Biting bully baby

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Gang has given great advice... stay consistent with him and make sure all the humans in the house are doing the same so he 'gets' it. It will end -- it is the 'shark' phase as other mentioned

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
When Tank was a baby, I was advised to stop this behaviour very decisively - when he does this, you flatten him on the floor, holding his neck, press gently but firmly, make him lie down and say NO BITING! This shows your dominance, shows him you are an alpha dog. If he still tries to go on, next step is taking him by this excessive skin on his neck and shaking a bit. This is how bully Momma punishes babies. But I may be needed this next step only once, usually presssing worked perfect.
Result is that Tank never nips me, I just tell him No biting and he obeys, but my hubby is his favourite chewing toy. Because bulldogs love to nip, and I don't know when it's gonna stop, but my Tank is 1,5 yo now, and still tries chewing people. But not his food, lol. Food he vacuums:D

[MENTION=17222]Chevysmom[/MENTION] this is exactly what you have to do as [MENTION=15780]Lalaloopsie[/MENTION] just mentioned. Your dog is not big enough to get out of pinning him down. One hand on the neck, one hand on thd hip side with a firm NO BITTING. Dont add words as you're going to confuse him. Just 2 words and hold him there for a good while till his body surrenders. Make sure "your" chest section is over his face as that shows a dog "you're the alpha!!"

OP
Chevysmom

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
Not sure its dominance quite yet, Bully's play hard, and Ellie gets "pawy" as we call it, she will do this after we have a play session and daddy is petting her butt and he stops, she will paw at him and try to climb his arm, so daddy ignores her "bad" behavior (gets up and walks away) - or gets a quick time out.

Playtime - I know its summer time, but are you able to take Chevy for short walks and burn some of his energy, refresh my memory, is he playing fetch?? Ellie loves playing it, but she does not give me the ball when she comes back, and I have chase her, and pry it from her mouth, and she still has toys that make her NUTTY, that she is only allowed to play with for a short time, like her Jolly Balls, look into them for Chevy, doggies go crazy for them

Does Chevy have all of his puppy shots yet?? As once he does, the best thing we did for Ellie, was AKC Puppy Kindergarten classes, they challenged Ellie mentally which also tired her out, and was time we got to spend together, and Ellie started learning her manners, coupled with her time out when she misbehaving, did her good

ok, hope I answered this well, have foggy brain...end of day, Must get sleep!! :)

Thanks for the advice yes he does play fetch but gets so growly and snappy when u take the ball he will go get it and bring it back but u then have to take it he is learning drop it now and he does good with some commands sit down paw stand he caught on to them immediately but no and no bite is proving to be the hardest and yes he has his shots got his last round yesterday I looked into puppy classes but I am in a small town in Ky and there r no trainers or classes close by the closes one was an hr away and it was four classes and almost 300 for those four classes and we take walks to burn energy and he does good for the most part except the biting but sometimes he will go completely crazy running and flopping allover the house and biting everything and every one in his path that's when he usually gets a10 min time out longer if he doest calm down

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks I will give this a try

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oswald does this too, and it is driving me and my boyfriend NUTS. My hands are covered in nip marks (I have sensitive skin). It's good to see from the advice that we are doing the right thing to train him and this is just a phase, though. I have been both holding him down gently by his neck/neck skin and telling him NO BITE, and putting him in time out if he continues. These seem to work a day at a time, and taking him for a walk immediately when I get home from work also seems to help burn off some energy. He is definitely teething, though. He also tends to calm down CONSIDERABLY if I sit on the couch with him and hold his bone for him while he chews it (voraciously!!!). That way he gets to chew something he is supposed to chew AND gets some time engaging with mommy (which is what he wants to begin with), so we both win.

I can't wait for this phase to be over!

Try dropping the word bite... and just use NO or ENOUGH. I'm re-reading a book and this is one of the things that jumped out at me in a recent section. it talks about how we think a dog can determine our meaning, but it is all sound related... so short single syllable words work best with them. Also used no bite as an example... you say NO, dog thinks 'uh-oh' then you say BITE... dog thinks- OK.. chump. listening to how she described this made total sense to me. give it a try and see if it helps.

Sep 3, 2012
Lawrence, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Dent
You're absolutely right. I will try this. Simpler is always better with puppies to start with. :)

He's a bright little dude, and learns fast... and even though I know bullies tend to be stubborn he listens to me more often than not I think mostly because he absolutely adores me so much. <3

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
You're absolutely right. I will try this. Simpler is always better with puppies to start with. :)

He's a bright little dude, and learns fast... and even though I know bullies tend to be stubborn he listens to me more often than not I think mostly because he absolutely adores me so much. <3

Exactly! :) I think this as well "because he adores me so much" ...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.