Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ratter

Quote Originally Posted by 1Chumly View Post
    Possums are harmless. That is how they defend themselves, '"all bark and no bite!"

Attachment 105775
    I can't tell you how much I thank you for that. I think they're beautiful actually and I sat there beside that one until someone screamed at me to get away . It was at the high school I worked out in the mountains and I'm surprised now that they were so freaked out about it . I have a couple in the yard that cruise through that I will still lock up my chickens from ,but won't have a fear that was put into me way back when .

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster 2013 - Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 RIP
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
    I can't tell you how much I thank you for that. I think they're beautiful actually and I sat there beside that one until someone screamed at me to get away . It was at the high school I worked out in the mountains and I'm surprised now that they were so freaked out about it . I have a couple in the yard that cruise through that I will still lock up my chickens from ,but won't have a fear that was put into me way back when .
    I was completely ignorant about them too until a few years ago. This is also interesting.
    Opossums: Mother Nature's Clean-Up Crew

Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

3. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

They also love to sneak in the barn at night and eat the cat food! I have carried a lot of them into the woods. Once when my husband was living, we saw a dead "possum" on the road,and there were about 7 babies on her back,clinging to her. I wanted to bring them home and take care of them. My husband refused to, and you know that memory of those babies has haunted me ever since. So sad.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

5. Likes 1Chumly, ddnene, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster 2013 - Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 RIP
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    They also love to sneak in the barn at night and eat the cat food! I have carried a lot of them into the woods. Once when my husband was living, we saw a dead "possum" on the road,and there were about 7 babies on her back,clinging to her. I wanted to bring them home and take care of them. My husband refused to, and you know that memory of those babies has haunted me ever since. So sad.
    Aww. I understand how you feel completely.

Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

7. Likes Manydogs liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

We had the same thing happen to us, but it was a SKUNK!!! Ray wouldn't let me put the babies in our car for safety, he said they would stink up the car but I have always heard that was a learned behavior.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

oh my gosh!!!! How could I have ever screamed at that poor critter... I'm in love and will have to inform anyone ever thinking they don't want them around to reconsider.... THANKS!!!! I truly mean that it is much appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Chumly View Post
    I was completely ignorant about them too until a few years ago. This is also interesting.
    Opossums: Mother Nature's Clean-Up Crew

10. Likes 1Chumly liked this post
    Dog Show Judge
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

We don't have possums here in Toronto but we do have the biggest urban population of raccoons in the world. They are horrible to have around since they are extremely smart so can get into your attic or garbage cans, vicious when cornered, can now possibly have rabies, and are not scared of anyone or anything. They look cute though LOL

12. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

when you say "carry" how is it you carry them out?? I used to live in mts and traped 'indoor' mice and would carry them up the road but no touch..... I have a sad story as well On day about 8 years ago, I was in the back of property (I'm in the city but have possum and raccoon on 1/3 acre with chickens) and along the fence was a possum. I stood there admiring it and then saw some little ones peake out from under her. I nearly cried with joy.... (I still loved them even though afraid) . I left her alone but so sadly I went back later to find one of the babies still on the fence, dead.. (do babies know how to play dead?) I figure while she was holding so still she suffocated one against the fence?? Anyway, that is something I carrie in guilt as well thinking I stared too long. I will say that I didn't find the little body so 'mabie' ?? the mom came back and got and it wasn't even really dead?

14. Likes Dollys Owner liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@Hankster I carry them out by their tail.They still pretend to be dead when you carry them! I'd say the mother went back and retrieved "your" little possum.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

16. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

This all just blows me away . And until that teacher yelled at me I don't think I had fear of any animal . And from then on I was really been scared of possum . I can't tell you how happy I am to read this stuff :-) thanks for helping me out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads