Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B770QE

Feb 7, 2016
California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Good article. Very timely for me too since we've begun the search for a second bulldog. Hopefully we can prevent fights before they start when we get the second one. Thanks for posting!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Love it... 'nothing in life is free' has always been my go to for getting a new house mate to settle in

Yes, I thought of you when reading it and it is a very valuable tool!

We tried ALL the suggestions with our two bitches (and you may take that word any way you like!) and nothing worked. We removed the triggers, treated one as alpha then when that didn't work tried it with the other, the nothing in life is free, took them to boot camp for obedience training and then to Lincoln University to their animal behaviour dept. We would go a couple of months at a time in peace then one must have looked at the other the wrong way, and they were off. The only good thing was they were both well trained until they fought, then they went deaf. They were never, ever, aggressive with us or other dogs and we loved them both dearly. It killed us to have to give one up but they hated each other, pure and simple.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I always had males. Over a week ago Nyala got this new toy bone you fill up with water n freeze it ( to cool them down). She was making Duke run after her n the little squirt like Grover in Sesame Street. Then Duke nabbed the toy and Nyala got pissed. Grabbed Duke like a rag and tossed him right in front of me. Pffffft, boy did she get one on the ***. She turns around growls at me so she got 2. Raised my voice and she took off fast. First time but now she knows she's not the alpha of the house. Like you said, females sure stirs the pot.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I'm in a similar situation now. I had a 7 yr old french bulldog and just got a 2 yr old English Bulldog, both female. Most of the time they get along, but when something sets them off they go all feral and ferociously start biting each other. I've had to patch them up numerous times, especially the older frenchie. Instances that set them off include fighting over a toy, seeing another dog during a walk, being pet by a stranger. The younger newer English bulldog seems to be the aggressor, just like the article stated. I've been really tough on the English bulldog,so she won't think she's the alpha,but may have to rehome her if she keeps fighting.

Yes, I thought of you when reading it and it is a very valuable tool!

We tried ALL the suggestions with our two bitches (and you may take that word any way you like!) and nothing worked. We removed the triggers, treated one as alpha then when that didn't work tried it with the other, the nothing in life is free, took them to boot camp for obedience training and then to Lincoln University to their animal behaviour dept. We would go a couple of months at a time in peace then one must have looked at the other the wrong way, and they were off. The only good thing was they were both well trained until they fought, then they went deaf. They were never, ever, aggressive with us or other dogs and we loved them both dearly. It killed us to have to give one up but they hated each other, pure and simple.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I am sorry you are going through this. It really is awful. I wish I had some advice for you.
We were spending way too much time at the emergency room and the elder girl, our greyhound, was getting the worst of it. Our other dog would have killed her in the end as she was the stronger of the two by far (an American Bulldog). We had the AB since she was 8 weeks old and she grew up with the greyhound but once she turned two, all hell broke loose.

Karen100

Apr 14, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie,Taylor,Gatsby
Great article. This dicribes my problem with my 2 girls exactly. I now keep them in different parts of the house. It's a little more work but we love them all .

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Love it... 'nothing in life is free' has always been my go to for getting a new house mate to settle in

I went back and read the "Nothing in life is free" and need to really work that in with Louie. He is a maniac when it comes to feeding time and will knock the bowl right out of your hand or try to dive right in. So last night it took about 5 or 6 times of making him sit before the bowl went down and he did much better.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I went back and read the "Nothing in life is free" and need to really work that in with Louie. He is a maniac when it comes to feeding time and will knock the bowl right out of your hand or try to dive right in. So last night it took about 5 or 6 times of making him sit before the bowl went down and he did much better.

Here is Lambeau... i think he is 10 or 12 weeks here

https://youtu.be/Mqm4KTRSgM0

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

WHAT!!! Louie literally dives into his bowl. I had to stop putting water into his bowl because he would just spill it everywhere and he was using Jax's water bowl anyways. I am confident after a few days of really making him wait until he sits without getting up will be a huge improvement. I just have to makes sure everyone else makes him wait too!

K9ldy

May 21, 2017
TN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OZZIE

Wow, that is impressive! Ozzie inhales his food. Did you start with" stay" first with no food? When Ozzie sees food he goes into the Zone. He sees nothing, hears nothing, food is all and everything else is gone.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.