MaybellesMommy

Jul 18, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Maybelle
This is my first post and I'm still trying to understand the site so bare with me lol -- Our Maybelle turned 3 years old this month. We have had her since she was a teeny tiny baby and she was raised around our young children, ages 8, 8 and 4 (twin boys and a girl). She has always done very well with our family and we bring her on all family trips. Within the last year Maybelle decided to start urinating on our beds. After replacing them, we bought mattress covers and she still continues to when a door is accidently left open, she especially does it on our daughters bed and the futon in our spare room. Around 6 months ago she began snapping at our daughter and our 4 year old nephew unprovoked. The kids have never harmed her or deem a threat to her in any way. Yesterday my daughter was sitting on the chair, her feet on the ottoman, and Maybelle wanted to jump up so she snapped at our daughters feet. We had a full blood panel done recently and her vet says she 100% healthy and beautiful but we can't understand why she is being so aggressive. Please help with any advice or experience!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Has anything changed in the household that could be causing her stress? New addition? Move? These guys can be sensitive so any little change can upset their behavior.

You said you took her to the vet so I am assuming UTI has been ruled out? Sometimes if they are in any kind of pain, that can trigger behavioral issues.

I wouldn't use a crate as a form of punishment. You can use for short time outs but if you start using a form of punishment, she might start to hate going in there and every time she goes in, she will think she is being punished.

I would basically start over with basic training. The Nothing in Life is Free technique can be helpful. It basically means that they have to earn everything (food, petting, attention, etc.) and they know that YOU are the alpha.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This is my first post and I'm still trying to understand the site so bare with me lol -- Our Maybelle turned 3 years old this month. We have had her since she was a teeny tiny baby and she was raised around our young children, ages 8, 8 and 4 (twin boys and a girl). She has always done very well with our family and we bring her on all family trips. Within the last year Maybelle decided to start urinating on our beds. After replacing them, we bought mattress covers and she still continues to when a door is accidently left open, she especially does it on our daughters bed and the futon in our spare room. Around 6 months ago she began snapping at our daughter and our 4 year old nephew unprovoked. The kids have never harmed her or deem a threat to her in any way. Yesterday my daughter was sitting on the chair, her feet on the ottoman, and Maybelle wanted to jump up so she snapped at our daughters feet. We had a full blood panel done recently and her vet says she 100% healthy and beautiful but we can't understand why she is being so aggressive. Please help with any advice or experience!

:welcome3: to EBN .... did they check her thyroid levels? She could be in some type of pain too, even if she cam back with good blood panel.. could she have arthritis starting, ear infection that might be too deep to see. How through of an exam did your vet do? the reason I ask is this happen with us and our then 8 year old Banks... she never in all her years put her teeth on us. we had noticed a couple of things off in her behavior, nothing overly drastic, but then one day.. she turned quickly and put her teeth on Daddy.. hard, no skin break, but I then at that moment knew something was not right with her. We did full blood plan, thyroid check and xrays. Blood and thyroid were perfect, but her belly was not. Unbeknown to us, she ate a two inch rock and it had been bouncing around her belly causing all kind of pain for a few weeks.

So, if her behavior is that off and you keep her inline with consistent training and positive reinforcement then she is in some level of pain... if no routine to her and inconsistent leadership, then she is just showing you she wants and needs leadership.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.