Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 38

Thread: What types of anxiety drugs have you used?

  1. #1
    Wrinkle Wiper mcardle3's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    122
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Custer, Maisie, Mosby and a cat who thinks he is a bulldog
    Likes (Received)
    183

    Default What types of anxiety drugs have you used?

    Our girl Maisie suffers from kennel syndrome.

    I've written, ad nauseum, before about her constant rushing back and forth in a low crawl looking for any avenue of escape from threats perceived or not.

    Our vet put her on a drug for three months now (starts with an "A" I am at work and having brain fog, can't remember it) a mild sedative to see how she does. She does the same. No change. If it is not working I do not feel spending more money and putting it into the poor, freaked out, girl is something we want to do.

    It matters not to dogs with kennel syndrome that the threat is not really there, to them, it is always there unless they are in a crate somewhere. We have thought to just let her live out her life in a crate (door open for free roam) if that makes her happier, but that still doesn't work when we have to go out, and we take our dogs with us rambling and roaming all the time.

    Someone has suggested cannabis oil for dogs. Anyone tried it? Does it help?

    Prozac, anyone?

    Whoever it was here who told me kennel syndrome dogs never get over it...amen, sister you are right. We recently moved the backstop behind our basketball net and it is leaning as in a V formation...Maisie now wants to either run under a large pine to pee or behind that fence. Once there, she will not come out until she is good and ready to. It hurts to see her so.
    "Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    -Dean Koontz


  2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  3. #2
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Posts
    4,358
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)
    3705

    Default Re: What types of anxiety drugs have you used?

    hi, and wow,,, how hard, how horrid!! It's the worst to watch anyone suffer and it takes its toll on us as well... I was told that they are having great success with the cannabis with animals and I would sure look into that!!! I was just about to try for my dogs seizures but she passed before I could... Bless your hearts and good luck.. Hope someone has some help...

  4. #3
    Rescue Volunteer MFrey2012's Avatar
    Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    1,859
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ellie
    Likes (Received)
    2505

    Default Re: What types of anxiety drugs have you used?

    Quote Originally Posted by mcardle3 View Post
    Our girl Maisie suffers from kennel syndrome.

    I've written, ad nauseum, before about her constant rushing back and forth in a low crawl looking for any avenue of escape from threats perceived or not.

    Our vet put her on a drug for three months now (starts with an "A" I am at work and having brain fog, can't remember it) a mild sedative to see how she does. She does the same. No change. If it is not working I do not feel spending more money and putting it into the poor, freaked out, girl is something we want to do.

    It matters not to dogs with kennel syndrome that the threat is not really there, to them, it is always there unless they are in a crate somewhere. We have thought to just let her live out her life in a crate (door open for free roam) if that makes her happier, but that still doesn't work when we have to go out, and we take our dogs with us rambling and roaming all the time.

    Someone has suggested cannabis oil for dogs. Anyone tried it? Does it help?

    Prozac, anyone?

    Whoever it was here who told me kennel syndrome dogs never get over it...amen, sister you are right. We recently moved the backstop behind our basketball net and it is leaning as in a V formation...Maisie now wants to either run under a large pine to pee or behind that fence. Once there, she will not come out until she is good and ready to. It hurts to see her so.
    I am so sorry to hear this, and might not be much help but, Maybe work with the Vet and see if there is something else that might work, as the Meds I think your baby is taking is called Acepromazine, which when I googled it is precribed for this but does not work for this situation, as it is for calming, not anxiety

    As I had researched the Acepromazine as Ellie was precribed it after her spay to keep her calm, so as to not run and play, not to be used for anxiety.

    Would there be any harm in letting her do as she needs with her crate?? Does she have accidents in the house??

    I wish the best for you and Maisey, Love her name by the way!!

    This is just my two cents...


    Thanks and much Love,

    Melissa - Ellie's Mom

  5. Likes 2BullyMama, B770QE, Texas Carol liked this post
  6. #4
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Manydogs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    12,400
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)
    9385

    Default Re: What types of anxiety drugs have you used?

    @mcardle3 I am so sorry to hear about poor Maisie(poor you...) One of our members, @brutus77 gives one of her dogs prozac, and said it changed his life completely for the better. She has not been here lately,but perhaps she will check in. I'm sure you have tried the various calming pheramone (sp) plug ins, and collars. Fortunately for me, I have not had experience with this affliction. I do hope someone else has some other suggestions for you.

    https://www.ahvma.org/sample-ahvma-journal-articles/
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

  7. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
  8. #5
    Wrinkle Wiper mcardle3's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    122
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Custer, Maisie, Mosby and a cat who thinks he is a bulldog
    Likes (Received)
    183

    Default Re: What types of anxiety drugs have you used?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
    hi, and wow,,, how hard, how horrid!! It's the worst to watch anyone suffer and it takes its toll on us as well... I was told that they are having great success with the cannabis with animals and I would sure look into that!!! I was just about to try for my dogs seizures but she passed before I could... Bless your hearts and good luck.. Hope someone has some help...
    My husband and I are at our wits end with this. To see something so frantic is beyond difficult. We had thought at one point we were seeing some improvement and boom...just like that, nothing. She sleeps most of the time (probably the drug) but if she is up...FRANTIC. She doesn't just stand to stand, or walk to walk. She is only up when moving from one safe place to the next. She LOVES LOVES LOVES walks outdoors. It is too hot now to do that so her only enjoyment is when she is out for shot times to pee. I wish cannabis was not so expensive, but next trip to the vet, I am going to ask the pros and cons for her. This drug is a waste and not helping, so why hurt her with it (side effects). It is a bummer to be sure.
    "Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    -Dean Koontz


  9. Likes 2BullyMama, B770QE, Texas Carol liked this post
  10. #6
    Wrinkle Wiper mcardle3's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    122
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Custer, Maisie, Mosby and a cat who thinks he is a bulldog
    Likes (Received)
    183

    Default Re: What types of anxiety drugs have you used?

    Quote Originally Posted by MFrey2012 View Post
    I am so sorry to hear this, and might not be much help but, Maybe work with the Vet and see if there is something else that might work, as the Meds I think your baby is taking is called Acepromazine, which when I googled it is precribed for this but does not work for this situation, as it is for calming, not anxiety

    As I had researched the Acepromazine as Ellie was precribed it after her spay to keep her calm, so as to not run and play, not to be used for anxiety.

    Would there be any harm in letting her do as she needs with her crate?? Does she have accidents in the house??

    I wish the best for you and Maisey, Love her name by the way!!

    This is just my two cents...
    She pretty much does as she pleases. I don't keep a crate out as I want her to be with us if she can. She has two beds she views as crates. When she comes in from a potty run, she low crawl runs right to one of those beds and stays there until the next potty break or bed time when she goes onto another bed. What a crappy life for her.

    My 10 year old grandson said Maisie rhymes with crazy...so it is fitting. Poor thing.
    "Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    -Dean Koontz


  11. Likes 2BullyMama, B770QE liked this post
  12. #7
    Wrinkle Wiper mcardle3's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    122
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Custer, Maisie, Mosby and a cat who thinks he is a bulldog
    Likes (Received)
    183

    Default Re: What types of anxiety drugs have you used?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    @mcardle3 I am so sorry to hear about poor Maisie(poor you...) One of our members, @brutus77 gives one of her dogs prozac, and said it changed his life completely for the better. She has not been here lately,but perhaps she will check in. I'm sure you have tried the various calming pheramone (sp) plug ins, and collars. Fortunately for me, I have not had experience with this affliction. I do hope someone else has some other suggestions for you.
    We had decided to add a puppy to our mix this fall. We now know we will as our 8 year old boy is a delightful mix of puppy and old man...lol. I want a puppy to be with him and see HIM as normal behavior...not poor Maisie. Then again, she was bred once so she may love having a puppy to mother.

    it is tough. I hurt watching her. I've never had any animal like this before. I think we will likely try the cannabis and then go to prozac if that doesn't work. We have tried every conceivable thing other than these two.
    "Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    -Dean Koontz


  13. Likes 2BullyMama, B770QE liked this post
  14. #8
    Rescue Volunteer MFrey2012's Avatar
    Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    1,859
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ellie
    Likes (Received)
    2505

    Default Re: What types of anxiety drugs have you used?

    Quote Originally Posted by mcardle3 View Post
    She pretty much does as she pleases. I don't keep a crate out as I want her to be with us if she can. She has two beds she views as crates. When she comes in from a potty run, she low crawl runs right to one of those beds and stays there until the next potty break or bed time when she goes onto another bed. What a crappy life for her.

    My 10 year old grandson said Maisie rhymes with crazy...so it is fitting. Poor thing.
    Awe - Poor Girl!!

    Not sure if it would be in the budget, but maybe a trainer could help you boost her self confidence to not be so scared of what frightens her, I know our trainer has helped us, Ellie is typically not afraid or scared of things, but this spring hubby got new work boots and put them on the shoe rack as he always done, well Ellie carried on as if those boots were public enemy number one. She would bark at them from the top of the stairs and would do low crouch walk by them, to the point she would not go to the door to be let out to potty and would potty in the house....moral of my rambling is, i reached out to our trainer, and she gave us tips on how to make the boots a good experience for Ellie, and to not have fear

    Ellie and I send our best


    Thanks and much Love,

    Melissa - Ellie's Mom

  15. #9
    Rescue Volunteer Lalaloopsie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Location
    Cape Town, SA
    Posts
    1,624
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)
    2688

    Default Re: What types of anxiety drugs have you used?

    Ask your vet about phenazepam or phenobarbital. May be light anxiolytics not strong enough for her. Ask for something more powerful. Don't lose hope, you need to find right medication. With sedatives it's much easier than with antidepressants, antidepressants take longer to see the action (usually 14 days) and they can cause exacerbation of anxiety in first days. But sedatives act quite fast, and, anyway, before starting AD, it's better first to make her calm and relaxed. I don't dismiss antidepressants, but I think you can start first with trying couple of more powerful sedatives, and if they don't work, try antidepressants. Also possible, that doctor have to combine AD and sedatives.
    And don't lose hope, once you find a right therapy, then after 3-6 months you can very gradually take her off meds and she will stay relaxed. Anxiety circuits in her brain can be broken, and during months of therapy her brain will learn to function normally and you can take her off meds (but not abruptly). I would ask for Valium or something of this kind.

  16. Likes TyTysmom, MFrey2012, Texas Carol liked this post
  17. #10
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,691
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1727

    Default Re: What types of anxiety drugs have you used?

    I don't know anything about kennel syndrome but side effect wise I'd recommend trying a modern antidepressant like sertraline or fluoxetine over a benzodiazepine like alprazolam which is addictive, or over a barbiturate like phenobarbital which in humans is not ever used in psychiatry, just for seizures, because it is so sedating. If the sertraline isn't working you can add a second antidepressant like trazodone to potentiate it, at the slight risk of seizures from serotonin syndrome.

  18. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  19. #11
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    9,747
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    11872

    Default Re: What types of anxiety drugs have you used?

    Quote Originally Posted by mcardle3 View Post
    We had decided to add a puppy to our mix this fall. We now know we will as our 8 year old boy is a delightful mix of puppy and old man...lol. I want a puppy to be with him and see HIM as normal behavior...not poor Maisie. Then again, she was bred once so she may love having a puppy to mother.

    it is tough. I hurt watching her. I've never had any animal like this before. I think we will likely try the cannabis and then go to prozac if that doesn't work. We have tried every conceivable thing other than these two.
    I would personally go cannabis. I know it's legal in a few of your states. Cant you buy it from there? Here in Canada it will be legal in a year. But you can buy it now for medical reason. A friend of mine had to do chemo but used cannabis. She said it helps her enormously.

  20. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
  21. #12
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    44,893
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    16081

    Default Re: What types of anxiety drugs have you used?

    Quote Originally Posted by mcardle3 View Post
    Our girl Maisie suffers from kennel syndrome.

    I've written, ad nauseum, before about her constant rushing back and forth in a low crawl looking for any avenue of escape from threats perceived or not.

    Our vet put her on a drug for three months now (starts with an "A" I am at work and having brain fog, can't remember it) a mild sedative to see how she does. She does the same. No change. If it is not working I do not feel spending more money and putting it into the poor, freaked out, girl is something we want to do.

    It matters not to dogs with kennel syndrome that the threat is not really there, to them, it is always there unless they are in a crate somewhere. We have thought to just let her live out her life in a crate (door open for free roam) if that makes her happier, but that still doesn't work when we have to go out, and we take our dogs with us rambling and roaming all the time.

    Someone has suggested cannabis oil for dogs. Anyone tried it? Does it help?

    Prozac, anyone?

    Whoever it was here who told me kennel syndrome dogs never get over it...amen, sister you are right. We recently moved the backstop behind our basketball net and it is leaning as in a V formation...Maisie now wants to either run under a large pine to pee or behind that fence. Once there, she will not come out until she is good and ready to. It hurts to see her so.
    @Libra926 @brutus77 Both have bullies on prozac.

    My girl HATED car rides so we had Xanax for when we had to take her places... half pill 20 mins before--- it relaxed her enough to get her where we needed to go. We once drove to Chicago (14 hours)... we did a full pill and she was totally relaxed not sleeping but no trembling or frantic trying to hide under the dashboard, she laid nicely and when we did potty stops(every 3 hours). She was fine in walk and doing her business


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  22. Likes B770QE, Texas Carol liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •