What types of anxiety drugs have you used?

OP
mcardle3

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Custer, Maisie, Mosby and a cat who thinks he is a bulldog
I would personally go cannabis. I know it's legal in a few of your states. Cant you buy it from there? Here in Canada it will be legal in a year. But you can buy it now for medical reason. A friend of mine had to do chemo but used cannabis. She said it helps her enormously.

It is quite expensive and yes, we can get it. Fortunately a friend who used it for her dog and no longer does, has some for us to try first.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am so glad that worked for you.

I've read that prozac sometimes makes it worse for a while from several dog owners, but we are to the point, we are going to try whatever it takes to get her better.

Hopefully, Cheryl or Rosalie will respond with their insights on Prozac... I have never used that one.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
It is quite expensive and yes, we can get it. Fortunately a friend who used it for her dog and no longer does, has some for us to try first.

Better than chemicals. But that's my opinion.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I have such an issue with ritalin and prozac. When i first started working in schools I had a family of 3 children. 5, 7, 10. As god is my witness, all 3 ended up taking ritalin. It pis*es me off so much even to this day when I see doctors prescrib that like candies. Too damm lazy to go that extra step see what or how they can help and work more the parents. Ive seen teachers that refused to work with the child. These 3 kids would come into the office in line pop a pill. They couldn't even hold their little glass of water was they were so drugged up. Parents and even adults are pushed taking drugs way too fast. Ever see a farm kid on meds? Probably not cause they have tons of chores out there waiting for them. They burn energy and n dont have time for TV. Ok ok im off the subject or I wont stop. Lollll

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would try the prozac or sertraline first. Prozac and other antidepressants have helped a lot of dogs, are cheaper, and readily available everywhere. In addition there isn't enough safety and efficacy studies done yet in dogs, and we know children who smoke cannabis have been shown to lose IQ and develop an increased risk of schizophrenia.

I have such an issue with ritalin and prozac. When i first started working in schools I had a family of 3 children. 5, 7, 10. As god is my witness, all 3 ended up taking ritalin. It pis*es me off so much even to this day when I see doctors prescrib that like candies. Too damm lazy to go that extra step see what or how they can help and work more the parents. Ive seen teachers that refused to work with the child. These 3 kids would come into the office in line pop a pill. They couldn't even hold their little glass of water was they were so drugged up. Parents and even adults are pushed taking drugs way too fast. Ever see a farm kid on meds? Probably not cause they have tons of chores out there waiting for them. They burn energy and n dont have time for TV. Ok ok im off the subject or I wont stop. Lollll

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I would try the prozac or sertraline first. Prozac and other antidepressants have helped a lot of dogs, are cheaper, and readily available everywhere. In addition there isn't enough safety and efficacy studies done yet people that and we know children who smoke cannabis have been shown to lose IQ and develop an increased risk of schizophrenia.

Im so not a believer in so call studies unless its in cement. If they can say its "a proven fact" and has years to back it up, im all for it. Way too many studies that contradict themselves and ends up false. Im just one of them. i know a lot of people back when that smoked and absolutely nothing wrong with them today. Actually, most are all successful. I would worry more about the chemicals in pills that pharmaceutical companies have out there on the market. Just their commercials on tv and listening to their side effects would scares anyone taking any meds. Yes sometimes you have no choice but my first choice would be cannabis if i had to pick. My 2 cents.

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
You may try in addition to the above a Thunder Vest, I had adopted a breeder that had been dumped and she was scared of everything when outside her crate. The shirt did seem to give her some relief. I put it our bed a few days before trying it on her just to get our scent on it, then set it out with a treat next to it so she could get familiar with it. It didn't solve the issue but seemed to help.

OP
mcardle3

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
We've tried one. We are getting to where we must do something or she is going to hurt herself.

Today, she was up at 4 a.m. due to the storm. Not scared of it, it awakened her. I took her outside, and she saw the rain and decided she had a shy bladder...a no go. She woke me up to go! So I knew she'd pee in the room if I took her back without her going. I put her in the laundry room on a nice thick bedding pad. THIS upset in her routine has he shaking and scared to come out from behind the coffee table.

She is running into the doors and walls when panicked again. This is awful to watch and frustrating. Hopefully when I get home she will have settled down.

You may try in addition to the above a Thunder Vest, I had adopted a breeder that had been dumped and she was scared of everything when outside her crate. The shirt did seem to give her some relief. I put it our bed a few days before trying it on her just to get our scent on it, then set it out with a treat next to it so she could get familiar with it. It didn't solve the issue but seemed to help.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We've tried one. We are getting to where we must do something or she is going to hurt herself.

Today, she was up at 4 a.m. due to the storm. Not scared of it, it awakened her. I took her outside, and she saw the rain and decided she had a shy bladder...a no go. She woke me up to go! So I knew she'd pee in the room if I took her back without her going. I put her in the laundry room on a nice thick bedding pad. THIS upset in her routine has he shaking and scared to come out from behind the coffee table.

She is running into the doors and walls when panicked again. This is awful to watch and frustrating. Hopefully when I get home she will have settled down.

:( this is all sudden with her or slowly building

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mcardle3

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
:( this is all sudden with her or slowly building

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been this day since we walked into our house with her. Get this. Fireworks...thunder, the boom of the dirt sifter on the farm across the road, no problem. She lifts her head to acknowledge them, but no fear.

Anxiety out the ying yang with any change in routine, or in the house. Today I blocked where she likes to go to hide, to make her have to face being out with us a bit. She paced for (no exaggeration) 15-20 minutes frantically until she decided one of the dog beds would do.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Been this day since we walked into our house with her. Get this. Fireworks...thunder, the boom of the dirt sifter on the farm across the road, no problem. She lifts her head to acknowledge them, but no fear.

Anxiety out the ying yang with any change in routine, or in the house. Today I blocked where she likes to go to hide, to make her have to face being out with us a bit. She paced for (no exaggeration) 15-20 minutes frantically until she decided one of the dog beds would do.

It is the bulldog OCD... can be very hard to watch sometimes. Sorry if this was asked, but can you get this on video and have you had her evaluated for any neurological issues? [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Long story short. I was asked to chaperone around 25 middle schoolers at Church Friday night until Saturday noon. I told the lady over it that she has to be might desperate. She was. She said bring a sleeping bag. I said honey I havenā€™t had a sleeping bag in 40 years. She said wow Iā€™m 32 years old.
Weesie and friends planned going to the high school football game. Before she got home Emmitt saw me packing a bag and goes into the Rogan hyperventilating. Iā€™m freaking. She gave him a pain pill and he calmed down. Weesie didnā€™t go to game. And the kids are still alive.
My working at home has not helped me with Emmitt. I bought Weesie and myself tickets for an Eggfest close to Chattanooga Saturday. About 2 1/2 Hours one way. We were probably going to stay 3-4 hours and back home. Gone 8-10 hours max.
Heehee. Back to long story short. Reading the post 2017 above do I ask the vet for a Valium or we know Hydrocodone 5mg works. We plan to take him to Hilton Head next month. We donā€™t need Prozac or a managed everyday pill. Just over a short period. We are still trying to reel in Rogans death. What should I ask the vet to prescribe? Should Weesie and I go to the Eggfest in Chattanooga? I want to get 5-6 pills for in case of down the road. Suggestions

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Long story short. I was asked to chaperone around 25 middle schoolers at Church Friday night until Saturday noon. I told the lady over it that she has to be might desperate. She was. She said bring a sleeping bag. I said honey I havenā€™t had a sleeping bag in 40 years. She said wow Iā€™m 32 years old.
Weesie and friends planned going to the high school football game. Before she got home Emmitt saw me packing a bag and goes into the Rogan hyperventilating. Iā€™m freaking. She gave him a pain pill and he calmed down. Weesie didnā€™t go to game. And the kids are still alive.
My working at home has not helped me with Emmitt. I bought Weesie and myself tickets for an Eggfest close to Chattanooga Saturday. About 2 1/2 Hours one way. We were probably going to stay 3-4 hours and back home. Gone 8-10 hours max.
Heehee. Back to long story short. Reading the post 2017 above do I ask the vet for a Valium or we know Hydrocodone 5mg works. We plan to take him to Hilton Head next month. We donā€™t need Prozac or a managed everyday pill. Just over a short period. We are still trying to reel in Rogans death. What should I ask the vet to prescribe? Should Weesie and I go to the Eggfest in Chattanooga? I want to get 5-6 pills for in case of down the road. Suggestions

I have no experience or knowledge of such medication, but reading about your trip to the Eggfest (btw, had no idea what that is, so googled and it seems to be a grill party thing?!). If you are not taking Emmitt, can someone Emmitt knows well come and stay with him while you're away? Or would that make him more upset than being on his own? Regarding medication, I would not like to give something to my dog and not be round to see how he reacts.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

She gave him a pain pill ??? What on earth did she give ? You do what you want but hell I sure wouldnā€™t give any pills to neither of my dogs. Duke had anxiety and the only thing that calms down a dog with anxiety is to burn their energy. Pills is a ā€œcop outā€. You never give Prozac or any crap like so to a dog. You need to get out n walk or exercise your dog. This is why your dog is like that n why you both canā€™t get over Roganā€™s death. You will never but you sure can move on as life continues. Or have him babysit with someone he knows well to get his mind elsewhere.

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
If you heard Rogan and then Emmitt you would ā€œcop outā€. Hyperventilating in a dog is what killed Rogan. It built up fluid in his lung carrying over to his heart. He became so bad so fast had you been in our shoes you would had given Emmitt the best you have to calm him down. Take a walk? Helene had I had you wealth of knowledge I would write a series of books. Iā€™m sure you already have. Donā€™t speak down to someone until you have walked in their shoes. I questioned the group for support. Never again.

Members online

No members online now.