I've Hired a Trainer... it's time to admit I need help

Pugaboo

Apr 6, 2017
Georgia
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Josephine
I've written in before about Josephine and the Pugs. We have had a lot of changes around here and a week ago decided to hire a trainer to come to the house.

The biggest change has been my 2 oldest Pugs have gone to the bridge. At over 15 and over 12 I tell myself they had good lives but it still hurts and miss them every day. The vet came to the house to help with their passing and the other 2 Pugs and Josephine got to say good bye to them as well. It was as calm and peaceful as it was possible to be.

Another change is lack of outdoor and walking time. It's been HOT really really hot here and it's been impossible to get enough walking or yard time to wear Josephine out. We are also have a horrid season for ticks. I've treated the yard and all the dogs and still the evil things show up. Living where I do that makes it difficult to walk her in the shade under the trees in the grass. I don't want her to get sick from a tick bite and I don't want to get sick either.

Our family unit now is Mommy Artist, Daddy Disabled, Mercury Pug, Callie Pug and Josephine EB. Mercury and Callie will be 8 in October, Josephine will be 6 months in August. Josephine has stopped biting Mommy and Daddy YAY. She has reduced but not stopped the biting of Callie and Mercury. She more does a mouthing bumping action on their cheeks and seems to just try and tug at their legs rather than dragging or biting down. The Pugs put up with some of this but they both can get overwhelmed as she has so much energy and never stops moving.

Our major issue has been Callie, who up until a month ago I would have said was a stuffy we had to feed, suddenly she is the aggressor. She will chase Josephine and push push push until Josephine reacts. Then Callie plays the victim. She is like this little Tasmanian devil at times, growling, hissing, biting, charging, wiggling, etc. There are 2 times a day that seem to be the worst, first thing in the morning, they are all fresh and excited about the day. Then in the evening when we sit down to watch television. I'm afraid someone is going to get hurt so I contacted my vet and she gave me the name of a trainer that will come to the house and see them interact in their own environment.

We have started the nothing is free and positive food training. Josephine is amazing, so smart. First thing the trainer taught me was the Call Out, we use PUPPIES, loud and high. Josephine knows already in less than a week, in fact in less than 2 days, when I say that stop what you are doing and come to Mommy and you will get a treat. She even sits now when she comes to me. Callie on the other hand has learned that Josephine will "give up" and run to Mommy when I say it and she cuts Josephine off from getting to me and bites at her until Josephine responds thus breaking the training. Callie gets put in time out and Josephine gets walked through, come, sit, down, etc to let her understand the commands. I have asked the trainer to address this issue on her next visit.

Josephine also has the habit of bumping her snout against their faces and puts her feet and head on top of the pugs since she is now taller and bigger than they are. She has issues with knowing boundaries and how much force to use. The trainer is helping with this by using the call out PUPPIES, the warning TAKE IT EASY, time out for the aggressor and treats for the one that follows commands. It is hard to know when playtime is getting ready to become fight time, I'm just glad Josephine is as laid back as she is because if she wanted to she could really hurt Callie who is half her size.

Josephine and Callie are OBSESSED with each other. Callie checks on her first thing in the morning, last thing at night, when I walk into a room she could care less about me but immediately looks for Josephine. A lot of the time they kiss, nudge, sit, even lie next to each other just fine. Callie often mimics the stuff Josephine does and they will even eat out of the same bowl if I let them! Callie is a tad fat.. excuse me... fluffy, so I don't encourage this as I try to control her diet. Callie has always hated frozen bananas (they make nice treats) but Josephine adores them so now when she gets one Callie has to have some too and thinks frozen bananas are the best thing ever.

The trainer has me teaching Josephine the call out which she gets perfectly, sit, down, come, find, and watch. She is doing really well but Callie is a little brat and insists on interrupting and making Josephine do what she wants not what I want. Callie is doing a lot of time out. Oh and Mercury just wants to be left alone and for Josepjine to promise to never touch his paws, she knows he hates his paws being touched and will lay there and poke and prod them until he loses it and squeals. He is deaf so I can't teach him the call out which complicates things.

I've been reading through some of the lines here about aggression and integrating dogs and frankly the stories scare me. I worry I am going to have to keep them separate for the rest of their lives, that we won't be able to all snuggle on the couch or bed and watch TV, that one day Josephine will just say ENOUGH and really hurt Callie. I won't get rid of Callie or Mercury I've had them since they were 2 weeks old.

I don't want to even think about getting rid of Josephine as she really is a sweet dog, a little exuberant at times but she's a puppy, and when the Pugs aren't around she is calm, laid back, loving, gentle and I love her to bits. She will let me put my hand in her mouth and fish around for contraband, she lays with her back against me and hardly fusses all while I dremel her nails, let's me clean under tail, and if I beg tolerates me doing her ears, she listens to me 90% of the time when I tell her to do stuff, the other 10% she knows what I want but just wants to show me she is a Bulldog and stubborn just in case I forget and then does what I want.
IMG_9794.JPG

Should I be worried that the aggression stories are the norm? Those of you that have different breeds and different ages... how do you get them to get along?

Sorry it got so long just wanted as much detail as I could give.

T

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I don't think Josephine is "aggressive" I think she is a pup, full of energy!:paci::rundog: I know how hot it is outside-as it has been the same here-can not stay outside for very long. Perhaps keeping Josephine on a leash all the time,and letting it drag. When she starts really bugging the pugs too much,get a hold of the leash,telling her no bite,stick a nylabone in her mouth, and say "here,bite this!" Perhaps you can start throwing a ball against the door,or somewhere for her,teach her to bring it back, and spend some of her energy. Most bullie pups get the "zoomies" twice a day, morning and just before bedtime! She is just full of energy,and taking it out on the poor pugs. You have to step in and find a way that YOU can help her redirect her energy,so less will be taken out on the pugs. That is why I like having two pups at once! The older dogs aren't interested in rough "puppy play". If you find a way to use up her extra energy-she will eventually grow up more and believe it or not-start to settle down! Play, Mama,play!!:playing::play::rundog::jump::basketball2::basketball::toss: Don't give up:retreat:-someday you will be glad you didn't!:mansfriend: [MENTION=17037]Pugaboo[/MENTION]

OP
P

Pugaboo

Apr 6, 2017
Georgia
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Josephine
Thank you. Yes she is very energetic and I love the term Zoomies, that describes it perfectly. I talked with the trainer and my vet and took Josephine for a short walk early early today into town on the sidewalk only no grass or bush diving allowed. She panted some even that early but seemed to do okay, it wasn't as far as she was going before but I think in a lot of ways the walk is more of a mental stimulation for her. She was much more relaxed when we got home and stayed that way for most of the day. She is a really good sweet girl and I don't think she is aggressive just exuberant.

Callie the tiny Pug demon on the other hand.... she pushes and pushes and pushes Josephine until Josephine acts out. She chases her around the house and tries to keep Josephine from being petted by Daddy and she cuts in front of her when Josephine listens to my command to stop and take it easy when they get over excited playing and come sit in front of Mommy. Callie won't let her do it, she makes Josephine do what SHE wants and chases her around and is basically a BRAT. The trainer is going to try and help address this issue. Callie doesn't know it but she may have a lot of time outs in the kennel heading her way.

Josie went to Home Depot for the first time today. She did so well she was, dare I say it, PERFECT! She got pats from several people and got to ride in a bright orange cart, I took her training treat bag with and she got to show off sit and down for people. She had a great time and I was sooooo proud of her. The trainer wants me to take her out more to meet as many people as possible so she is comfortable and doesn't develop issues with that. I'm so proud of my girl she acted polite and sweet and charming to everyone she met.

I really do love this little dog so much, I got her for my husband as he wanted one for years but she has ended up spending most of her time with me.

T

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you. Yes she is very energetic and I love the term Zoomies, that describes it perfectly. I talked with the trainer and my vet and took Josephine for a short walk early early today into town on the sidewalk only no grass or bush diving allowed. She panted some even that early but seemed to do okay, it wasn't as far as she was going before but I think in a lot of ways the walk is more of a mental stimulation for her. She was much more relaxed when we got home and stayed that way for most of the day. She is a really good sweet girl and I don't think she is aggressive just exuberant.

Callie the tiny Pug demon on the other hand.... she pushes and pushes and pushes Josephine until Josephine acts out. She chases her around the house and tries to keep Josephine from being petted by Daddy and she cuts in front of her when Josephine listens to my command to stop and take it easy when they get over excited playing and come sit in front of Mommy. Callie won't let her do it, she makes Josephine do what SHE wants and chases her around and is basically a BRAT. The trainer is going to try and help address this issue. Callie doesn't know it but she may have a lot of time outs in the kennel heading her way.

Josie went to Home Depot for the first time today. She did so well she was, dare I say it, PERFECT! She got pats from several people and got to ride in a bright orange cart, I took her training treat bag with and she got to show off sit and down for people. She had a great time and I was sooooo proud of her. The trainer wants me to take her out more to meet as many people as possible so she is comfortable and doesn't develop issues with that. I'm so proud of my girl she acted polite and sweet and charming to everyone she met.

I really do love this little dog so much, I got her for my husband as he wanted one for years but she has ended up spending most of her time with me.

T

You guys are allowed to bring dogs in Home Depot ? Here, if its not a toy dog and not in your tote bag....out you go!

Duke's my little beaver. Eats wood, rocks, plastic n more. Maybe he'll feel like home at Home Depot lolll

OP
P

Pugaboo

Apr 6, 2017
Georgia
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Josephine
You guys are allowed to bring dogs in Home Depot ? Here, if its not a toy dog and not in your tote bag....out you go!

The sign on the door says NO but I've never had an issue or been told I couldn't bring a dog in with me. I live in the COUNTRY. I have to drive an hour just to get to a Home Depot and it is another 15 minutes from it to get into the town it is located in. The girls at the cash register all went gaga for Josie and they always squeal and giggle when Callie comes through usually wearing her little sundress. I am very careful and never go during major busy times and bring a blanket for the cart and their feet never touch the floors. Leash and harness of course. If I ever get asked to leave I will but luckily it hasn't happened yet... personally I think the sign on the door should say No Kids... THEY are more disruptive and unsafe than my dog. Just my opinion of course.

Oh and amosie tried to tell Daddy she needed a new bed when we rolled last the doggy bed display. He said she already had 6 beds at home and wasn't that enough? She said No I don't have a blue bed. He checked it over and told her it wasn't made very well and he knows little Bulldog girls are rough in their beds. So no new bed but she did get another treat from Mommy to make up for the disappointment.

T

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
The sign on the door says NO but I've never had an issue or been told I couldn't bring a dog in with me. I live in the COUNTRY. I have to drive an hour just to get to a Home Depot and it is another 15 minutes from it to get into the town it is located in. The girls at the cash register all went gaga for Josie and they always squeal and giggle when Callie comes through usually wearing her little sundress. I am very careful and never go during major busy times and bring a blanket for the cart and their feet never touch the floors. Leash and harness of course. If I ever get asked to leave I will but luckily it hasn't happened yet... personally I think the sign on the door should say No Kids... THEY are more disruptive and unsafe than my dog. Just my opinion of course.

Oh and amosie tried to tell Daddy she needed a new bed when we rolled last the doggy bed display. He said she already had 6 beds at home and wasn't that enough? She said No I don't have a blue bed. He checked it over and told her it wasn't made very well and he knows little Bulldog girls are rough in their beds. So no new bed but she did get another treat from Mommy to make up for the disappointment.T

Hey if it works and they dont say anything, go for it. And yes ive work for years with kids n had more control n respect comparing to their parents. Some kids in stores I swear, if I did that, I would get "THE LOOK" from my mom! Trust me that look spoked! Lolll

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@Pugapoo It definitely sounds like Callie is the one the trainer should be working with. I think she is jealous of Josephine. If nothing works, you may have to get Callie an electric(sounds harsher than is....) collar. They have ones for little dogs,and you can train Callie with it. Seems like J is just a normal pup-very well behaved,in fact. Some people are against them(the ecollar)-I haven't needed one, but if used correctly it will solve the problem .

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

T

@Pugapoo It definitely sounds like Callie is the one the trainer should be working with. I think she is jealous of Josephine. If nothing works, you may have to get Callie an electric(sounds harsher than is....) collar. They have ones for little dogs,and you can train Callie with it. Seems like J is just a normal pup-very well behaved,in fact. Some people are against them(the ecollar)-I haven't needed one, but if used correctly it will solve the problem .

I agree with Lynn... Callie is your training focus. By any chance, were one of the pugs that past the 'alpha' of the dogs? You should always be the leader/alpha, but there will always be a dog alpha too. If your answer is yes, then Callie is trying to take that role over and Josie, she sees, as her only rival for it. Ask your trainer if this is possible.

OP
P

Pugaboo

Apr 6, 2017
Georgia
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Josephine
Yes Dora, one of my Pugs that passed, was my alpha and Gaia the second was my most likely runner up. Callie is the "baby" of the family. The other Pugs always gave her whatever she wanted when she was little. She wasn't in charge just sort of got away with stuff the others never would have taken off each other. She respected Dora though and wouldn't cross her but Dora loved her so much and spoiled her and treated her different than she did the other Pugs and the other Pugs just followed her lead. If Callie wanted a toy the others had she would cry and wheedle and whine until Dora would walk over get the toy and give it to Callie. In some ways I think just to shut her up. People wouldn't believe me when I would tell them the Pugs are spoiling Callie rotten until they would see it in action for themselves, then they would be like, WOW They really do let her get away with stuff don't they!

I will talk with the trainer and see if there is anything can be done to help Callie adjust to Josie being here. I'm pretty sure Josie will end up the alpha I just hope it doesn't take blood to get there. I do know Callie is completely obsessed with Josie and anything Josie does Callie has to do too. Whatever Josie eats Callie decides she loves as well, like frozen bananas, Callie HATED frozen bananas but now when we give Josie slices of frozen banana Callie wants some too. Frozen bananas are a nice cool treat for sore gums and yummy as well.

I'll keep you all posted as we transition into this new phase.

T

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.