Ratter

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Anyone have an English bulldog who is a ratter? I have an English and a French bulldog and whenever the Frenchie hears a squeak she goes crazy, but the English couldn't care less. We've never actually come across a rat or mouse in the wild, so I don't know what would happen.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:eek:
I have the opposite--
Lambeau loves squeaking toys... Cheli (our Frenchie) does not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Dollys Owner

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Interesting... Lambeau is very cute! I thought French bulldogs were more likely to be ratters since as part of the miniaturization process from their massive Bullenbeiser origins they cross bred them with the small terriers more than they did when they developed the English bulldogs. I guess every dog is different. My French is a rescue, so maybe she had to contend with some mice or rats in her former dwelling.

IMG-20170324-WA0001.jpgWP_20161224_14_02_20_Pro.jpg

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
When I get my EB, I'll let you know! But Jax loves a good squeaker toy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Don't get me wrong... if a mouse or rat were to be in Cheli line of site... they are in for a beating . Lambeau would bark and run the other way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
I think if Effie saw a rat, she would boof at them & then run the other way- she's so WIMPY! :lmao:
Josie on the other hand....the chase would be on. That girl is something else, she gives the wild bunnies around here quite the run!:giggle:
(they are both EB)

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Chumly was definitely a ratter. One night he wouldn't come in from the garden so my husband went out with a torch and all I heard was a lot of yelling of NOOOOO, Drop it! I went out to be greeted with the sight of Chumly with two back legs and a tail hanging out of his mouth. So Gross. He would not give it up. After a few minutes of us trying to catch him in the dark (out in the country, no lights) he did come back without it. We never found it next morning and I don't like to think what actually happened to it.... Monty I don't think would do anything, my dachshund would be on it in a second.

OP
Dollys Owner

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
How did Chumley every catch it? Thought rats were quicker.

Chumly was definitely a ratter. One night he wouldn't come in from the garden so my husband went out with a torch and all I heard was a lot of yelling of NOOOOO, Drop it! I went out to be greeted with the sight of Chumly with two back legs and a tail hanging out of his mouth. So Gross. He would not give it up. After a few minutes of us trying to catch him in the dark (out in the country, no lights) he did come back without it. We never found it next morning and I don't like to think what actually happened to it.... Monty I don't think would do anything, my dachshund would be on it in a second.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
We don't know. He was very quick when he wanted to be. Our big fear was that the rat was ill but there was no way of knowing. We watched him carefully to make sure he was OK and luckily the local farmer didn't use poison but we were surprised too, to say the least. It was one of the most disgusting things to see!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Last night my dogs had an oppossum. By the time I got there, he was all wet with dog saliva! He sure was playing "possum"', surrounded by 4 dogs. I picked him up by the tail and carried him across the road. Put him down,and he walked away.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh my goodness!!! weren't you scared of those big teeth!!! I walked right up to one once with no fear and he didn't do a thing. Then here where I live,,, I was all freeked out because I have chickens so I started yelling at it and it hissed and showed some crazy teeth!!! scary!
Last night my dogs had an oppossum. By the time I got there, he was all wet with dog saliva! He sure was playing "possum"', surrounded by 4 dogs. I picked him up by the tail and carried him across the road. Put him down,and he walked away.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
oh my goodness!!! weren't you scared of those big teeth!!! I walked right up to one once with no fear and he didn't do a thing. Then here where I live,,, I was all freeked out because I have chickens so I started yelling at it and it hissed and showed some crazy teeth!!! scary!

Possums are harmless. That is how they defend themselves, '"all bark and no bite!"

Possum.jpg

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Possums are harmless. That is how they defend themselves, '"all bark and no bite!"

View attachment 105775

I can't tell you how much I thank you for that. I think they're beautiful actually and I sat there beside that one until someone screamed at me to get away . It was at the high school I worked out in the mountains and I'm surprised now that they were so freaked out about it . I have a couple in the yard that cruise through that I will still lock up my chickens from ,but won't have a fear that was put into me way back when .

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
I can't tell you how much I thank you for that. I think they're beautiful actually and I sat there beside that one until someone screamed at me to get away . It was at the high school I worked out in the mountains and I'm surprised now that they were so freaked out about it . I have a couple in the yard that cruise through that I will still lock up my chickens from ,but won't have a fear that was put into me way back when .

I was completely ignorant about them too until a few years ago. This is also interesting.
Opossums: Mother Nature's Clean-Up Crew

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
They also love to sneak in the barn at night and eat the cat food! I have carried a lot of them into the woods. Once when my husband was living, we saw a dead "possum" on the road,and there were about 7 babies on her back,clinging to her. I wanted to bring them home and take care of them. My husband refused to, and you know that memory of those babies has haunted me ever since. So sad.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online