Goes potty outside, then immediately again inside??

ohrian

Sep 17, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Myrtle and Doug
Excuse the long explanation but I think it may be necessary to have the background information.

I have 2 full bred English bulldogs. 1 is a female I've had since she was 8 weeks old, she's 11 months now. The other is a male I adopted about 6 months ago who is about 2.5 years old. He was with owners who had a male American bulldog that didn't like him so I believe he was crated for most of his life, and then the couple had a baby and the 2 male dogs getting along just didn't work plus their baby so they asked me to take him. My female got on great with him and they've been besties ever since.

They're both really good dogs but I'm having house training issues.

I initially felt bad about crating them during the day so I'd put up a gate in my hallway/bathroom area and allowed them to be in that space during the day. They were peeing and pooping there constantly, they didn't hold it at all. It became a nightmare. About 2 weeks ago, I caved and got the 2 of them a big crate for them to call home with a super durable bed and they seem to really like it. They'll lay in there even with the door open. We've had NO accidents in the crate. They're doing good.

But the problem is when I do let them out, I will immediately take them outside to do their business. They will go out, they'll pee and poop, and then they'll walk back into the patio. I'm not dragging them back in or rushing them. (We are in an apartment.) But once they're back in, within 10-30 minutes, if they're out and have to go potty, they won't indicate it and they'll just go inside, both of them. I don't want to do "negative enforcement" or yell at them, because my understanding is that that doesn't work. I've tried giving them little treats after going potty outside to help them see going outside is what we want, but it just doesn't seem to work..

Any ideas on how to stop this? I don't want to crate them constantly, I don't know if that's the answer.. so yeah, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN!

I would go back to basics with both of them and positive reinforcements at the immediate time of potty taking place outside. Bringing the new guy into the home means they both have been given a change in their world/schedule and it is sometimes necessary to retrain them. When they go in the house... unless you catch them going - in the act-.. ignore, just clean it up and move along. however, if you do catch them.. give a firm NO and take them outside right away. When outside... through a party and give that treat when they do their business.. also associate a word with it. We use 'potty'... good job and a treat when done.

Good luck... it will take some time

Most Reactions