Help Needed! Stella does NOT sleep through the night!

phoefling

Feb 3, 2016
Chicago
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
We love Stella! My only issue right now is that she wakes us up once, twice, and sometimes three times in the middle of the night to relieve herself. A little bit of background is that she is 16 months old and is alone during the day about 8 hours while we are at work and almost never has an accident. We exercise her when we get home, feed her, etc. She usually wants to go to sleep by 7:30 or 8, so we try to keep her up longer. She will not drink from her water dish during the day, so she drinks all of her water in the evenings. We try to cut it off by 7:30, but she sometimes drags her water dish around to tell us she is thirsty, so we give-in let her have small amounts. Does anyone have suggestions that we can use to encourage her to sleep through the night. We are up at 5:30 am, so she gets to go out pretty early. Thanks for any and all help!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I have a few ideas:
1)You be the alpha. Tell her firmly to go to bed when she wakes you up and don't take her for a pee- she is manipulating you
2)I would try exercising her heavily a few hours before bedtime one night and see if that works.
3) Add some water to her dry dog food immediately before serving in the morning so she will have more water in her during the day and won't drink as much in the middle of the night. My dog laps up the water and then eats the kibble. Or give her dehydrated raw dog food that you have made into a stew, or canned dog food, each morning.
4) Cage her with a favourite toy and an article of your clothing and see if she pees in the cage every night for more than a few nights. Don't use her crate pad, put in some towels for easy cleanup if she pees. I have to cage one of my dogs occasionally for a few hours, and she quite often pees in cage even though I have taken her out, but never poos in it. I don't worry about it since i just have towels in the cage.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
We love Stella! My only issue right now is that she wakes us up once, twice, and sometimes three times in the middle of the night to relieve herself. A little bit of background is that she is 16 months old and is alone during the day about 8 hours while we are at work and almost never has an accident. We exercise her when we get home, feed her, etc. She usually wants to go to sleep by 7:30 or 8, so we try to keep her up longer. She will not drink from her water dish during the day, so she drinks all of her water in the evenings. We try to cut it off by 7:30, but she sometimes drags her water dish around to tell us she is thirsty, so we give-in let her have small amounts. Does anyone have suggestions that we can use to encourage her to sleep through the night. We are up at 5:30 am, so she gets to go out pretty early. Thanks for any and all help!

Hi there! Just a few questions, is Stella crated for the 8 hours she is alone during the day, until someone gets home? On the times she wakes you to go out (really good by the way, that she wakes you) does she pee ?? Last, where does she sleep?

OP
phoefling

phoefling

Feb 3, 2016
Chicago
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
We don't crate her at all. During the day she is in the basement with water, a bed, toys, bones, and the TV on. When she wakes us up in the night by ringing her bell, she does pee. She sleeps in the bed with us.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
We don't crate her at all. During the day she is in the basement with water, a bed, toys, bones, and the TV on. When she wakes us up in the night by ringing her bell, she does pee. She sleeps in the bed with us.

Great info! Is there any chance that you can have someone come in once in those 8 hours to take her out? Then lift water by 7pm regardless? Although 2 and three times during the night, and peeing everytime seems really frequent. Have you had her checked for UTI ?

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Wet food will give her more water throughout the day. I also suggest waking her up right before you go to bed to go potty.

Is there a source of light near her when she sleeps or nooses that could be waking her up. When she is awake she could need to go potty or just want attention. I found my boy slept much better in our bedroom where he couldbe near us.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:

What time is her last potty before bed? We always take ou guys out for a last pee around 9:30 - 10:00 and we are also up at 5:30 AM, worked great with Lambeau from 9 weeks old

Most Reactions