nappy time weirdness?

PeggyV

Sep 13, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Grace
So my Grace is 12 weeks old, and a joy to be around (mostly lol) but she has this weird habit when she's ready for a nap.

She will play, play, play and then tire and want to lie down for a nap, but she seems to have a need to be put to bed? She will stop playing, go to my recliner and start growling and barking. She will not stop until I pick her up and cuddle her. Once she has fallen to sleep in my arms (and it usually takes her no time to zonk out) I can set her down and she will usually (but not always) stay asleep. Then comes the ritualistic tip-toeing about the house so as not to wake her and start the process over again.

It's not an issue...yet. I can already see her though in a few weeks when she no longer fits in my lap...

Anyone else have this? She will sleep on her bed at night (it's next to ours) with little problem. It's just at nap time.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Welcome!!!! Little Mis Muffet has you wrapped around her paw!!!

Get like an old t-shirt of yours so she can skeep with it. But NEVER tiptoe. Do what you're supposed to do and do make nose so she gets use to it. If she whines or bark while you're busy, let her wIt. Unless if she needs to pee.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh my gosh that is the sweetest thing ever! and yes,, or BUT yes, (ha) be carful to set up something you may have a hard time breaking.. lol Hank, my now 1 1/2 yr old and up until recently, he would sometimes get to pacing when he wanted to sleep but sometimes I think he just didn't know how to settle himself. Yours is just a baby still wanting your sweet snuggles so enjoy while you can ;) they DO get heavy... lol And some even learn how to snuggle w/o squishing us ;)

OP
PeggyV

PeggyV

Sep 13, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Grace
Thanks! I will try the t-shirt trick. I hadn't thought of it but it makes sense :) She does seem to like to pee on bedding, though, so I hope she won't see it as bedding :/ It's weird....as long as there is no blanket she's marvelous about taking herself out to pee and poo, but throw a blankie into the mix and :eek:

Thanks for the advice!

OP
PeggyV

PeggyV

Sep 13, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Grace
oh my gosh that is the sweetest thing ever! and yes,, or BUT yes, (ha) be carful to set up something you may have a hard time breaking.. lol Hank, my now 1 1/2 yr old and up until recently, he would sometimes get to pacing when he wanted to sleep but sometimes I think he just didn't know how to settle himself. Yours is just a baby still wanting your sweet snuggles so enjoy while you can ;) they DO get heavy... lol And some even learn how to snuggle w/o squishing us ;)

I am loving the cuddling...just wary of the later consequences LOL I guess I'll just buy a bigger couch XD

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I am loving the cuddling...just wary of the later consequences LOL I guess I'll just buy a bigger couch XD

It's just such a sweet 'picture' for now, but oh they do grow, and are still so snuggly... That's super sweet about them but if your not going to want to do forever, think about it ;) . And Helene is super right about no tiptoe.. go on about your business or you will really be sorry for that one. They are just like having kids and cleaning up is easiest done while they sleep and are not under foot. I started that route for a bit with Hank and cut it real short as I felt trapped by him in a sense..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks! I will try the t-shirt trick. I hadn't thought of it but it makes sense :) She does seem to like to pee on bedding, though, so I hope she won't see it as bedding :/ It's weird....as long as there is no blanket she's marvelous about taking herself out to pee and poo, but throw a blankie into the mix and :eek:

Thanks for the advice!

remove beeding from her crate till she is fully trained... some dogs just can't have bedding for just this reason (regardless of age). The t-shirt is a great idea...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Thanks for the advice!
Like [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] mentioned, remove all bedding. Duke did the same. Only took a couple weeks for him to realize its a nice warm blanket or nothing. He opt for the blanket. But....his last pee is at 11pm n up at 6am. Schedule!

OP
PeggyV

PeggyV

Sep 13, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Grace
Thanks for the advice 2BullyMama and helsonwheels :)

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Bella really is pretty independent until she is tired then she wants to be on me or at least leaning on or touching me. If I am not available she'll use whomever is !
She is a solid girl though. 48 lbs on you it's hard to move at times! Lol

Members online

No members online now.