Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What types of anxiety drugs have you used?

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Custer, Maisie, Mosby and a cat who thinks he is a bulldog
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What types of anxiety drugs have you used?

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    this is all sudden with her or slowly building

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Been this day since we walked into our house with her. Get this. Fireworks...thunder, the boom of the dirt sifter on the farm across the road, no problem. She lifts her head to acknowledge them, but no fear.

Anxiety out the ying yang with any change in routine, or in the house. Today I blocked where she likes to go to hide, to make her have to face being out with us a bit. She paced for (no exaggeration) 15-20 minutes frantically until she decided one of the dog beds would do.
    "Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    -Dean Koontz

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mcardle3 View Post
    Been this day since we walked into our house with her. Get this. Fireworks...thunder, the boom of the dirt sifter on the farm across the road, no problem. She lifts her head to acknowledge them, but no fear.

Anxiety out the ying yang with any change in routine, or in the house. Today I blocked where she likes to go to hide, to make her have to face being out with us a bit. She paced for (no exaggeration) 15-20 minutes frantically until she decided one of the dog beds would do.

It is the bulldog OCD... can be very hard to watch sometimes. Sorry if this was asked, but can you get this on video and have you had her evaluated for any neurological issues? @Libra926
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member RalphieBoy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emmitt
    Likes (Received)

Long story short. I was asked to chaperone around 25 middle schoolers at Church Friday night until Saturday noon. I told the lady over it that she has to be might desperate. She was. She said bring a sleeping bag. I said honey I haven’t had a sleeping bag in 40 years. She said wow I’m 32 years old.
    Weesie and friends planned going to the high school football game. Before she got home Emmitt saw me packing a bag and goes into the Rogan hyperventilating. I’m freaking. She gave him a pain pill and he calmed down. Weesie didn’t go to game. And the kids are still alive.
    My working at home has not helped me with Emmitt. I bought Weesie and myself tickets for an Eggfest close to Chattanooga Saturday. About 2 1/2 Hours one way. We were probably going to stay 3-4 hours and back home. Gone 8-10 hours max.
    Heehee. Back to long story short. Reading the post 2017 above do I ask the vet for a Valium or we know Hydrocodone 5mg works. We plan to take him to Hilton Head next month. We don’t need Prozac or a managed everyday pill. Just over a short period. We are still trying to reel in Rogans death. What should I ask the vet to prescribe? Should Weesie and I go to the Eggfest in Chattanooga? I want to get 5-6 pills for in case of down the road. Suggestions

4. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RalphieBoy View Post
    Long story short. I was asked to chaperone around 25 middle schoolers at Church Friday night until Saturday noon. I told the lady over it that she has to be might desperate. She was. She said bring a sleeping bag. I said honey I haven’t had a sleeping bag in 40 years. She said wow I’m 32 years old.
    Weesie and friends planned going to the high school football game. Before she got home Emmitt saw me packing a bag and goes into the Rogan hyperventilating. I’m freaking. She gave him a pain pill and he calmed down. Weesie didn’t go to game. And the kids are still alive.
    My working at home has not helped me with Emmitt. I bought Weesie and myself tickets for an Eggfest close to Chattanooga Saturday. About 2 1/2 Hours one way. We were probably going to stay 3-4 hours and back home. Gone 8-10 hours max.
    Heehee. Back to long story short. Reading the post 2017 above do I ask the vet for a Valium or we know Hydrocodone 5mg works. We plan to take him to Hilton Head next month. We don’t need Prozac or a managed everyday pill. Just over a short period. We are still trying to reel in Rogans death. What should I ask the vet to prescribe? Should Weesie and I go to the Eggfest in Chattanooga? I want to get 5-6 pills for in case of down the road. Suggestions
    I have no experience or knowledge of such medication, but reading about your trip to the Eggfest (btw, had no idea what that is, so googled and it seems to be a grill party thing?!). If you are not taking Emmitt, can someone Emmitt knows well come and stay with him while you're away? Or would that make him more upset than being on his own? Regarding medication, I would not like to give something to my dog and not be round to see how he reacts.

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

6. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

She gave him a pain pill ??? What on earth did she give ? You do what you want but hell I sure wouldn’t give any pills to neither of my dogs. Duke had anxiety and the only thing that calms down a dog with anxiety is to burn their energy. Pills is a “cop out”. You never give Prozac or any crap like so to a dog. You need to get out n walk or exercise your dog. This is why your dog is like that n why you both can’t get over Rogan’s death. You will never but you sure can move on as life continues. Or have him babysit with someone he knows well to get his mind elsewhere.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emmitt
    Likes (Received)

If you heard Rogan and then Emmitt you would “cop out”. Hyperventilating in a dog is what killed Rogan. It built up fluid in his lung carrying over to his heart. He became so bad so fast had you been in our shoes you would had given Emmitt the best you have to calm him down. Take a walk? Helene had I had you wealth of knowledge I would write a series of books. I’m sure you already have. Don’t speak down to someone until you have walked in their shoes. I questioned the group for support. Never again.

9. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

If you heard Rogan and then Emmitt you would “cop out”. Hyperventilating in a dog is what killed Rogan. It built up fluid in his lung carrying over to his heart. He became so bad so fast had you been in our shoes you would had given Emmitt the best you have to calm him down. Take a walk? Helene had I had you wealth of knowledge I would write a series of books. I’m sure you already have. Don’t speak down to someone until you have walked in their shoes. I questioned the group for support. Never again.
    Oh no no, it probably came out wrong or misread as I wasn’t putting you or anyone down. I recently lost Duke, trust me I did walk your shoes. Exact same way as I had to go to this 24/7 emergency clinic n this un-experience flat nose vet which re-entered the breathing tube back in his throat n Duke wasn’t fully sedated. He basically fought the tube n he ended up ripping his airway. I regret everyday bringing him to that clinic. Duke was a very hyper bully as most knows. When I said cop out what I was trying to say is what worked with Duke is burn his energy. Vets tends to give pills and/or won’t suggest other options. I was trying to give you another option before trying pills or have him babysat with someone he knows. Winters In Canada are bad so I can’t walk my dogs every single day. example... What I do in our winters I burn their energy in the backyard. I will throw them their balls, toys, and use their “chuck it” which are fantastic to make them run or I even trot with them. I do understand some owners can’t do all that either. One of my neighbors is in her 70’s and can’t do all that so I recently found out she hired a person that walks dogs. Which is perfect for her. so what I’m trying to say, dogs just like humans if you burn energy in any “which way “ you will see a big difference. But at the end of the day, it’s your dog n you do what you have to do. This site is to help n give suggestions, ideas and what members did that worked for their dogs. Just like what I suggested burning energy before giving pills. As it does work. Again sorry for the misunderstanding as most knows I’m so not for pills but more on the holistic side.

11. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member Annie1991's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Punk'N
    Likes (Received)

Please don't give up on the group. We are here to support and listen. I too do pills when it is needed. Right now my mixed Missy is dying from congestive heart failure and is on 3 meds. Stay with us, we do understand and will support you in whatever you do.

13. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Yes, @Annie1991 is correct, we are all here to support everyone. I’ve been in your shoes..... But when I read someone gave pain pills to a dog that’s not from a vet, I worry. Don’t get me wrong this is for any dog not just yours. Giving pain meds to “any” dog can backfire. Can work on one dog but not the other. Why it’s very important any dog that takes or try’s pain pills, sees a vet for guidance.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

EASY... we are here for support!! Absolutely

Talk with the vet and explain exactly as you did here, they know your situation and recent loss. Xanax may work... I use to give that to Banks for long car rides as she hated the car and would became riddled in anxiety, panting for hours. The Xanax calmed her to where the pants were limited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

16. Likes helsonwheels, cefe13, Cbrugs liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)

You can also give Trazodone to help calm him down and take the edge off. I don't know if this has been discussed with you or not but CBD oil may be worth a try as well to help with anxiety.

18. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emmitt
    Likes (Received)

Okay things has settled. I got a little upset and I am sorry. Rogan death is no different than any other dog. It’s just Weesie and I are not coped with this the first or second time knowing our vet is closed on a weekend and it’s 40 miles away to a emergency hospital. The hydrocodone Weesie gave Emmitt was prescribed by the vet for Emmitt. That’s all we had.
    I spoke to the vet yesterday. I just picked up Trazodone (SED) 100mg. She said let’s try this and see how he reacts. Our daughter will be here Friday night so I think we are on the right track. I apologize to “Everyone” and thank you

20. Likes Cbrugs, 2BullyMama, cefe13, helsonwheels liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads