Brought in a rescue bully to our home - bulldogs fighting, please help. :(

ambertopp

Jul 23, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee & Jaxson
Hey everyone,

So backstory - I adopted my current bully, Brynnlee, when she was 6 years old - now she is 10. I got her due to her previous owners needing to rehome her as they stated she was an aggressive dog and did not get along with their other animals. They had two small bengals that did not respect her space, but the lady who had her had also gotten married and from my understanding he brought his dogs into their home to begin life as a married couple and then Brynnlee was deemed aggressive. She was also temporarily rehomed, I am not sure why, but with the ladies uncle... Brynnlee HATES guys, she will hide behind me, cower down, or growl/show her teeth/and bark and lung at them. She however loves my fiancé, but that took A LOT of time for her to come around to him and trust him. She flips out when we spray free breeze or water spray bottles as well. So her history, which is slightly unclear to me, makes me question if she was abused in her life time. Since I have had her though she has done phenomenal and has not showed to me any aggression, unless a male comes at her and she feels uncomfortable. We take her to dog parks and she will play and wrestle like a typical bulldog with all with no problems.... she even has came around farther to some guys and went up to them and licked their hands.

So fast forward to now, I hate leaving her alone when we both are at work - she looks so sad, so we've been tossing around the idea of a second bully for companionship.
This past week we adopted a male bully, Jaxson, whose 7 and brought him home with us. His story is basically him and his sister, also a bulldog whose 10 now, lived together in Texas up until this month when the rescue had gotten involved with the family who had them as his sister was doing poorly health wise - the family ignored her allergy to grain causing all her hair to fall out, her ears wouldn't even perk up due to such severe ear infections and them not draining, so the rescue took her in, but also took him as they felt if she was not cared for appropriately then he would end up the same way. She is doing much, much better now. So, they were bought up to IL and Jaxson had to be boarded for a week as a foster did not have room for him and then he was brought into a foster home with numerous dogs such as a St. Bernard, Newfoundland, and various smaller breeds for another week until I met him.

His foster said he has anxiety - which is to be expected after his world was turned upside down, and he will lick the air and then begin to growl which are sure signs he is going to get after a dog. He has done this multiple times to Brynnlee and lunged at her face, almost trying to head butt her and she will snap right back at him. The first times he cowered down and rolled over and it was over. Also, they won't do this if we are right next to them, he will just start to growl until we say no and he will stop. However, now it has gotten to the point that he went after her and got in her face trying to bite her and she snapped back in his face and got on top of them and began a full out fight until my fiancé could pull them off of each other. He drew blood on Brynnlee, which makes me feel terrible for her. My fiancé put him into the bathroom and let Brynn have free roam to cool them down.

We keep them separated when we aren't home, but when we are home and try to separate them he cries and whines and does not stop. They lay on the couch together fine - not touching but near each other and will walk together okay - Jaxson likes to try to walk me and Brynnlee will walk right next to us.

Now I feel like a terrible bulldog mom to Brynnlee because the looks she has given me since brining him home is heartbreaking, she will rarely come near us now, and acts like she wants nothing to do with being here. Before she would play and was a happy dog until we had to leave. I am worried I ruined her life by bringing him into our home and I also feel terrible because if they continue to fight I cannot keep him, but he also deserves a good forever home also.

Im not sure what to do. :(

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I'm so glad you found your way here as it is such a great place for information ALL about bulldogs.. I know there's a few here who have gone through pretty much what your going through and I'm sure will have some great info for you.... in every direction :) Hopefully you can sort it out between them, but this is a very supportive group in that many have also 'been' where you are and had to make other hard decisions... hang on,, others will chime in soon, I just happen to get here first and so wanted to welcome you :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would try being extremely alpha with BOTH dogs, especially Jaxson. If they start growling at each other then yell at both and separate both, maybe cage Jaxson. Have Jaxson on a Martingale collar in house and outside. Do not allow either on furniture. Practice Nothing in Life Is Free with both. Dog Training: Nothing in Life is Free : The Humane Society of the United States

If it's not working, just rehome Jaxson to a no pet household.

OP
A

ambertopp

Jul 23, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee & Jaxson
I have tried to do the alpha thing, however I think both can see that this is hard on me and sense that I'm having a hard time deciding what to do.

They got into it again tonight and my female literally tries to kill him, and she's bigger than him - not that that always means something, but it took all I had to get her off of him tonight. He instigates it always - by lunging in her face, but I truly don't believe she will ever tolerate him. The way she yelped at him tonight was something I have never seen or heard her do before.- and now she's acting so stressed, I don't want anything to happen to her. She's my number one.

However, I hate the thought of giving him back to the rescue because I don't know where he will be, what will happen to him or what not. He truly is a good dog, and his world was turned upside down... I just don't want him to think no one wants him and I feel like a horrible person to have to bring him here and he opens up to us and now I'm taking him back and he won't even know what to think.

I have spent all night crying about it.

Karen100

Apr 14, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie,Taylor,Gatsby
I have 3 bullies and the 2 females started to fight about 1 1/2 years ago. I know keep them separated in the house. They can be around each other outside to go to the bathroom as long as nothing makes them excited. You have to be fare to the older dog . It's hard but if you want to keep both dogs you have to keep them separated. Good luck.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I have tried to do the alpha thing, however I think both can see that this is hard on me and sense that I'm having a hard time deciding what to do.

They got into it again tonight and my female literally tries to kill him, and she's bigger than him - not that that always means something, but it took all I had to get her off of him tonight. He instigates it always - by lunging in her face, but I truly don't believe she will ever tolerate him. The way she yelped at him tonight was something I have never seen or heard her do before.- and now she's acting so stressed, I don't want anything to happen to her. She's my number one.

However, I hate the thought of giving him back to the rescue because I don't know where he will be, what will happen to him or what not. He truly is a good dog, and his world was turned upside down... I just don't want him to think no one wants him and I feel like a horrible person to have to bring him here and he opens up to us and now I'm taking him back and he won't even know what to think.

Im so sorry for what your going through.. It's happened here before and i know what i would have to do .. even if it would be the hardest thing in in the world. i world have to re home your boy. For one, it causes so much stress for ALL to keep it this way. You were trying to help not make things worse for your girl and this is defiantly not it. I think if you let it go on to long your going to have way more issues for her, and the boy, than you ever wanted and then still, have to re home anyway. It hurts but it seems that since he is still a good boy too, id hurry the process.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I myself have 2 female bulldogs,one French and one British, and they do get along most of the time, but when something sets them off, they fight, and it seems like it's to the death. My French bulldog is smaller and has had her leg chewed a couple of times, and both have had bloodied faces from locking on to each other. Since I have been more alpha to the bigger dog, it's gotten better, but I do avoid situations like leaving toys around that they might fight over, or walking them together by myself in case I come across other dogs or people who want to pet them, which seems to set my dogs off against each other. But they are fine to leave alone with each other when I'm at work since they just sleep. But if the situation does get worse I'll rehome the newer dog, even though she is just as nice as my other dog. It's not hard to find replacement homes for a bully, everyone loves them.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
...but he also deserves a good forever home also.

Im not sure what to do. :(

You made a mistake bringing a 7 yr old Bulldog into your home when you already have a (previously deemed) dog aggressive 10 yr old bulldog living with you. IMO, the likelihood that these dogs will ever accept each other & live in peace is minuscule. This scenario will require constant management for the remainder of 10 yr old's life. You are correct in stating that the new boy deserves a good forever home, just not this one.
I suggest you return the new boy to rescue and love on Brynnlee as much as she can stand.

At this point it should be about doing all you can for HIM. Return him to rescue and they will find him a new home...one where he can thrive.
We, as a rescue group, pride ourselves in our ability to find the right dog for the right home. We don't always get it right the first time, but it's very rare that we don't. IMO, this dog was not a good fit for your home from the start...and based on what you've stated, the rescue group should have known this. They should bear some of the responsibility for this failure.
I wish you and both dogs well and hope you can get things sorted soon.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
("IMO, this dog was not a good fit for your home from the start...and based on what you've stated, the rescue group should have known this. They should bear some of the responsibility for this failure.")
I wish you and both dogs well and hope you can get things sorted soon. " As @oscarmayer stated-I also agree. Your loyalty right now should be to your older dog. You have worked hard to get her to the point she was at,and this scenario is traumatic for her. I understand where you are coming from,as I had rescued a Frenchie,who seemed very sweet-at first. Come the second day, she started attacking my original dogs whenever they tried to come near me! Turns out she had been an "only" dog,and was extremely jealous. Sadly, I had to give her back to the rescue,and told them that she should be an only dog. It was hard to do,as I usually don't give up,but my concern was for all my dogs. Keeping him will cause more stress for all involved. Think of giving the best life for Brynnlee,as that is why you brought her into your home. @ambertopp No one will fault you for this. Sometimes things just don't go the way we'd hoped.:(

OP
A

ambertopp

Jul 23, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee & Jaxson
You guys are right. It seems like I make up my mind to return him to the rescue but then I talk myself out of it because everyone is giving me **** for not trying more. Then I'm back to thinking oh I can make it work... yeah probably not and turns out he's actually 8 and will be 9 next month. Both older stubborn dogs. I wish the rescue would've gave me this info before we took him hone had I known this I wouldn't have adopted him but they made it seems like the perfect fit.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
It's best to return him sooner rather than later. Do not put it off.
If they get into another altercation and you, or someone else gets bittenwhile trying to break it up...that changes everything, greatly lessening his ability to be rehomed. Known biters rarely ever find new homes. Please do what's in his best interest before one of the bullies or a person gets seriously hurt.

OP
A

ambertopp

Jul 23, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee & Jaxson
I never looked at it that way. Thank you.

I just need to put my feelings aside and do whats best for him. Unfortunately he fits so well with my fiancé and I - and we both love him. But not our entire family. Honestly I wish I would have never adopted him - it would have avoided all of this, I know that sounds bad, but its stirred up so many emotions.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I never looked at it that way. Thank you.

I just need to put my feelings aside and do whats best for him. Unfortunately he fits so well with my fiancé and I - and we both love him. But not our entire family. Honestly I wish I would have never adopted him - it would have avoided all of this, I know that sounds bad, but its stirred up so many emotions.

Thank you for trying, but as the group has stated... you need to do what is best for him and your family. Wishing you all the best... hoping Jaxson finds a great new home ... please keep us posted on situation.

Welcome to EBN

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.