Help Needed! adopted English Bulldog lunging

Chrissy2288

Jun 24, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duncan
Hi, my husband and I adopted Duncan from a family that recently got divorced. We rescued him in the beginning of February, he is 6 years old. He is well behaved and was trained well. From the time we met him, he had a connection with my husband. My husband works from home so he is with 24/7. After having him about 3 weeks on occasion Duncan started acting aggressive towards me. He lunged at my face twice, once got me, his tooth went through my lip. It was bad, but healed up good. I'm able to read him and know when he is going to do this. Last week he lunged at me hit my leg (left a brush) and bit my nightgown. He's not like this towards me all the time, usually once or twice a week. I think he wants Kyle(my husband) all to himself. Duncan is a large English Bulldog, he 80#s and I'm a petite woman. I love him but he scares me at times. I was hoping someone with experience with this issue could give me some advice. His previous owner told us he has never been aggressive or bit anyone before, but is aggressive towards other dogs. When he meets other dogs he is a bully.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
wow! first welcome,,, and you have come to the right place for some real good support and advice... Busy days so hopefully someone will get with you real soon. I understand your concerns but have no advice... Nice of you to adopt that boy and now he needs to show his gratitude to the both of you is all i know.... hugs, and will be waiting to hear whats coming up for help :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ok... well I have a few questions. Is he neutered? Who handles his food and other needs? Do you have other pets or children in the home?

Sounds like he's testing the waters about who is in charge at your home... there is a technique that we recommend called nothing in life is free which does work on most dogs. Basically YOU are reminding him WHO is in charge of the home... that means YOU handling his food, snacks, grooming, etc... so he understands that YOU & hubby are the alpha dogs. He has to earn everything and that includes attention, food, etc... I understand being fearful but TRY not to let him see that, dogs will notice it and will use that power against you.

In the meantime you might want to consult a pet trainer to help w/his aggression issues towards you and other dogs. Some bulldogs are just naturally aggressive towards other dogs, but normally docile w/people. My male went thru a faze of attacking the hubby, but when we had him neutered his demeanor changed tremendously.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi, my husband and I adopted Duncan from a family that recently got divorced. We rescued him in the beginning of February, he is 6 years old. He is well behaved and was trained well. From the time we met him, he had a connection with my husband. My husband works from home so he is with 24/7. After having him about 3 weeks on occasion Duncan started acting aggressive towards me. He lunged at my face twice, once got me, his tooth went through my lip. It was bad, but healed up good. I'm able to read him and know when he is going to do this. Last week he lunged at me hit my leg (left a brush) and bit my nightgown. He's not like this towards me all the time, usually once or twice a week. I think he wants Kyle(my husband) all to himself. Duncan is a large English Bulldog, he 80#s and I'm a petite woman. I love him but he scares me at times. I was hoping someone with experience with this issue could give me some advice. His previous owner told us he has never been aggressive or bit anyone before, but is aggressive towards other dogs. When he meets other dogs he is a bully.

WELCOME!!! [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] said all you need to do. I know 80lb bully can be powerful especially if you're petite but NEVER NEVER allow any dog attack you! NEVER accept that!!!! You need like mentioned show who's alpha. I would definitely have a choker (not a collar) on him all times as if he lunges at you, much easier to grab the choker n put him to his place. Some panicks when you say choker on a bully but bullies have a neck like a bull. Nothing will happen health wise with a good yank to snap him out of his escalation.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Do not allow him on couch from now on when he is with you so that you are sitting above him. Follow the nothing in life is free as mentioned before, check this link for more details Dog Training: Nothing in Life is Free : The Humane Society of the United States
Keep a choke collar such as a Martingale collar on him at all times when you are with him, and pull on it if you sense danger. If he lunges at you, yell loud at him, and pretend to hit him around eye region to scare him ( don't quite hit him ) . Lock him in cage for a half hour after, take away all toys and basically ignore him rest of day.

WELCOME!!! [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] said all you need to do. I know 80lb bully can be powerful especially if you're petite but NEVER NEVER allow any dog attack you! NEVER accept that!!!! You need like mentioned show who's alpha. I would definitely have a choker (not a collar) on him all times as if he launches at you, much easier to grab the choker n put him to his place. Some panicks when you say choker on a bully but bullies have a neck like a bull. Nothing will happen health wise with a good yank to snap him out of his escalation.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Welcome to EBN and thank you for giving him a new home.

I would read up on 'nothing in life is free' as Brian suggested... you and hubby must both follow the same rules/limitations with Duncan so he knows you both are his boss and he gets nothing without working/responding to a command. You should feed him, walk him and especially do not let him on furniture without being invited. he is not sure where his leadership is coming from so he is creating it and trying to put you beneath him in line. This is all very fixable and he will fall in line as long as you both stay consistent and on the same page.

also, try not to feel fear or be hesitant with him... dogs sense this and will react to it

Good luck and please keep us posted

OP
C

Chrissy2288

Jun 24, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duncan
Thank you everyone for your advice. Duncan is Neutered. No kids. We have a sun conure (parrot) We both feed him and walk him, but my husband is with him all day when I'm at work. Duncan loves my husband and won't leave his side. I think sometimes Duncan guards him. Normally he is great with me, gives kisses, he comes to me for scratches.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.