Lolathebulldog55

May 15, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hi! I have a 10 week old english bulldog puppy and her name is Lola. In the past two days she has developed a little bit of aggression right before bed time, but only after playing with our outdoor cat, Charlie. She will play with him and will ignore me completely and when I try to pick her up, she growls and snarls at me and tries to bite. This isn't a playful growl either. Last night right before we went outside to potty one last time (and she played with the cat) she was cutting circles in the living room.
She also growled at my mother in law yesterday afternoon when she picked her up to bring her in the house. We don't want this behavior to continue and it's not all the time. Maybe 2/10 times she is picked up she does this and she is literally a perfect angel throughout rest of the day. until night time right before bed that she gets really aggressive and a little crazy.
Should we just not allow her to be around the cat for a couple days and see how it goes? She doesn't act like that around dogs.
Thanks!!
-Heather Currin

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This has to be a first regarding the cat... Lol I would say this is normal puppy behavior, that she will outgrow but I understand you don't want this to continue. Whenever my pups would act out (growling, nipping, etc...) I would say a FIRM NO, and if it continued I would ignore them and put them in a safe place. Their crate, or a gated area... she will want to be with you, and eventually she will figure out that IF she wants to stay with her pack she needs to stop acting out. Good luck and we would love to see some pics of your baby!!!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
She's still just a pup and needs lots of guidance and training. Like Tracey said, firm NO! It has to be consistent and come from everyone dealing with her, including your mother in law. You have to let her know you are alpha, and that behavior is not acceptable. I don't think it has to due directly with the cat, she may just be wound up from playing and since you'll pulling her from it, she's letting you know. LOL Still in play mode.

Maybe try separating them or distracting her towards bedtime, and give her time to unwind.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I cannot add anything to what's already been said so I'll simply say follow the advice in the ↑↑↑↑above replies↑↑↑↑ and get control of your Lola

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
When puppies are snarling at you and trying to bite it is a serious offence :)you must show them that you are an alpha dog, but in my opinion just NO is not enough in this situation, you should put her on her back, hold her firmly by the chest, or on her tummy, again, pressing her gently but firmly to the floor, saying no. She must be in dog's surrendering position. And hold like this until she stops growling. You must do it now, when you can easily control her. Another way, in which bitch is usually punishing puppies, is to grab skin on the back of her neck and shake couple of times. But this is a bit more "violent":)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
All great advice! !! Put it this way, only can have ONE alpha in a household and im pretty sure you wont let it be Lola. Probably end up being the cat lollllll.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
It definitely sounds like puppy play, I have a 12 week old that is similar. When Louie gets really crazy, I will put him in his crate and he usually falls asleep. It's kind of like a toddler, they get "crazy" when they are tired but don't want to take a nap. But as others have said, you have to let her know who the boss is and that is you.

OP
L

Lolathebulldog55

May 15, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Thank you so much everyone for the advice! With an 8 month old and 3 year old in the house we are just very cautious when it comes to aggression. She did great yesterday after keeping her away from the cat. No aggression at night time at all. I did let her play with the cat who thinks he is a dog, for about 5 minutes in the afternoon and then picked her up to go inside. No aggression. She is my third child for real.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My guy is 2 yrs and still gets feisty right before bed... it is like a last burst of energy.. toddler not wanting to sleep. Not every night, but on occasion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BullyPotato

Aug 14, 2016
VT
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Potato Pants (Tater)
My guy is 2 yrs and still gets feisty right before bed... it is like a last burst of energy.. toddler not wanting to sleep. Not every night, but on occasion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same but he's 3 ;)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.