 2:30 in the morning before she finally fell asleep....we get up at 5:30 for work. 3 hours of sleep isn't going to cut it. We have had her since she was 8 weeks old. Routine hasn't changed, food hasn't changed, she did have an allergic reaction a week and a half ago and was on benedryl for a few days. Any suggestions are welcomed! She eats Taste of the Wild puppy and gets 3 cups a day minimum..last night she even had a 4th cup at 12:30am.....Thanks in advance!

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by osubullymom View Post
    Hi! I'm new to this forum. My family and I have a 10 month old English Bulldog. She is fairly spoiled. She gets lots of attention from the family in the mornings and the evenings but is kenneled during the day (school & work). The last 3 nights she has refused to sleep....barking in her crate, whining, growling, definitely worked up. One night it was midnight, then 12:30 but up and down several times...last night 2:30 in the morning before she finally fell asleep....we get up at 5:30 for work. 3 hours of sleep isn't going to cut it. We have had her since she was 8 weeks old. Routine hasn't changed, food hasn't changed, she did have an allergic reaction a week and a half ago and was on benedryl for a few days. Any suggestions are welcomed! She eats Taste of the Wild puppy and gets 3 cups a day minimum..last night she even had a 4th cup at 12:30am.....Thanks in advance!
    If you are reacting to the barking, it will continue.... Try placing one of your t-shirts in the crate with him... he may just need your scent with him to fall asleep. is the crate in your bedroom or is it in a room where no humans are ... living room etc?
    e.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hadley Jane
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    If you are reacting to the barking, it will continue.... Try placing one of your t-shirts in the crate with him... he may just need your scent with him to fall asleep. is the crate in your bedroom or is it in a room where no humans are ... living room etc?
    2Bullymama....We tried to ignore / are trying to ignore the barking. Was definitely difficult last night from 12:30 - 2:30. She stays in my high school daughters bedroom in her kennel/ crate. We cover her kennel with blankets to provide the den and safe, secure area. Last night it as constant barking for quite some. Finally had to throw in the towel and and bring her upstairs to the living room and she settled into her kennel about an hour a a half later. I love the idea of the t shirt but am concerned about her tearing it up. Thank you for the information and advice!!

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by osubullymom View Post
    2Bullymama....We tried to ignore / are trying to ignore the barking. Was definitely difficult last night from 12:30 - 2:30. She stays in my high school daughters bedroom in her kennel/ crate. We cover her kennel with blankets to provide the den and safe, secure area. Last night it as constant barking for quite some. Finally had to throw in the towel and and bring her upstairs to the living room and she settled into her kennel about an hour a a half later. I love the idea of the t shirt but am concerned about her tearing it up. Thank you for the information and advice!!
    Since you gave in last night... she may be even worse tonight. Try a long walk after dinner, before bed... 20-30 mins. see if it wears her out at all. At her age she is in the terrible two phase and will try pushing buttons to see what she can get away with.
    It may be she wants to be with you and not your daughter... might be an option down the road to move her crate?
    e.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hadley Jane
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Since you gave in last night... she may be even worse tonight. Try a long walk after dinner, before bed... 20-30 mins. see if it wears her out at all. At her age she is in the terrible two phase and will try pushing buttons to see what she can get away with.
    It may be she wants to be with you and not your daughter... might be an option down the road to move her crate?
    I am hoping not worse.....I'm feeling pretty sleep deprived. She is my daughter's dog. They are very bonded. I am her 2nd favorite. We are going to try a nice long walk tonight or 2 and hope it helps her to get tired and sleep well tonight and not cause any allergy issues either - last weeks hives were never diagnosed as to what they were caused by. I was guessing terrible 2's of toddlerhood and pushing her limits. We have 4 other dogs, none bullies though. Not able to move her crate into my bedroom at this time as 2 other dogs are already crated there at night. She is living room crated during the day.

16. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads