Bulldog that randomly starts barking at me for no apparent reason. Mostly when I'm trying to work from home at my desk.

Wilfred

Nov 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilfred & Dozer
Dozer is 2 1/2 years old. We have had him since he was 10 weeks old. We have one other male bulldog Wilfred who is 5. Dozer is the dominant dog over Wilfred. When Dozer was about 8 months old he started to develop obsessions with random objects ex: suitcases, cloths baskets, clothes hangers, hoses, drying rack in laundry room, large candles in our living room, pole lamps in our office. All items with the exception of the candles and the pole lamps he would just chew and destroy if we didn't catch him in time. The candles and pole lamps he would randomly go up to them and start barking that would slowly progress and then he would jump on these items. When we tried to distract him he would stop for a second and go right back to it unless wh physically removed him. About this same time he would bark at me that same way and eventually jump at me if I didn't stop him. During this time he seems to get a glazed over look in his eyes. He has been to the vet numerous times, a neurologist, a behaviorist and nobody seems to be able to figure out what is wrong. When he is not in this "state" he is a very loving bulldog. I'm just at at a loss of what to try next. He does get daily walks and it doesn't seem to matter if it's a short walk or longer walk he still acts the same. It's so weird because he can be laying sleeping next to my desk and he will suddenly wake up and start barking at me. He does not do this to my husband. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Not being an expert by any means but it sounds like something neurological going on to me, especially as he gets fixated on things before jumping on them. My AB would do that but it was my cats she suddenly started jumping on. She later started having seizures. I wish I had a suggestion but you have already done everything that we did. I hope you can get to the bottom of it and please let us know if you come up with anything.

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
It does sound like petite mal seizure behavior. Can you ask the neurologist about Gabepentin (generic name) Neurontin (non generic)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Dozer is 2 1/2 years old. We have had him since he was 10 weeks old. We have one other male bulldog Wilfred who is 5. Dozer is the dominant dog over Wilfred. When Dozer was about 8 months old he started to develop obsessions with random objects ex: suitcases, cloths baskets, clothes hangers, hoses, drying rack in laundry room, large candles in our living room, pole lamps in our office. All items with the exception of the candles and the pole lamps he would just chew and destroy if we didn't catch him in time. The candles and pole lamps he would randomly go up to them and start barking that would slowly progress and then he would jump on these items. When we tried to distract him he would stop for a second and go right back to it unless wh physically removed him. About this same time he would bark at me that same way and eventually jump at me if I didn't stop him. During this time he seems to get a glazed over look in his eyes. He has been to the vet numerous times, a neurologist, a behaviorist and nobody seems to be able to figure out what is wrong. When he is not in this "state" he is a very loving bulldog. I'm just at at a loss of what to try next. He does get daily walks and it doesn't seem to matter if it's a short walk or longer walk he still acts the same. It's so weird because he can be laying sleeping next to my desk and he will suddenly wake up and start barking at me. He does not do this to my husband. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

My boy Rambo started doing this to me about a year ago..... it usually always suggests he wants attention, although if I get up to go pet him and talk to him, sometimes he will dart for the door. If he does I will walk him again, suprisingly, sometimes he will use the restroom, sometimes he wants out knowing theirs a stray running loose. So then now Rocky has caught onto the trick, and usually when he does it, its s bathroom trip! I've had days with both of them that I've walked out of a bedroom and they will just sit in the hallway, as I get up to them, they will jump into the air, turn a circle and sit back down right in front of me daring me to move again, but this is playful time for them, usually occurs once a day, or if they miss one will catch me the next day.

Rambo is approx 75 pounds of big baby. When I recline in my recliner, (now I'm a big guy 6'2") My feet overhang the footstool by almost a foot. Rambo will stand on his hind legs, place his front paws over one leg and adjust all his weight onto my leg, until the recliner folds up! He's also notorious for falling asleep at my feet with his head on top of my foot. Rambo could care less about touching me, although he's notorious for hiding at the end of the hallway, and when his pesky brother bothers him, he will run the length of the hallway cattycorner the living room and dive into my lap nearly turning us all over in the recliner, until his brother jumps on the foot pedestal and levels us out. Still not sure what all the signs mean, but they usually all end up in mischief!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If this happens again.... can you get video and post it here? I tagged Cheryl (libra926) her Vegas has epilepsy and she may be able to provide some insight. Might be delayed response from her as she is on vacation right now, but post the video and she'll respond when she returns

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online