I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Manic and Frantic...what to do?

So glad that things are starting to settle. @mcardle3 It sounds like you have made quite a bit of progress in short of a month! I think the pooping is part of separation anxiety now that she is starting to feel more secure with you.That may take more time to change. As far as peeing in the car, it probably is the excitement and anticipation-since she loves the car rides! You can get some of those washable nursing home pads,that are waterproof on one side,for her to sit on.
    This habit may continue,because of the excitement she feels! You are doing a wonderful job for this dog-she is a lucky dog that she joined your family. Love the pictures! Thank you!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Manic and Frantic...what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by mcardle3 View Post
    ***UPDATE****

WE took her to the eye vet and found out some things.

She, at the time of the appointment was only seeing shadow. Her dry eye was not being addressed correctly and left her with vision loss. With eye flushes, some drops that will help clear that up some, and more lubricating drops we already see improvement. The eye vet says her vision will never be 100% but we will improve it a great deal. I'm consistent and a zealot of nothing else, and so if it can be...it will be.

Whoever said she had been more a kennel dog was dead on. She exhibited the behavior in front of the vet and they said it was classic "I am used to a kennel for safety, where is my kennel" behavior. We put her on an anxiety med (not prozac...something a whole lot less - at work and can't remember the name, think xanax for dogs) and we see some marked improvement. She still frantically runs from time to time but it is becoming less and less.

She LOVES my granddaughter Attachment 104394 They like to "love up" together and as my Gracie says...Maisie likes to make "KIND EYES" at Gracie too. I so love that.

Attachment 104395Attachment 104396

The only other behavior issues we are working out...

Pooping in the house while we are out. We tried crating her a couple of days which resulted in her pooping in the crate and basically painting herself with it. She is without a human from 8 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. when the dog walker comes in. She is then without human from 12:30 - 5:00 p.m. She will poop within a few minutes of us leaving (dog walker came in early a couple times to see what she was doing) but never poops in the house in the longer 12:30 - 5:00 time? When we are home, however (weekends), and take her out the same amount of times as she is out during the week...she never poops in the house. This may be separation anxiety?

Car peeing in the car She LOVES to ride and go places. She gets so excited to get in the car and sits happily while awaiting wherever it is we we land. In that time, however, she will pee on the blanket in the back of the car...Just the once, within moments of leaving the house...anyone?

So a great leap in improvement, and she's a work in progress...we'll get there.
    What a fantastic update!! baby steps.. please keep in mind to, she may have a set back here or there, but stay consistent and she will be a wonderful family member! We had to give our Banks Xanax for car rides, she was not a fan of them and would have almost a panic attack --- the Xanax was just enough to settle her, but she was not 'drugged'

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    So glad that things are starting to settle. @mcardle3 It sounds like you have made quite a bit of progress in short of a month! I think the pooping is part of separation anxiety now that she is starting to feel more secure with you.That may take more time to change. As far as peeing in the car, it probably is the excitement and anticipation-since she loves the car rides! You can get some of those washable nursing home pads,that are waterproof on one side,for her to sit on.
    This habit may continue,because of the excitement she feels! You are doing a wonderful job for this dog-she is a lucky dog that she joined your family. Love the pictures! Thank you!
    agree^^^^^
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

4. Likes Manydogs liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads