Crate Training a 6 month old EB

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
Pebbles is 6 months old & was potty trained to go thru our dog door pretty quick. That lasted about a month. Now she is peeing in the house. She still poops 3-4 times a day outside & multiple pee's outside.

Just about every night & find pee in the living room & last night a few poops. We have been taking her out about every hour to have her pee, praising her & giving a small treat. I take the water up at about 7pm & take her out at least 3 more times. Occasionally she will be outside for 2 hours exploring , come in for some water & just pee right on the floor..

I took her to be checked for UTI bu the vet could not get any pee out of her & we put her on a series of Clavamox as it seemed the most logical explanation.

That did not work.

We are resorting to crating her at night. i am going to buy a crate tonight, as much as i do not want to as we like her sleeping in bed with us but this is becoming a habbit we need to get straightened out.

Questions:

Buying a crate. I have read it should be large enough for her to turn around in but no larger so she will not pee in there???

Plastic one or the metal cage type?

How should i get her to start going in so she sees it as a safe place & not a punishment? I realize 6 months is pretty late to start this but no dog I have ever owned was this hard to train. I hate doing this & my wife is a very clean & decorated house person & is not looking forward to a crate being in the kitchen or for that matter anywhere.

We were going to get her spayed this friday, do you think it has anything to do with marking territory? we have 2 other dogs. 7 yr old shar pei with no eyes ( glaucoma) & a toy American Eskimo, 15 yrs old with health problems.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

pebbles.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Crate training is not punishment... I have crate trained ALL of my dogs, mostly for their safety when I'm not home or in case we need to keep them away from something going on in the home (visitors fearful of dogs or maintenance on the house). I always buy the larger metal crate and made it smaller if necessary... some crates actually have another divider for this purpose. Expect some LONG nights... most dogs will whine till they get used to the crate especially for the nighttime training. Once my pups stopped having accidents at night, I allowed them to sleep on the floor near our bedroom for the night. I'm actually allergic to dogs, so pups in the bed is a definite NO NO... Lol I would put her in it for a 10-20min at first, during the day... maybe while you run an errand to get her used to it. MOST dogs LOVE their crates and it becomes a place of comfort and security for them.

Bulldogs are notoriously HARD to train, especially potty training... many will regress at 6 months so don't despair. Just go back to your potty basic training... also at 6 months she could possible be peeing because she is fixing to go into heat. PLEASE do NOT have your pup spayed while she is in heat... your vet should be able to tell if she close to her cycle.

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
Thank you for the reply. Think I will try over the weekend so I can get some extra sleep if needed.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Pebbles is 6 months old & was potty trained to go thru our dog door pretty quick. That lasted about a month. Now she is peeing in the house. She still poops 3-4 times a day outside & multiple pee's outside.

Just about every night & find pee in the living room & last night a few poops. We have been taking her out about every hour to have her pee, praising her & giving a small treat. I take the water up at about 7pm & take her out at least 3 more times. Occasionally she will be outside for 2 hours exploring , come in for some water & just pee right on the floor..

I took her to be checked for UTI bu the vet could not get any pee out of her & we put her on a series of Clavamox as it seemed the most logical explanation.

That did not work.

We are resorting to crating her at night. i am going to buy a crate tonight, as much as i do not want to as we like her sleeping in bed with us but this is becoming a habbit we need to get straightened out.

Questions:

Buying a crate. I have read it should be large enough for her to turn around in but no larger so she will not pee in there???

Plastic one or the metal cage type?

How should i get her to start going in so she sees it as a safe place & not a punishment? I realize 6 months is pretty late to start this but no dog I have ever owned was this hard to train. I hate doing this & my wife is a very clean & decorated house person & is not looking forward to a crate being in the kitchen or for that matter anywhere.

We were going to get her spayed this friday, do you think it has anything to do with marking territory? we have 2 other dogs. 7 yr old shar pei with no eyes ( glaucoma) & a toy American Eskimo, 15 yrs old with health problems.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

View attachment 104492

Tracey gave you great advice... sometimes they just need a little reenfocemnt at 8-10 months. Marking in a female isn't unusual, my girl did this with our boys... she would always pee over top of his. I beleive it MIGHT be a domiance thing

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
Tracey gave you great advice... sometimes they just need a little reenfocemnt at 8-10 months. Marking in a female isn't unusual, my girl did this with our boys... she would always pee over top of his. I beleive it MIGHT be a domiance thing

I do not think it is dominance. I think she is lazy. Crate training is going ok. I take her out to pee then put her in the crate when I go to bed at about 10. No pee in the crate at 6:30 am when I wake up However she is still peeing in the house. Saturday she went all day with no accidents. Last night found pee in the kitchen, & my wife said she peed in the house 3 times yesterday. This dog stealth pees, she only gets out of sight for a second & then pees.

She will play in the back yard for an hour then come in, drink some water & pee. I don't get it. Never had this problem with any other dog.

ObietheWan

Mar 25, 2017
Kansas City
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Obie
Have you tried a deodorizer during clean up of her accidents? From what I've read, and I'm by no means an expert; dogs will frequent the same spot they habitually relieve themselves at, and their scent will only strengthen the case for her to want to continue. Either that or it's territorial. Either way, I would buy some nature's miracle to clean up behind her if you haven't already.

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
UPDATE:

After 2 weeks spending the night in the crate she is now back in bed with us & has not peed on the floor at night, not once.

The day she was spayed my wife talked me into letter her sleep with us.

We have gone 4 -5 days with no accidents in the house during the day.

Thank Goodness! I was starting to get worried this would never end.

Thanks everyone for their input.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
UPDATE:

After 2 weeks spending the night in the crate she is now back in bed with us & has not peed on the floor at night, not once.

The day she was spayed my wife talked me into letter her sleep with us.

We have gone 4 -5 days with no accidents in the house during the day.

Thank Goodness! I was starting to get worried this would never end.

Thanks everyone for their input.

Good news! Well now you know what worked.

OP
Andy T

Andy T

Jan 19, 2017
Clear Lake Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pebbles
Knock on wood. I was getting tired of going to sams to buy bulk paper towels as I was going thru almost a roll a day.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.