She looks sweet & Innocent, she isn't!

Luvn Miley

Jul 25, 2017
Oklahoma City, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miley
Well, Miley has been a member of our family one month today. She has wormed here way straight into our hearts I am happy to say. But sadly our home is very stressful with her dog on dog aggression. We were told she was terrified of other dogs, that's just not the case. She is aggressive towards other dogs so we are really on our toes these days where all our dogs are concerned. Luckily none of the other three are aggressive so they don't try to fight back, not that anybody is given the opportunity to fight now that we know the truth of the situation where Miley is concerned. Thank goodness for gates, crates and schedules!
We have found a behaviorist in our area that will come out for a two hour evaluation and then put a plan into place that will suit Miley's needs to a T. They guarantee their training which is a major plus. I'm just waiting to hear back from them to find out when they will come out.
Does anyone else have an aggressive (Dog on dog, she loves people) E.B.? Have you had to work with a Prof. trainer? What was your exp like? I feel like there is hope for Miley but presently she is a ticking time bomb. We are in this for the long haul. Any words of wisdom from those who have been there done this would be much appreciated.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have tagged someone who will be able to give you some advice. I have been lucky with my rescues. I will be praying that this works out for you.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would be very alpha with her so she understands you are the alpha, and she doesn't need to compete with the other dogs for alpha spot. Don't let her sit on sofa, practice nothing in life is free Dog Training: Nothing in Life is Free : The Humane Society of the United States

If you do see her being aggressive with other dogs, yell at her, confine her for half an hour or an hour and don't talk to her rest of day.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Continue as you are till you have the behaviorist cone in to evaluate. Female dog fights can be very serious and difficult to defuse. Us 'nothing in life is free' when you interact with her and ensure she knows you are the leader.

Our Banks was not a dog fan... she was socialized very well ( three times a week daycare) and just never cared ti be with other digs. She did OK with small breeds, but large long hair breeds-- they were NOT safe in her presence . she was very dominant and became a 9 year training session. We could not let up on her for a second or she would take the opening.

She was incredibly gentle and loving with human especially babies and children... she accepted puppies, but all adult dogs were an enemy to her.

We did a week of boot camp, two hours a week of in home training after that and then it became a way of life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
She didn't like LONG hair dogs? Wow, that's a funny reason not to like a dog. I've read other dogs don't like bulldogs because they can't read their intentions since they have a wrinkly face and almost no tail,but I didn't realize dogs may not like other dogs because of their coat. LOL

Continue as you are till you have the behaviorist cone in to evaluate. Female dog fights can be very serious and difficult to defuse. Us 'nothing in life is free' when you interact with her and ensure she knows you are the leader.

Our Banks was not a dog fan... she was socialized very well ( three times a week daycare) and just never cared ti be with other digs. She did OK with small breeds, but large long hair breeds-- they were NOT safe in her presence . she was very dominant and became a 9 year training session. We could not let up on her for a second or she would take the opening.

She was incredibly gentle and loving with human especially babies and children... she accepted puppies, but all adult dogs were an enemy to her.

We did a week of boot camp, two hours a week of in home training after that and then it became a way of life

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She didn't like LONG hair dogs? Wow, that's a funny reason not to like a dog. I've read other dogs don't like bulldogs because they can't read their intentions since they have a wrinkly face and almost no tail,but I didn't realize dogs may not like other dogs because of their coat. LOL

Yep, any long hair dog.. we would see her body go stiff and know she was about to go off. She really disliked Bouvier, poodles and newfoundland ... can't see their eyes due to hair being long on face. She got 'kicked out' of the big dog section in daycare and was a great 'ruler' of the littles. She couldn't care less about them and she actually played well with Pugs and doxies. However, she could still see the bigger dogs and she would stare them down from the other side of fence.

Daycare staff called her 'storm trooper'... lol

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
My Frenchie just recently had a fight with a German shepherd and about a month before that with a gigantic pug. She doesn't discriminate LOL

Yep, any long hair dog.. we would see her body go stiff and know she was about to go off. She really disliked Bouvier, poodles and newfoundland ... can't see their eyes due to hair being long on face. She got 'kicked out' of the big dog section in daycare and was a great 'ruler' of the littles. She couldn't care less about them and she actually played well with Pugs and doxies. However, she could still see the bigger dogs and she would stare them down from the other side of fence.

Daycare staff called her 'storm trooper'... lol

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Frenchie just recently had a fight with a German shepherd and about a month before that with a gigantic pug. She doesn't discriminate LOL

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

OP
Luvn Miley

Luvn Miley

Jul 25, 2017
Oklahoma City, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miley

I think you are correct in leaving things as they are until the Trainer comes in and understands the situation and a plan is put in place. At this point, Miley can't even interact with our others dogs without an almost instant attack from her.
I can't imagine yelling at her or that being effective with her as she is a dog who has been through the wringer being kicked, punched, choked, screamed at, hit with random objects and so on. So much effort has been put in over this last month to gain her trust, I'm afraid that would set us back at this point.
I appreciate all the replies, I read up on Nothing in Life is Free, will implement that.
I will keep you posted on her progress. Slow and steady is hopefully what I will be sharing. At least that's how this last month has gone. We are seeing wonderful progress with how she interacts with the human part of her family. She is aloof with strangers still but with her human family she is sheer happiness. I hope one day to be able to say she is happy with her canine family as well.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think you are correct in leaving things as they are until the Trainer comes in and understands the situation and a plan is put in place. At this point, Miley can't even interact with our others dogs without an almost instant attack from her.
I can't imagine yelling at her or that being effective with her as she is a dog who has been through the wringer being kicked, punched, choked, screamed at, hit with random objects and so on. So much effort has been put in over this last month to gain her trust, I'm afraid that would set us back at this point.
I appreciate all the replies, I read up on Nothing in Life is Free, will implement that.
I will keep you posted on her progress. Slow and steady is hopefully what I will be sharing. At least that's how this last month has gone. We are seeing wonderful progress with how she interacts with the human part of her family. She is aloof with strangers still but with her human family she is sheer happiness. I hope one day to be able to say she is happy with her canine family as well.

Agreed... raised voices only add to the excitement and anxiety... stay the calm and slow track.

Please do keep us posted--- sending lots of positive thoughts

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
This has surly been a good 'learning' post and you put into words very well your situation. It will be of great benefit for others in the future as well, as this is such a difficult situation that you are handling beautifully :) All the best! :") and keep us posted.

OP
Luvn Miley

Luvn Miley

Jul 25, 2017
Oklahoma City, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miley
The behavoirist/Trainer will be out the morning of the 29th to spend a couple of hours with all of us. Stay tuned.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Crate and rotate until a professional puts a plan in place is a great idea. I have the same situation with my Brutus. he was an only dog until we rescued Frankie. It took almost 2 months of having them separated by a gate to be able to even them in the same space without a fight. Frankie is very submissive so this helps. Brutus is Alpha all the way which is a problem for us when we rescued Jack last September who is also an Alpha. Again, we separated with gates to let them get used to each other. We have come to the point where they can be civil to each other all day but around 3:30 or 4pm, Brutus is fed and put into his crate because he wages an all out war on Jack. He will actually put himself in his crate when he feels out of control. I think he feels better being in his own space during this time. He usually is in there until 7pm when Jack goes to bed in his own crate for the night. Brutus then comes out refreshed and ready to play until he retires to the couch at 11pm for the night. At first I felt bad that he was in his crate for a few hours, but honestly, when I was rotating him and Jack in and out for these few hours he wanted to be in his crate so I stopped rotating. If I see him sitting up and looking like he wants to play instead of his usual sleeping, I will crate Jack and let brutus out. At this time it is what works for us. Brutus and Jack both being Alphas is not good. Jack never starts the fights but absolutely never backs down. This is our reality as we would never consider giving either up. They are both loving, great dogs. Brutus just isn't a fan of Jack. He does love Frankie to pieces though! lol

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
Re: She looks sweet & Innocent, she isn't!

Awww I'm sorry u are having such a hard time I don't have any experience with dog on dog aggression but I wanted to say I wish u and Mikey luck and hope the trainer can help I know it has to be hard on you both

- - - Updated - - -

And I meant miley this darn auto correct

OP
Luvn Miley

Luvn Miley

Jul 25, 2017
Oklahoma City, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miley
Thanks everyone for your responses and insights. I appreciate each one so much.

I thought it would be best to take Miley in for updated vaccinations since the trainer will be out next Tuesday and I can't get any response from the people we got her from about her vaccination history. The woman said she was current until this coming January but I can't trust a single word she has said so I didn't feel comfortable not knowing if she had had shots or not. So to the vet we went on Tuesday. I'm glad I did as I had the vet check Miley's urine because she had a couple accidents in her crate which wasn't something she has done to that point. She caught some urine and you could see blood in it. They tested it and yep, she has a UTI. So she is on Clavamox for 2 weeks. Dr. Deb went ahead and gave her a Rabies shot since the trainer will be coming out. Not that either one of us think Miley would bite her but just in case we have to break up a fight and this way everybody is covered.
Might I add.... Her vet is AWESOME. She took all the time in the world making Miley comfortable as I talked to her about Miley's past, the abuse, neglect, dog fights. She sat down on the floor and let Miley approach her. It was absolutely the most relaxed vet visit I had ever been to. By the end of the visit Miley was accepting treats from her. Even after the rabies shot she was wiggle butting around the office. So, "Yea for AWESOME veterinarians!!!"

Now an update on Miley's progression. I will add this here and once the trainer comes out I will start a new thread with newer updates.
We are now in 4 1/2 weeks. We are still rotating time out. Miley gets out of her crate about half the day now. She is gated off in our big living room and the other three dogs are in the other part of the house but can walk up to the gate at any time and see what we are up to. In the beginning Miley would lunge and bark at them, now she is giving them sideways glances without the growling, which is a huge improvement.
She is in the busiest room crate wise. I did this because I don't want her shoved off somewhere that she isn't going to come into contact with the other dogs on a regular basis. Again, in the beginning, if one of the others would walk past her crate she would bark, growl and lunge at them. I'm going to say now, only about half of the time is she acting this way. And the other times she is sitting watching them walk past. Almost as if she is thinking, "Is this even worth my effort to GET EM?"
Our little Boston Terrier (all 10 pounds of her) walked up to Mileys crate and they actually sniffed one another face to face. Miley didn't react in any way other than to sniff back. I wanted to jump for joy and do a jig but I didn't react at all.Well, a BIG smile but I sure didn't want to take that moment from Miley. It's actually a pretty big deal. I'm proud of our girl.
She is making noticeable strides and I could not be any happier with her progress thus far.

The pic is her at her Vet visit this past Tuesday.
MileyCherokeeHills.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.