When a stranger tries to pet...

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
I had a frightening experience this past Sunday at Petco. Daphne and I were heading to the front doors to exit. Walking in and towards us was a mother and what I'd guesstimate a two year old little girl. The toddler ran up to Daphne,wrapped her arms around Daphne and started kissing Daphne all over her muzzle. Daphne is used to children and very placid. She just stood there. I wanted to scream at the mother who just stood there grinning like the village idiot, "What the hell is wrong with you!!?? Your child's could have ended up maimed and scarred for life and my poor dog euthanized." I just pulled Daphne away and kept on walking. People are soooo stupid. Bless Daphne's sweet soul and placid temperament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Joey sounds like Banks... outside of children she did not like nor did I allow her to be pet until she sniffed your hand. Kids and especially babies, she just loved and would allow petting-- but adult strangers-- I always told them to let her get your scent first.

Nitschke, Chelios and Lambeau are just all about loving everyone and everything

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Joey sounds like Banks... outside of children she did not like nor did I allow her to be pet until she sniffed your hand. Kids and especially babies, she just loved and would allow petting-- but adult strangers-- I always told them to let her get your scent first.

Nitschke, Chelios and Lambeau are just all about loving everyone and everything

Thanks Christine! It makes me feel better to get reassurance from long time bully owners! Whew!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=16690]Daphne DuMaurier[/MENTION] OMG I would have had a fit ! Honestly, I don't care how much you trust your fur baby they are still animals and it would only take a split second for an unsuspecting dog, minding his own business to snap out at a situation like that! BAD PARENT for sure and good girl Daphne!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks Christine! It makes me feel better to get reassurance from long time bully owners! Whew!

Banks was serious about it to... she would duck or move to avoid being touched till she smelled their hand. Once I picked up on it, we would place her in a sit and tell the person do not pet till she sniffs your hand -- they would always ask why... *smh*

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Banks was serious about it to... she would duck or move to avoid being touched till she smelled their hand. Once I picked up on it, we would place her in a sit and tell the person do not pet till she sniffs your hand -- they would always ask why... *smh*
THAT IS JOEY!! If they continue to try to pet her or come towards her, she backs up, darts around and barks

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
THAT IS JOEY!! If they continue to try to pet her or come towards her, she backs up, darts around and barks

Yep.. it was kind of funny... she would duck and weave till she was able to get that scent

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
I had a frightening experience this past Sunday at Petco. Daphne and I were heading to the front doors to exit. Walking in and towards us was a mother and what I'd guesstimate a two year old little girl. The toddler ran up to Daphne,wrapped her arms around Daphne and started kissing Daphne all over her muzzle. Daphne is used to children and very placid. She just stood there. I wanted to scream at the mother who just stood there grinning like the village idiot, "What the hell is wrong with you!!?? Your child's could have ended up maimed and scarred for life and my poor dog euthanized." I just pulled Daphne away and kept on walking. People are soooo stupid. Bless Daphne's sweet soul and placid temperament.

Oh my gosh we had the same thing happen with our bulldog Zeus who passed. He was friendly with everyone we came in contact and was used to Middle School aged kids and up but had never been around toddlers. He was asked to be in my sons football parade (Go Bulldogs) and this mother of a child that could barely walk maybe 1 1/2 walked that child right up to Zeus told her to give the puppy kisses. My husband and I turned around right when we heard her say that but it was too late to stop the child. I just stood there with my mouth open... thinking you have no idea who this dog is, what are you thinking. I was more scared of him getting excited and jumping on her and that would have been my fault in the eyes of the law. Zeus was great and I'm glad he didn't pick up on my scared energy. He just sat there and kissed her back.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=13584]NicosMom[/MENTION] OMG that is so frightening!!!!! Poor Zeus would have been blamed for sure. People that don't know dogs...or apparently their kids......make for a bad combination.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Mine is the opposite. When on walks he pulls on the leash because the people walking by aren't petting him. Once he has gotten a greeting and pats he will ignore you.
That is my Bella exactly! She will run to new person that she comes in contact with, whether in my house or outside, spend a few minutes being pet and licking them then all the sudden she is done. On to the next thing she can get into. She really only sits or lays on me when she is tired.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Nobody is allowed to touch my dogs until my permission is given (strangers). If we are on a walk and people are approaching us, my boys are trained to sit and stay until the people pass us. If they want to pet them, they have to ask. IMO this avoids any problems. My guys are super friendly but I don't want them jumping on strangers where it can be misinterpreted as aggression. People are stupid!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online