Wants to join fights

Kathy Henry

Dec 10, 2013
Aurora, IL
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Pugsley
So my bulldog is not aggressive and never starts fights. But he does seem very excited by them . Whenever 2 dogs get in a fight at the dog park he jumps right in the middle. He hears growling from all the way on the other side of the park and he'll go running over. He gets so excited. Again, he never starts them but he jumps in there and starts to growl and snap. He's not aggressive or mean, it almost seems like he thinks it's a game. But while the other dogs will quickly stop my bulldog gets so wound up i have to separate him. Anyone else experience this?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My GS turned extremely aggressive cause he got attack 2x in dog parks as a pup. He never forgotten it. Im so not a dog park fan. The issue is not the dogs but the owners. Owners on off leash are too far from their dogs and it can turn nasty. If i was you, i would go to a dog park but where dogs have to be on leashes. You will have more control of your dog if a situation arise. If it does then you can yank his leash with a firm NO, WALK! Your dog will get use to not go where he shouldn't. After awhile he'll get it not to go. Like I said im not a fan of off leash parks. There's no way you can control your dog if he's at the other end of the park. Unless he's full train when you say, STAY and he does, that's a different story. I stopped going last year even though it was off leash, Nyala was always on a leash unless if it was the mini park whivh was one dog at a time in there. Then one day she threw up a worm. That was it for me. My 2 cents on off leash parks.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
My French bully who is a rescue, has one eye and one ear badly damaged from a fight before I got her. She's terrible when off leash around other dogs- will eventually start a fight with another dog. I would only take her to an off leash park at this point if she is on a leash, so not much point. My English bully is not a rescue, and never starts a fight, except will sometimes fight with the French bully if they both want a toy.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I stopped going to dog parks specifically for that reason alone... AND of course you have these idiot owners on their phones and not paying attention to their dogs. A fight can break out in a second, and it can have disastrous results.

My Bella didn't start fights either, but she stayed right next to me and if something happened she would jump right in.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So my bulldog is not aggressive and never starts fights. But he does seem very excited by them . Whenever 2 dogs get in a fight at the dog park he jumps right in the middle. He hears growling from all the way on the other side of the park and he'll go running over. He gets so excited. Again, he never starts them but he jumps in there and starts to growl and snap. He's not aggressive or mean, it almost seems like he thinks it's a game. But while the other dogs will quickly stop my bulldog gets so wound up i have to separate him. Anyone else experience this?

probably over stimulation... it is tough to break that zone, it is not aggression but will appear as such cause of the noise, he is just over excited and not sure what to do so he is jumping in on what is going on. I would avoid off-leash parks

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Dog parks are simply a BAD idea, IMO. I went once, did not like what I saw, and left. We've been told too many stories of dogs getting mauled by other dogs allowed to run at large by their irresponsible owners.
I feel that if you go often enough the likelihood that your dog will get injured in an altercation is high. Again IMO, the fun a dog might have at the park is hardly worth the GA, shaving, stitches, scar, cone of shame, recovery down time, and mental trauma your dog will experience if attacked and injured in a fight. Not to mention the injuries to owners that try to break things up and end up in the middle.
If you choose to go please be very careful and don't let Pugsley get hurt.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.