Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Louie is 5 months old and not really showing any signs of potty training. If I say let's go potty, he'll go downstairs so we can go outside. We frequently take him out and he gets treats and praise when he goes outside. But if we don't physically take him out, he will just go wherever in the house. He has no issues at night. Anytime he even goes near the gate at the top of the stairs, we take him out in case he is saying he needs to go.

I know he is still young but I'm wondering at what age everyone's bullies were fully potty trained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hey im in the same boat. If I don't think of it he'll go infront of one of the doors. At least he's towards a door lol. He sleeps with me as it's the only way I can sleep or he'll go in the middle of the night. When I get up between 5-6, he's still laying down like "dont bother me." It's all about timing. If I leave the house usually it's around 9am. He has pee n pooped 2x before 9am. I leave and come back for noon hes fine. If I come back 5hrs later he's pooped n peed in the kennel. So if I leave more than 5hrs I call some to let them out. I basically try to adjust my schedule with Duke's. After 6pm no more water except past week been 35cel! So I cant deprived him from drinking. So it's all about timing and mould them to our schedule.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hey im in the same boat. If I don't think of it he'll go infront of one of the doors. At least he's towards a door lol. He sleeps with me as it's the only way I can sleep or he'll go in the middle of the night. When I get up between 5-6, he's still laying down like "dont bother me." It's all about timing. If I leave the house usually it's around 9am. He has pee n pooped 2x before 9am. I leave and come back for noon hes fine. If I come back 5hrs later he's pooped n peed in the kennel. So if I leave more than 5hrs I call some to let them out. I basically try to adjust my schedule with Duke's. After 6pm no more water except past week been 35cel! So I cant deprived him from drinking. So it's all about timing and mould them to our schedule.

So yesterday morning he pooped in the house and I caught him at the very end and told him NO and he knew I was upset and I can tell he felt bad. Apparently later on that day when I went to the store, he went to the gate and was taken out and he pooped. So maybe he does know what he is supposed to do but just choosing to not always do it.

We got Jax when he was around 10 1/2 weeks and within 3 months of him home, he was trained. Louie came home at 11 weeks and it's been just over 2 months. So I am just being impatient...hahaha.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It takes a while for youngsters to get the hang of it. Having had alot of dogs-both purebred and non purebred,I found that EBD's took the longest to potty train.
They weren't too bad with the puppy pads(had a spell of chewing them up) but the last one was 10 months before I could do away completely with the pad,as she would use it quickly when in the middle of playing. Most of them did pretty well-then had a spell around 5mo. of having accidents.Remember They usually do everything in their "own sweet time":D Also when they are young,they can't hold it long-so by the time they ask-you gotta' make it quick! One day you will be surprised when you realize they are totally reliable!!!

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
It takes a while for youngsters to get the hang of it. Having had alot of dogs-both purebred and non purebred,I found that EBD's took the longest to potty train.
They weren't too bad with the puppy pads(had a spell of chewing them up) but the last one was 10 months before I could do away completely with the pad,as she would use it quickly when in the middle of playing. Most of them did pretty well-then had a spell around 5mo. of having accidents.Remember They usually do everything in their "own sweet time":D Also when they are young,they can't hold it long-so by the time they ask-you gotta' make it quick! One day you will be surprised when you realize they are totally reliable!!!

I think I just *feel* like he has been home for longer than 2 months. It feels like he's been there forever. I know Frenchies can be stubborn with potty training but thankfully Jax caught on fairly quickly. I was wondering if EB's had the same reputation. I am pretty good at knowing when he is going to need to poop. He gets taken out at least every hour if not more. And sometimes he will go by the gate so I told everyone if he ever goes anywhere near the gate, grab him and take him out. He has been able to hold it through the night since day one, no accidents except for when he had diarrhea. And he's never used the potty pads. I tried them a couple of times and all he did was shred them.

I know one day he will just fully "get it." It had been awhile since he had an accident and then yesterday he pooped in the house so he isn't really doing too bad.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
STINKER!!

Cheli and Lambeau were both like this... no indication of when they had to go. So, we just stick with a schedule for them and this way we are good. we luckily have no accidents from them in their crates when we are not home, but when home with them... we take them out every two hours.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
STINKER!!

Cheli and Lambeau were both like this... no indication of when they had to go. So, we just stick with a schedule for them and this way we are good. we luckily have no accidents from them in their crates when we are not home, but when home with them... we take them out every two hours.

For now, sticking to schedule and hopefully one day soon Louie will know what to do. It's weird cause sometimes he goes to the gate so not sure if it is deliberate or not. Jax always goes to the gate even when he has diarrhea so at least there's that.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I don't agree that bulldogs take longer than any other breed to potty train. They are very smart and want to please us. TAnk was quick to learn how to make it, after 5 months old ( we have him from 8 weeks old) we never had poop accidents, just 3 random peeIng accidents, something about marking, probably, he never did it lately anymore. 3 times he just looked in my eyes and weed into his own bed :D but not anymore.
But I must say that I was at home with him. I don't know what is your situation with work and time at home.
My tactics was (as we stayed in 21 floor apartment in China): first thing in the morning I grab him and carry him outside, where he does his business. Lots of appraisal and treats. After breakfast grab him again, literally not letting him walk from bowl, and carry him downstairs. Also, we had at home a plastic toilet with pee pads, where I put him every hour or so, asking him to make a wee and giving him treats and kudos. He never pooped there, though, but very soon he got the idea and came to n the toilet himself and made a pee.
The idea is to be very persistent, as puppies cannot keep in mind yet in this age when bladder or butt is full, that it's necessary to carry it outside. When they really need to go, they already NEED to go. It is often too late for them to think where to pee or poop. It just comes out. So, your job is to prevent accidents by often reminding them about toilet. May be a plastic toilet at home near door could be a helpful thing for now. But from my experience (I had 6 dogs in my life, 2 pure bred and 4 rescued), healthy puppy learns toilet skills in 2-3 months. Of course, it also depends on how much time you can afford to dedicate to training.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
For now, sticking to schedule and hopefully one day soon Louie will know what to do. It's weird cause sometimes he goes to the gate so not sure if it is deliberate or not. Jax always goes to the gate even when he has diarrhea so at least there's that.

I've been listening to 'other end of the leash' and one of the sections talks about potty training, something I forgot (why, I'm listening/reading this book again) and we did not do with Lambeau ... is to treat at the time of potty and not when you get back in the house. if not doing so, try that and see if it helps.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I've been listening to 'other end of the leash' and one of the sections talks about potty training, something I forgot (why, I'm listening/reading this book again) and we did not do with Lambeau ... is to treat at the time of potty and not when you get back in the house. if not doing so, try that and see if it helps.

He gets treats as soon as he goes and is told good boy/good potty. I think he "gets" the concept of outside means potty because when I say "let's go potty" he will start to go downstairs. And every now and then he will go to the gate, so I am hopeful it won't be *too* much longer.

And it's actually funny because any time Jax poops, I will say "who's a good boy" and he gets excited and prances back to the house and then goes and waits for a treat.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.