New onset of aggression

Shellycor

Jul 27, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Easten
Hi all! So i have an almost 3 year old OEB named Easten. I love him rediculously! The past 8 months or so he started oit of nowhere becoming aggressive. He bite my neighbor , mailman, vet, now my son! Its weird because he can be around 30 plus people at times and never bite anyone. It seems to be when someone abruptly shows up , rings my doorbell, or walks up to him. I have 4 sons and i am at the point that i fear leaving him out in the house when people come over. Most of the time he is the sweetest dog its the weirdest thing. He has had numerous ear infections over the years and of course they were treated. I took him to the vet, and they suggested him having surgery to take out his ear canals due to scar tissue build up and that he may just not feel good because of that. The surgery is over 5K! Yikes. Any suggestions? It seems to me a dominance aggression. Just odd it started out of nowhere....at a loss....:(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi and welcome!

I might agree with your vet... he seems he could be in some type of pain. Deep ear infections and ear scar tissue can be very painful -- imagine having a headache 24/7/365, that is what might be happening. I would seek a second opinion and think about having the procedure done for his ears. That is where I would start... get the ears address to eliminate the pain.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
From what I read the surgery cost runs between 1400 dollars and 4000 dollars, with the lower end price charged by a regular vet and the higher end by a board certified veterinary surgeon. You should definitely get a second opinion and another cost estimate.

Have you tried putting 1mL manuka honey in ear for 21 days? It's used nowadays for really resistant infections especially for skin ulcers. You would need one with a UMF rating of at least 15 or more. If ear is scarred up then it won't help since honey won't get to the bottom of the canal.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
May be it is pain. If not, you may also think about other option. If Dogs are loved and pampered too much, like we all do with our bulldogs:yes:, sometimes they start thinking that they are leaders of pack and try to show people who is a boss. Recently my sweetest bullie, who is family idol, out of blue growled at me (ME! His best friend and primary caregiver) when I didn't let him in our bedroom and closed door in front of him. I've never seen something like this before! After I picked up my jaw from the floor, I swiftly grabbed a scariest for bullies thing - broom and chased him into his bed, and then added several sprinkles of water from second scariest thing - sprayer. After such an assault from Mom who was always so nice to him, he was scared to get out of bed for couple of hours:D
but I know that it was our fault - he feels like a king of house. So now I practice every day "nothing in life is free" principle - drills "sit-lie down- paw" before giving food, never let him pass through the door first, leash for going for a walk only after sitting nicely, hugs and kisses only after he performs drills etc. Works like magic.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
From what I read the surgery cost runs between 1400 dollars and 4000 dollars, with the lower end price charged by a regular vet and the higher end by a board certified veterinary surgeon. You should definitely get a second opinion and another cost estimate.

Have you tried putting 1mL manuka honey in ear for 21 days? It's used nowadays for really resistant infections especially for skin ulcers. You would need one with a UMF rating of at least 15 or more. If ear is scarred up then it won't help since honey won't get to the bottom of the canal.

plus 1000! Manuka honey is super good for this type of things!

OP
S

Shellycor

Jul 27, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Easten
Thank u...think i will get another opinion

- - - Updated - - -

Ill look into that honey...where do u find that?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
plus 1000! Manuka honey is super good for this type of things!

I too have used Manuka honey for stuff but amazing IN the ear! i'd sure want to keep him away from bugs that may be attracted... anyway,, "plus 1000 ? is that a brand?

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
No, I meant something like I want to add plus 1000 points for this advice:) manuka honey works magic for stomach ulcer, heals long lasting skin lesions like caused by diabetes or varicose veins and many more.
there are different brands, but it should be made in Australia or New Zealand, as manuka trees grow only there.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
No, I meant something like I want to add plus 1000 points for this advice:) manuka honey works magic for stomach ulcer, heals long lasting skin lesions like caused by diabetes or varicose veins and many more.
there are different brands, but it should be made in Australia or New Zealand, as manuka trees grow only there.

awww, I see :) and yes, it was amazing for what ever I got it for but don't remember what that was :/ I still have and when I feel a sore throat coming on, I use it. Oh yea!!! I used for a cold sore and it never broke out!! don't know how it would do on one that has caught hold though.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi all! So i have an almost 3 year old OEB named Easten. I love him rediculously! The past 8 months or so he started oit of nowhere becoming aggressive. He bite my neighbor , mailman, vet, now my son! Its weird because he can be around 30 plus people at times and never bite anyone. It seems to be when someone abruptly shows up , rings my doorbell, or walks up to him. I have 4 sons and i am at the point that i fear leaving him out in the house when people come over. Most of the time he is the sweetest dog its the weirdest thing. He has had numerous ear infections over the years and of course they were treated. I took him to the vet, and they suggested him having surgery to take out his ear canals due to scar tissue build up and that he may just not feel good because of that. The surgery is over 5K! Yikes. Any suggestions? It seems to me a dominance aggression. Just odd it started out of nowhere....at a loss....:(

Here is what one of our members posted. Ive been using this mix for Nyala's tail pocket and I swear by it. It's the mix or amputation. Been numerous months now and works fantastically well. Not just for ears!!!!

From [MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION]*/Sarah Its been a little while since I've posted so to catch up...Sgt.Schultz is turning 10 tomorrow and is still full of himself. His health has been pretty good (lots of maintenance) but I wouldn't trade him for the world.I've been home cooking for about 3 years (in a pinch we use a grain free honest kitchen that we add a protein to) and this seems to work well for his*system.His*chronic ear infections have been healed with a blend of essential oils that we apply weekly with a cotton balls - better than any antibiotic or vet supplied ear drop. Here is the essential oil recipe for ear infections or just maintaining good ear*health. .Spray*on cotton ball and wipe out ears ...don't spray directly in*ears. In*a 2 ounce glass spray bottle, combine: 15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae. Fractionated*Coconut Oil*to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full. Shake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infectionsIf ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated*coconut oil*on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We had an issue of aggression in our male Walter, and after having him neutered we discovered he had an anal gland issue. This very well could be caused by pain, I would definitely get the second opinion.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I'm sure the mixture is great for tail pockets but there is no way that putting some of this on a cotton ball or cotton round once a week will cure an ear infection as it says in the quote. Are you sure you can't use it daily during an ear infection??

Here is what one of our members posted. Ive been using this mix for Nyala's tail pocket and I swear by it. It's the mix or amputation. Been numerous months now and works fantastically well. Not just for ears!!!!

From [MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION]*/Sarah Its been a little while since I've posted so to catch up...Sgt.Schultz is turning 10 tomorrow and is still full of himself. His health has been pretty good (lots of maintenance) but I wouldn't trade him for the world.I've been home cooking for about 3 years (in a pinch we use a grain free honest kitchen that we add a protein to) and this seems to work well for his*system.His*chronic ear infections have been healed with a blend of essential oils that we apply weekly with a cotton balls - better than any antibiotic or vet supplied ear drop. Here is the essential oil recipe for ear infections or just maintaining good ear*health. .Spray*on cotton ball and wipe out ears ...don't spray directly in*ears. In*a 2 ounce glass spray bottle, combine: 15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae. Fractionated*Coconut Oil*to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full. Shake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infectionsIf ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated*coconut oil*on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I'm sure the mixture is great for tail pockets but there is no way that putting some of this on a cotton ball or cotton round once a week will cure an ear infection as it says in the quote. Are you sure you can't use it daily during an ear infection??

I do Nyala's tail every 2nd 3rd day max. I dont see any problem if you use it to start every 3 days to get rid of the infection. But if you read the last comment 2 drops of lavender n 4 drops of fractionated CO, that I would do daily only for a really BAD infections. There is no harm in these oils but we are talking about the ear canals so oil will make its way down there n keep all oily n will sting if you do not mix it with FCO. The 15drops mixture is with a 5oz bottle so it's diluted more. I dont use witch hazel as these oils are all for inflammations n already stings. If it's an outside rash or hives, yes I would do it 3x a day. I personally use the mixture once a month for Nyala's ears. There is really no brown dirt whatsoever. Nice n pink.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Sounds good. The 15 drop mixture says to put in a 2 oz
In*a 2 ounce glass spray bottle, combine: 15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae. Fractionated*Coconut Oil*to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full

I do Nyala's tail every 2nd 3rd day max. I dont see any problem if you use it to start every 3 days to get rid of the infection. But if you read the last comment 2 drops of lavender n 4 drops of fractionated CO, that I would do daily only for a really BAD infections. There is no harm in these oils but we are talking about the ear canals so oil will make its way down there n keep all oily n will sting if you do not mix it with FCO. The 15drops mixture is with a 5oz bottle so it's diluted more. I dont use witch hazel as these oils are all for inflammations n already stings. If it's an outside rash or hives, yes I would do it 3x a day. I personally use the mixture once a month for Nyala's ears. There is really no brown dirt whatsoever. Nice n pink.

Members online

No members online now.