Can i admit to being overwhelmed?

Pugaboo

Apr 6, 2017
Georgia
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Josephine
Josephine is 14 weeks old. She is adorable and overwhelming. I have done this 5 times with pugs, she is my first EB puppy. What am I doing wrong? Is she a normal EB puppy? Will she EVER calm down?

I am having a few issues in training and integrating Josephine into the family.

1) She plays too rough with the Pugs. She grabs their back legs and bites and drags them around. She bites their faces and with bulging eyes and flat faces I am terrified of eye damage. I have tried No Bite... she stops for a split second then goes right back at it. I have tried distraction but biting the Pugs is the best fun to her. I have tried separation but then she's right back at it. I have tried time out and it's right back at it as soon as she is out. I have had to start keeping her on a leash whenever they are all in one room together. I even tried something I have never done before, a spray bottle with water.. she doesn't care for it but it doesn't stop her from chomping down either. Tonight I gave in and ordered a bottle of bitter apple spray. I have never used it before but I am hoping I can put some on the Pugs back legs and she will stop the biting and dragging. I feel like a failure and I don't know what to do to direct her towards positive actions and away from hurtful ones.

2) She is VERY energetic and hyper. I expected lots of energy and take her out in the yard early in the morning and late evening, it's too hot during the day. The problem is that when She gets tired she gets bitey and really really wound up. She can't seem to give in and go to sleep. I have tried holding her, rocking her, introducing quiet chew toys on my lap, etc. but she tugs, jumps, bites, cries, fusses, etc until she seems to just pass out. She wore ME out this evening and I had to resort to putting her in her kennel during the day, normally she only goes in her kennel to sleep at night. During the day she goes into a playpen for quiet time, time out, etc, basically any time I can't be EYES ON she goes in her play pen so she can't hurt herself, anyone else, or the house. Today she just screeched and flung herself against the playpen walls and basically walked the playpen across the floor. I have tried awake and playing for 2 hours then into the playpen for quiet time or sleeping, the back out for 2 hours, etc, but today that DID NOT WORK. What can I do to help her relax and go to sleep when she is tired... is she normal for an EB puppy? Is there a secret schedule that works for EB puppies?

3) When allowed on the bed why does she do tiny little tinkle spots? Nothing major just a tiny amount and she does this even if she has been outside just 1 minute before. Is she marking territory? Should I have her checked for a UTI? We have had to resort to no bed time at all, which is sad as her Daddy is disabled and spends a lot of time in the bed.

I will be the first to admit it... I need some advice. Anyone?

Terry

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Oh Terry....you are NOT a failure!!!!! She's a normal healthy puppy. I just got another one Duke and he sure doesn't stop either. Nyala is also energetic so why I took this little squirt. But at times is like having 2 toddlers. Do dont despair. Keep putting her in the kennel if you're overwhelmed. She cant chew n drag the pugs either but if the pugs arent playful, she will want to play with them. She needs to move to spend her energy. At 14 weeks she should be sleeping in her kennel n not allow on the bed especially if she tinkles. She's old enough to start telling her a firm NO! If she grabs the pugs n hurts them grab her flappy cheeks and say NO. Duke also has a play pen I tie wrap it around the leg of tne kitchen table so if he jumps on it, it doesn't move.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
This is my first English Bulldog Puppy. I thought she would never calm down and stop biting so hard.
Luckily she did!! She also was really rough with us and our other dogs, we were just lucky they were all way bigger than she was. She was like 10 lbs and I have a 115 lb that she loved and still loves to play with. Luckily he is so good with her. Although she did make him yelp a few times when she got his ear or jowl.
She is now 6 months old but really stopped that hard biting by around 4 months old.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
As others have stated, this stage will NOT last forever... thank goodness!!!

I have had 4 bulldogs, and I have to say my youngest one Willow is the MOST energetic of the bunch. Stay consistent w/the time outs, if she's attacking the pugs then she is NOT allowed to play w/them and put her in her pen. Sounds like she is using their back legs to teeth on, make sure to have nylabones or antlers for her to chew on. When mine would get into shark mode I would give them a firm NO and put them in the pen for a short time out. Eventually she will get the hint that she has to behave to stay w/her pack.

Try short sessions w/just her to wear her out... play catch, or tug-of-war, etc... she may just be bored so it's not to early to start w/some puppy training. Mental exhaustion will wear some dogs out faster than trying to physically wear them out. If she has had all her shots, I would take her to a local puppy kindergarten... that is a great place for her to play w/other puppies and learn early commands.

I think the tinkling is probably excitement, many bulldogs just dribble when they are playing. Maybe put down a puppy pad on the bed for a visit w/daddy, but be on watch many pups like to eat the pad.

Oh and we would LOVE to see a pic of you new baby!!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Oh this sounds so familiar! I have a 12 week old bulldog and a 4 year old Frenchie. And the same exact thing goes on in my house. Louie, the bulldog, will bite Jax's jowls and neck and legs and everything else. Jax will play with him but when he starts the biting, Jax will correct him. But he only stops for like two seconds and is right back at it. When it starts to get too crazy, Louie goes into the crate for a timeout.

And he has sooo much energy and like yours, gets even crazier when he is tired. So he goes into the crate and he will usually fall asleep.

It will get better! They are in the puppy phase and as they grow older, the biting will stop. Just be consistent with the NO and use timeouts when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
Those little teeth are like razor blades..ouch. Most EBD puppies are rough players, they play rough with their litter mates and expect everyone else to play like that too..sigh. In addition to the antlers you may try raw marrow bones, that is if she's not allergic to beef. Buy a pack in the frozen section at your grocery store and give them to her frozen. They'll feel good on her teething gums and BONUS, keep her busy for a long time.

You may may also try the compressed canned air when she's exhibiting behavior that's unacceptable. They don't like the noise it makes and worked better for us than the water spray. Just having it in sight tends to discourage the naughty.

OP
P

Pugaboo

Apr 6, 2017
Georgia
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Josephine
I tried a couple new things today.

Josephine went for her very first walk outside of the yard. I haven't taken her out of the yard because she hasn't had all of her shots yet and the vet suggested keeping her away from strange animals until she has had them. I was very careful and kept away from 1 dog, 3 bunnies, a squirrel, and a bird, though I don't think the bird was a danger since it was in a bush but Josie still thought she could jump high enough to eat it. I only walked her to the corner but she seemed to have a good time exploring. I took her for a walk early in the morning around 7am and then for another walk at 6pm. I was worried it was a little too warm for the evening walk but she did really well hardly panted at all and she RAN up the driveway on the way home she was so happy. She seemed much calmer after the walks and when she ran up to Callie she simply gave her a kiss rather than trying to remove her face. She then bumped Dora and did a little happy dance but didn't roll her over and sit on her before chomping down on her leg.

The second thing I tried was if one of the Pugs taunted HER, they went into timeout, if she picked on them SHE went into timeout. I will keep this up until they all come to understand they must get along and if they play nicely they can be together. It means playing the shuffle game at times with one getting put in the playpen with one hand and another one being scooted out with the other hand. I was able to let her off the leash for a couple hours to play and explore while the Pugs took naps in the playpen. We were all together yet separate enough for peace to rein.

She was MUCH calmer today.... like a whole new puppy. It might just be a good day and tomorrow the "monster", my husbands nickname for her, will make an appearance but I will take 1 good day and build on that. She was very affectionate and gave me lots of kisses and let me cuddle her and she didn't even try to bite Daddy. If walking her everyday will keep this calmer happier puppy around I will walk her 10 times a day! That's how big of a change today was, like a miracle.

I'll keep you posted on how things go!

Terry

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

Josephine went for her very first walk outside of the yard. I haven't taken her out of the yard because she hasn't had all of her shots yet and the vet suggested keeping her away from strange animals until she has had them. I was very careful and kept away from 1 dog, 3 bunnies, a squirrel, and a bird, though I don't think the bird was a danger since it was in a bush but Josie still thought she could jump high enough to eat it. I only walked her to the corner but she seemed to have a good time exploring. I took her for a walk early in the morning around 7am and then for another walk at 6pm. I was worried it was a little too warm for the evening walk but she did really well hardly panted at all and she RAN up the driveway on the way home she was so happy. She seemed much calmer after the walks and when she ran up to Callie she simply gave her a kiss rather than trying to remove her face. She then bumped Dora and did a little happy dance but didn't roll her over and sit on her before chomping down on her leg.

The second thing I tried was if one of the Pugs taunted HER, they went into timeout, if she picked on them SHE went into timeout. I will keep this up until they all come to understand they must get along and if they play nicely they can be together. It means playing the shuffle game at times with one getting put in the playpen with one hand and another one being scooted out with the other hand. I was able to let her off the leash for a couple hours to play and explore while the Pugs took naps in the playpen. We were all together yet separate enough for peace to rein.

She was MUCH calmer today.... like a whole new puppy. It might just be a good day and tomorrow the "monster", my husbands nickname for her, will make an appearance but I will take 1 good day and build on that. She was very affectionate and gave me lots of kisses and let me cuddle her and she didn't even try to bite Daddy. If walking her everyday will keep this calmer happier puppy around I will walk her 10 times a day! That's how big of a change today was, like a miracle.

Terry

That's awesome! I should try that too with Louie and maybe he won't harass Jax as much.

I call Louie a little monster too, or Cujo lol.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=17037]Pugaboo[/MENTION] pups that young you can walk them to the corner streets. Most pups that age dont have breathing issues and dont mean they will in future age. If you start walking them young like yours to corner streets as we say, they get used to walking and as they age they keep going and not flop there like a couch potato. Nyala started at 3 months walking (any dog i owned)corner streets, 6 months she was doing one km and so on. Today she can do 6km. Yes we do a few pitstops and drink water. I never walk on the sunny side either. If it's stinking hot we do not go either. Duke went on his first walk a week ago. Did one hour but I picked him up often as he's about same age as yours. Dogs need to explore as you mentioned. They need to do different things n not the same routine or they will be brats throughout the day. I cracked up when you said......

"The second thing I tried was if one of the Pugs taunted HER, they went into timeout, if she picked on them SHE went into timeout. I will keep this up until they all come to understand..." I was thinking.... EVERYONE TIME OUT mom too!!! lolllll

So keep walking her and the pugs. Keep us posted!!!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=17037]Pugaboo[/MENTION] Sounds like you've started a great routine! I will follow this post and look for updates. Walking Joey during her puppy phase was the best advice anyone ever gave me. She loved them (then) and it really made a difference. Now she just SLOWLY walks down the driveway and sits. hahahaha

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Terry

Great update! One day at a time... stay consistent. Puppy stage is tough on the patience

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie

Terry

Great job, Hang in there, YOU GOT THIS!! This is what EXACTLEY what I had to do with Ellie, and was advised to do so by her puppy kindergarten trainer, and it worked wonders for her as well, though we don't have any other dogs, I WAS her chew toy, and she was SPUNKY, We too had a "time out " area for Ellie, which was an X-Pen, WAS super hard for mommy, to put her in there, when she was bad and listen to her howl bark and throw a fit, till she cooled down, BUT she got the idea, and silly as it is, SHE still goes in her "timeout" sometimes when she wants to chill out on her own...Ellie is now 1.5 Years old

Doobs41378

Mar 24, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Figgy
It will get better with time. Ours is almost 17 weeks and he still bites/nips but he has calmed down with a lot of the other things. He does play rough at daycare with the other dogs but they are much bigger than he.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.